General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

We joke about voiding the warranty. WELL....

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 10:29 AM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by ColoFXDC
Amsoil does cause engine failures. A 2011 Mazda CX9 came into our shop one day, with internal engine noise.

Customer stated that he used Amsoil for his first and only oil change, which was just 5000 miles ago and the engine was deprived of oil. We only drained a 1/2 quart out of the oil Pans 6 quart capacity... The manufactur only paid 50% of the warranty claim citing the Amsoil as a cause of failure. The oil slipped past piston rings and burned without the customer knowing before it was too late.

While my bike is under warranty... I'm sucking it up and buying the Syn3 in case of any motor concerns under warranty as I don't want the Stealer or HD trying to pin it on me.
I don't use Amsoil but...I call BS...The vehicle burned 5 1/2 quarts of oil in 5000 miles and they are saying the oil is the cause...Really????? And if a newer vehicle burnt that much oil and the dude didn't notice the huge cloud of smoke, he deserves to pay the bill...WTF...

Old 09-14-2013, 10:38 AM
Markk9
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by traveler
20-50 is too thin for the transmission. I like rear differential oil.

~Joe
Do you really believe that...?

If you do, then you don't understand how different oil types are rated.

Old 09-14-2013, 10:43 AM
Markk9
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by themouth!!!
I hate oil threads but...Huh??? I agree with all three statements but they don't really tie together...Harleys might break oil down faster ( I would blame that on heat and not the sheer factor)...Bikes that share a transmission with the engine oil might break down oil faster (only sportsters do this...the rest have three separate oils...) Even if transmissions sheer oil faster, they don't share the same oil as the engine...What were you trying to say?
Because people make the blanket statement that motorcycle engines will sheer an oil faster. Harley-Davidson is one of the only bikes I know that doesn't have a shared sump. So in general most motorcycles do sheer oil faster, just not H-D.

Old 09-14-2013, 10:47 AM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Markk9
Because people make the blanket statement that motorcycle engines will sheer an oil faster. Harley-Davidson is one of the only bikes I know that doesn't have a shared sump. So in general most motorcycles do sheer oil faster, just not H-D.
Gotcha...That makes sense...I still hate oil threads

Old 09-14-2013, 11:11 AM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by vegashd
Absolutely it does. Motorcycles and Harley's tend to sheer oil at a much quicker rate. Will it lubricants fine? Sure. Will it need replacing a lot sooner? Probably!
A Harley is one of the lowest revving engines out there. I would think their sheering (shearing?) would be less than the high revving engines. Transmissions, I would think, all sheer at the same rate, based on mph. Plus, Harleys have a separate tranny and primary, unlike most other cycles which are unit construction.

Last edited by MNPGRider; 09-14-2013 at 11:42 AM.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:43 AM
BoonDock_Saint
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That bulletin should read, Purpose: Push more SYN3 to scare customers into using HD oil because we're losing customers to other brands.

Old 09-14-2013, 11:55 AM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
One thing is for certain. He lost 50% of the cost of a new engine because somebody didn't teach him right. You fill the tank full when you get fuel and check the oil every time you do it. As important as oil is, that's a no compromise rule for me. And on a motorcycle? I won't start one (at the beginning of the day) without checking the oil; on a long ride, every time I get fuel.
Overkill and Paranoid are a couple of words that come to mind. How many times, and how much oil, have you needed to add on a daily basis? Once you have a little history on a vehicles oil consumption rate I see no reason at all to check the level as often as you. If you all of a sudden puked a quart or two between fill-up's I think you'd know that without having to check the oil level.

Originally Posted by MNPGRider
A Harley is one of the lowest revving engines out there. I would think their sheering (shearing?) would be less than the high revving engines. Transmissions, I would think, all sheer at the same rate, based on mph. Plus, Harleys have a separate tranny and primary, unlike most other cycles which are unit construction.
Yes, Harley's are relatively low-revving engines, but... With a 4+ inch stroke, the reciprocating speed of the pistons is significantly higher at any given RPM than other higher-revving bikes.

Old 09-14-2013, 12:14 PM
Mercyfulfate
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

could someone tell what oil has been used?

Old 09-14-2013, 01:37 PM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by ColoFXDC
Amsoil does cause engine failures. A 2011 Mazda CX9 came into our shop one day, with internal engine noise.

Customer stated that he used Amsoil for his first and only oil change, which was just 5000 miles ago and the engine was deprived of oil. We only drained a 1/2 quart out of the oil Pans 6 quart capacity... The manufactur only paid 50% of the warranty claim citing the Amsoil as a cause of failure. The oil slipped past piston rings and burned without the customer knowing before it was too late.

While my bike is under warranty... I'm sucking it up and buying the Syn3 in case of any motor concerns under warranty as I don't want the Stealer or HD trying to pin it on me.
Not an Amsoil Cheerleader but.....

Does this mean that the million or two engines that are using Amsoil are going to fail or have already failed ? A vehicle manufacturer making the claim that the a certain oil brand is so slippery that is slipped past the rings may actually be most preposterous thing I've ever heard.

I don't know who the manufacturer is but that is a giant leap to say the least.

Also, why wouldn't the customer file a claim with Amsoil under their warranty? Which states in part.

WHAT AMSOIL WILL DO TO CORRECT A COVERED DEFECT:
If the AMSOIL lubricant is defective in materials, design and workmanship, AMSOIL will (1) replace the defective lubricant;
and (2) at AMSOIL’s option and cost, repair or replace components damaged by the defective AMSOIL lubricant. REPAIR
OR REPLACEMENT, AS PROVIDED IN THIS PARAGRAPH, IS THE CONSUMER’S SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE
REMEDY UNDER THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.

Answer: Because nobody would ever be able to prove that it happened.

Old 09-14-2013, 06:55 PM
vegashd
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MNPGRider
You mean like the super high revving powerstroke that shears oil worse then anything..... At all 2500rpm

Quick Reply: We joke about voiding the warranty. WELL....