General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

We joke about voiding the warranty. WELL....

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 09:24 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,346 Likes on 1,520 Posts

Guess this means my 49EL is no longer under warranty! Damn...not sure what I am going to do now.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:30 PM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i furnish mobil 1 products to the dealers for all of my oil changes...the dealer where i bought the bike also sells amzoil and redline.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:33 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 516 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Crimson
Its clear they are talking about DEALERS offering oil changes not using Harley oil and not disclosing that to the customer. If I get my oil changed at a dealership I expect it to be Harley oil.
That is the way I read it too.

Also, this really isn't anything that any other manufacturer would list.

Taken from the bulletin posted above.
Notice the use of the words "may".
Nothing at all unusual about that, and they are correct in stating something like that.
If you have engine damage AND they can prove it was because you used inferior lubricants, all manufacturers will deny warranty coverage.

But unless they can actually prove it was the oils fault, they can't deny coverage just because you used another brand of oil.

Use of inferior lubricants may affect warranty coverage

Engine warranty claims are subject to review and may be denied if it is found that inferior lubricants are used.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:47 PM
KYBill
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Yep, I read it the same way. Nothing to stop a bike owner from using a reputable brand to do his own warranty work. Maybe leverage to allow a dealer to refuse to install customer provided fluids ( do they allow that today?).

If a customer does their own warranty work then HD corporate would have to prove an inferior or incompatible oil to deny the warranty. Inferior? maybe, if someone used some no name off-brand with no performance rating at all. But incompatible? No chance if they claim they use proprietary formulas. They would have to disclose the proprietary ingredients in open court to prove incompatability. Or so this non lawyer thinks.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:21 PM
Xube
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ColoFXDC
Amsoil does cause engine failures. A 2011 Mazda CX9 came into our shop one day, with internal engine noise.

Customer stated that he used Amsoil for his first and only oil change, which was just 5000 miles ago and the engine was deprived of oil. We only drained a 1/2 quart out of the oil Pans 6 quart capacity... The manufactur only paid 50% of the warranty claim citing the Amsoil as a cause of failure. The oil slipped past piston rings and burned without the customer knowing before it was too late.

While my bike is under warranty... I'm sucking it up and buying the Syn3 in case of any motor concerns under warranty as I don't want the Stealer or HD trying to pin it on me.
So this goof didn't check his oil level for 5000 miles?

Old 09-13-2013, 10:36 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

It proves that an old saying is fact...

Many a truth is said in jest.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:47 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,013 Likes on 577 Posts

Next thing they will say that is any oil other than HD is inferior!

Old 09-13-2013, 11:16 PM
ColoFXDC
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Xube
So this goof didn't check his oil level for 5000 miles?
Unfortunately.. No he didn't. However... With a 18,000 mile old engine, I don't think it's at all necessary and with a 7500 mile oil change interval. He should of been fine. if the customer had used straight up Dino oil he'd of been fine. There's been cases where Amsoil is too thin and gets even thinner than normal when hot. Hence the damage. But Amsoil sure has separated a lot of people from their money with their Snake Oil...

Old 09-13-2013, 11:37 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,817 Likes on 3,171 Posts

Originally Posted by vegashd
This was put out as many dealers use a 55 gallon bulk car oil drum and do cheaper oil chnges with it. The moco learns everything
Yep, because even the Dealers learned along time ago that it doesn't really matter what oil you use.

Old 09-13-2013, 11:49 PM
bwana1
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

BULLSHIL BULLSHIL BULLSHIL

Next, they will tell you that they have a taste test to determine what flavor you are running.

Bwana

Quick Reply: We joke about voiding the warranty. WELL....