General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

We joke about voiding the warranty. WELL....

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 08:19 AM
JustDave13
Extreme HDF Member

Received 15,100 Likes on 6,141 Posts

Originally Posted by vegashd
This was put out as many dealers use a 55 gallon bulk car oil drum and do cheaper oil chnges with it. The moco learns everything
Originally Posted by Toypuller
There are standards that oils have to meet. Any reputable motor oil will have passed those standards and can't be called "Inferior".

If the oils used, meet those standards, Harley can't touch it.

Reads to me like the Mother Ship is telling dealers to stop selling other brands when doing service.

Harley would be inviting a big, expensive, lawsuit by say an oil like Mobil One or Amsoil was causing engine failures.
The big problem, if any, would be the Harley dealers committing fraud by misrepresenting their product.
When bike owners bring their ride to the dealer for service they are led to believe and should expect nothing but HD products..right down to the fluids.
If they (the dealers) are charging for HD factory oil and using bulk Quaker State 20-50 then there is a real problem there, it's called fraud.

Old 09-14-2013, 08:26 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 161 Posts

I think in an attempt to raise earnings for it's stock holders, Harley had an epiphany. They made 2,000,000 motorcycles in the last 10 years, so why aren't we selling at least 16,000,000 or more, qts of oil a year? That's because the motorcycle oil aftermarket is taking away the sales. Look at what just the guys on this forum use. In one of the oil topic headings there's a section to post what you use and while Harley oil is mentioned, most feel there are better choices to use. And if you think about it, you can used just about any brand and it will work fine for you, as proven here. The actual number of motor failures is extremely low. So using only Harley oil because its "genuine" doesn't really mean much to most. Cost doesn't either. Guys spend top dollar, while others buy the cheapest the can find and it seems to work for them. It's impossible to say which is better or the best. Any oil company's marketing dept will claim theirs to be the best, but real world use hasn't proven any one to be the perfect oil, Harley's either.,,

Old 09-14-2013, 08:26 AM
Vincewd
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

HD could never void a warranty because you use another type oil or filter on your bike, and they know it. If it was a requirement they would have to offer the service and the oil, filters free.
I built transmissions for AAMCO years ago, they had a lifetime warranty and I think still do. to maintain the warranty you had to come in for annual service( drop pan, change filter and oil ) and pay for it. The FTC jumped in and said they couldn't charge for the service if it was a requirement to maintain the warranty. They started doing the service for free.

The same would happen to HD.

Old 09-14-2013, 08:51 AM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Mobil1 V twin in the engine and primary and you will NEVER have a problem.

Change the filter every single time you change the oil

Check the oil before you go ride.

20-50 is too thin for the transmission. I like rear differential oil.

~Joe

Old 09-14-2013, 08:52 AM
Glockmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lets not get our panties in a bunch over nuth'n.

Originally Posted by panz4ever
Guess this means my 49EL is no longer under warranty! Damn...not sure what I am going to do now.

I hate watching you suffer such a devastating realization and the stress of uncertainty. I'll buy the bike in the photo for a generous amount of rolled coins. Some will even be American coins.

Let me know.

Last edited by Glockmeister; 09-14-2013 at 08:59 AM.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:02 AM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 16,988 Likes on 8,639 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty901
Personally I would use walmart brand before I would use amsoil . That said I do not use Hd and never had any warranty issues
At $13-$14/quart for Harley`s synthetic oil, I find it ridiculous to pay that kind of money. I can have the same rated oil (Valvoline 20/50 V-twin synthetic motorcycle oil) for less than $6/quart from Walmart and have it delivered to my door.

Old 09-14-2013, 09:10 AM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Qdog002
You own a $8000 to $35000 motorcycle that`s under warranty for at least 2 yrs. Even if you do your own fluid changes, isn`t spending a little more money for HD fluids while under warranty worth it? Who needs or wants a hassle? IMO
If you like spending more money at the "steallership", then go ahead. If another brand of oil is rated equally or better than Harley`s brand, and it`s a lot cheaper, then I`ll change my own oil and save big bucks.

Old 09-14-2013, 09:12 AM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Markk9
As long as the oil meets the CH-4 spec, H-D can do nothing about your choice of oil.
Exactly!

Old 09-14-2013, 09:16 AM
topgeye
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ColoFXDC
Amsoil does cause engine failures. A 2011 Mazda CX9 came into our shop one day, with internal engine noise.

Customer stated that he used Amsoil for his first and only oil change, which was just 5000 miles ago and the engine was deprived of oil. We only drained a 1/2 quart out of the oil Pans 6 quart capacity... The manufactur only paid 50% of the warranty claim citing the Amsoil as a cause of failure. The oil slipped past piston rings and burned without the customer knowing before it was too late.

Mazda is in cahoots with Castrol so maybe that is why they claim Amsoil is junk.

Why has Mazda formed a strategic alliance with Castrol?
Mazda has recognized that by working with Castrol, we can deliver additional value by
leveraging our respective strengths. Castrol is a leader in the automotive lubricants industry
and is well positioned to support Mazda. Castrol motor oils are among the very few oils
available in the U.S. that meet the highest international standards.
You can save money on your next oil change with Castrol’s
Complete Satisfaction Rebate Program. The program offers a $7
rebate on a Castrol GTX oil change, and a $10 rebate on a Castrol
SYNTEC Blend oil change. Only at participating Mazda dealers.
C
a
strol products
a
re m
a
de to fit
the precise needs of M
{
zd
{
c
a
rs.
Castrol SYNTEC
Proven Power Technology*
• Helps your vehicle maintain maximum horsepower by reducing harmful deposit formation.
• Advanced additive package that neutralizes corrosive particles.
• Provides stability and endurance under extreme conditions like heat, load, and speed.
• Castrol SYNTEC 5W-30 exceeds all car and light truck manufacturer’s warranty
requirements for the protection of gasoline and turbocharged engines where API SM,
SL, and SJ is recommended. Exceeds European ACEA: A1/B1, A5/B5, and all requirements
of ILSAC GF-3/GF-4/GF-5 for API Certified Gasoline Engine Oils, and meets Energy Conserving
Standards.
* In extreme tests, Castrol SYNTEC 5W-30 maintained maximum horsepower longer than the leading conventional 5W-30.
Castrol SYNTEC BLEND
Superior Short Trip Protection.*
• Provides additional stability and protection against thermal breakdown compared to
conventional oils.
• High level of fuel economy based on US industry standards.**
• Prevents harmful engine deposits.
• Exceeds all the requirements of ILSAC GF-3/GF-4/GF-5.**
* 5W-30 and 10W-30 only
** 5W-20, 5W-30 and 10W-30 grades
Castrol GTX
Superior Level of Protection Against Harmful Deposit Build-Up
• Castrol GTX exceeds demanding U.S. high shear and stay-in-grade requirements for viscosity
breakdown protection.
• Engineered to provide maximum protection against viscosity and thermal breakdown.
• Anti-oxidants, detergents and dispersants provide unsurpassed protection against
thermal breakdown.
• Exceeds passenger car and gasoline light truck requirements for the protection of gasoline
and turbocharged engines where API SM, SL, SJ or SH is recommended.
• Exceeds all the requirements of ILSAC GF-3/GF-4/GF-5.**
* In 5W-20, 5W-30 and 10W-30 grades measured in VG Sludge test
** 5W-20, 5W-30 and 10W-30 grades

Old 09-14-2013, 10:22 AM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Markk9
H-D's engine does sheer oil any faster than an auto engine. What sheers the oil so fast in most other bikes, is the shared sump with the transmission. The transmission is what sheers the oil faster.
I hate oil threads but...Huh??? I agree with all three statements but they don't really tie together...Harleys might break oil down faster ( I would blame that on heat and not the sheer factor)...Bikes that share a transmission with the engine oil might break down oil faster (only sportsters do this...the rest have three separate oils...) Even if transmissions sheer oil faster, they don't share the same oil as the engine...What were you trying to say?

Last edited by Northbound Southerner; 09-14-2013 at 10:26 AM.

Quick Reply: We joke about voiding the warranty. WELL....