General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock Harley carb or Mikuni & which intake manifold?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 08:32 PM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 429 Likes on 259 Posts
Default Stock Harley carb or Mikuni & which intake manifold?

Since I am gathering parts for the EFI to CARB conversion, I thought I would throw this out there. There were some older threads, however, I'm looking for some fresh insight.

Seems like the two are close in performance, how are they to work on? Easy dis-assembly and access to jets?

Intake manifolds - S&S? I looked at their kits, are those Super-E carbs good?

40? 42? 45?

Last edited by Road Star; 09-13-2013 at 08:36 PM.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:58 PM
Crimson
Road Master
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

I had a Harley CV Carb, then a Super E Carb on my 1996 RK (EVO).. Honestly, I wish I had went to the Mikuni. The CV had the best mileage.. the Super E had better performance, but MUCH worse mileage and I could never dial it in the way I wanted. I've heard Mikuni's are the way to go and after my experience with the CV and Super E, I'd choose Mikuni now but I can say I haven't used one before.

Old 09-14-2013, 06:13 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

As with so many things in life you have plenty of choices. I for one have always run S&S carbs because of their ease of tuning even while still on the bike.
Have a new HSR45 Mik with manifold on a shelf was going to use on RK problem was throttle cable interference under tank and had to remove carb to make any changes.

Old 09-14-2013, 09:36 AM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 429 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by dog155
As with so many things in life you have plenty of choices. I for one have always run S&S carbs because of their ease of tuning even while still on the bike.
Have a new HSR45 Mik with manifold on a shelf was going to use on RK problem was throttle cable interference under tank and had to remove carb to make any changes.
Are there issues with fitting the Mikuni under the tank?

Old 09-14-2013, 10:18 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Road Star
Since I am gathering parts for the EFI to CARB conversion, I thought I would throw this out there. There were some older threads, however, I'm looking for some fresh insight.

Seems like the two are close in performance, how are they to work on? Easy dis-assembly and access to jets?

Intake manifolds - S&S? I looked at their kits, are those Super-E carbs good?

40? 42? 45?
I've worked with both the CV and S&S on Harleys. The CV is easily tuned for decent performance. I preferred the S&S. It provides better acceleration, as the throttle is controlled directly from the throttle cable (CV is vacuum operated) and the accelerator pump is adjustable.

Every part in the S&S carb is available through a wide distribution network or directly and the documentation and tech support are first rate. Tuning is easy and well documented. Fuel mileage is excellent when properly tuned.

I've used Mikuni's on other bikes (Norton Commando). They are great carbs that can be finely adjusted...but they aren't as well understood as the other two. There is a great tuning manual available thru Sudco (large Mikuni distributor). I used the older round slide carbs, but I'm sure the HSR (flat slide) is equally good.

They will all work, but if I had to spend money on a new carb it wouldn't be a CV. If you already have one it's worth a shot as cost would be minimal.

S&S might be the most complete solution for a Harley as it comes with everything from intake manifold to air cleaner. And who doesn't like the iconic S&S air cleaner??

Old 09-14-2013, 07:27 PM
ffatboy03
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a HSR42 on my 2000 Heritage. Noticeable difference in power and performance between the Mikuni and the Harley carb. You won't be sorry if you put a Mikuni on your bike. No fitment issues either.