General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

We joke about voiding the warranty. WELL....

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 06:26 AM
BigDawgQC
Road Warrior
Veteran: Army
Received 336 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Rog48
Yup, if Harley says the CUSTOMER must use Harley fluids then Harley has to supply those fluids free of charge.

Thats NOT what the bulletin says though. Harley is telling the DEALERS to use Harley oil, if they dont then the warranty repair may be on the DEALERS dime. All perfectly legal.
Spot on.

Old 09-14-2013, 06:30 AM
Def Mute
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Yup, if Harley says the CUSTOMER must use Harley fluids then Harley has to supply those fluids free of charge.

Thats NOT what the bulletin says though. Harley is telling the DEALERS to use Harley oil, if they dont then the warranty repair may be on the DEALERS dime. All perfectly legal.
That is also why the OP's service tech would not give him a copy of the bulletin, it was not intended for customers. The MoCo was crackin down on the capitalist pigs that sell harleys simply because it's a high dollar market. They're making some real bank with cheaper oil.

Old 09-14-2013, 07:02 AM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 250 Likes on 146 Posts

That makes sense, although the guy in the part dept made it sound different, and the bulletin doesn't specifically say repair would be on the dealers dime. Kind of vague and I wonder if any dealer would try to charge a customer for work that should be under warranty if something like this ever happens.

Old 09-14-2013, 07:35 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,817 Likes on 3,171 Posts

Originally Posted by vegashd
Absolutely it does. Motorcycles and Harley's tend to sheer oil at a much quicker rate. Will it lubricants fine? Sure. Will it need replacing a lot sooner? Probably!

Really? Actually I run both ( "Motorcycle" Mobil in the hotter summer, "Automotive" in the winter,) and I'm still tickin'. And many others have run purely automotive and have more mles that I ( Sefferdog for one.)

The Dealers don't see people like us very often (never,) so for low mileage riders it definitely wouldn't make any difference IMO ( and the Dealers know it.)

The point is though that if I did get an oil change at a Dealer, I would certainly assume that I was getting either HD Dino or Syn 3 unless they told me in advance that I was getting "off brand stuff."

Attached Thumbnails We joke about voiding the warranty. WELL....-0706131303a.jpg  

Last edited by Stiggy; 09-14-2013 at 07:41 AM.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:45 AM
Qdog002
Stellar HDF Member
Received 868 Likes on 547 Posts

You own a $8000 to $35000 motorcycle that`s under warranty for at least 2 yrs. Even if you do your own fluid changes, isn`t spending a little more money for HD fluids while under warranty worth it? Who needs or wants a hassle? IMO

Old 09-14-2013, 08:03 AM
johnjay
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HD Oil sales are a little low and this will perk them right back up. Doesn't bother me as I don't burn much oil and for what it cost compared to other bike expenses it's a drop in the bucket.

Old 09-14-2013, 08:07 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,817 Likes on 3,171 Posts

Originally Posted by Qdog002
You own a $8000 to $35000 motorcycle that`s under warranty for at least 2 yrs. Even if you do your own fluid changes, isn`t spending a little more money for HD fluids while under warranty worth it? Who needs or wants a hassle? IMO
Because there are vastly better oils out there?

Old 09-14-2013, 08:09 AM
Markk9
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by vegashd
Absolutely it does. Motorcycles and Harley's tend to sheer oil at a much quicker rate. Will it lubricants fine? Sure. Will it need replacing a lot sooner? Probably!
H-D's engine does sheer oil any faster than an auto engine. What sheers the oil so fast in most other bikes, is the shared sump with the transmission. The transmission is what sheers the oil faster.

Old 09-14-2013, 08:13 AM
Markk9
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

As long as the oil meets the CH-4 spec, H-D can do nothing about your choice of oil.

Old 09-14-2013, 08:17 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,283 Likes on 22,625 Posts

Originally Posted by Xube
So this goof didn't check his oil level for 5000 miles?
That would explain it I'm thinkin'?

Quick Reply: We joke about voiding the warranty. WELL....