General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New helmet proposal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 04:46 PM
Jezcruzen
Stellar HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New helmet proposal?

I'm not getting into the helmet/no helmet argument. That one has been trashed out pretty good. Here, however, is some information forwarded to me recently. It seems like a lot of grandstanding to me. I don't see where this proposal would do anything for anyone except the one pushing it. Read on.

Published on 02/23/2007

Peters urges providing helmets with all new motorcycles
Saying "the time has come to make the helmet standard safety equipment," Department of Transportation (DOT) Secretary Mary E. Peters recently called on manufacturers to provide free or heavily discounted DOT certified helmets or driver safety training with the purchase of every new motorcycle sold in the United States. "Helmets and proper training are just as important as brakes or headlights when it comes to the well-being of motorcyclists," Secretary Peters said. "We shouldn't be letting any customer take a bike out of the store without a helmet as part of the package. Safety shouldn't have to be an option when purchasing a motorcycle." Peters said only 58% of riders wear helmets today, which is down 13% from just four years ago. She added that manufacturers could help reverse the trend by getting helmets into riders’ hands and training them how to ride safely, noting that 700 motorcyclists would survive crashes every year if they wore helmets.
During remarks to the Motorcycle Industry Council in Indianapolis IN, Peters praised those manufacturers already providing free training for riders.
However, she said she was asking for help from manufacturers because while motorcycles account for only two percent of the vehicles on the road, they are involved in over 10% of all crashes. She added that motorcycle fatalities have more than doubled in 10 years and now account for over 4500 highway deaths and 78,000 injuries each year. Even worse, the crash rate among motorcyclists in the 50 plus age group has increased by over 400%, she said.
Peters noted that the helmet she was wearing during her 2005 motorcycle crash likely prevented severe head injury. "I know from first-hand experience how effective helmets can be," she said. Peters also said DOT was "attacking" the challenge of motorcycle safety on several fronts. Last September, DOT awarded over $6 million in safety grants to states to support motorcycle safety. In addition, the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) has established a Motorcycle Advisory Council to focus on making roads safer for motorcyclists and will continue work begun by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) on a Motorcycle Crash Causation Study to identify why motorcycle crashes occur and find ways to reduce the fatality and injury rates.

Old 03-07-2007, 09:24 PM
69Shark
Tourer
Default RE: New helmet proposal?

There is no such thing as a FREE HELMET. Someone will pay for it. I bet itwill be the person buying the bike!

Scott

Old 03-08-2007, 02:15 AM
tater2stock
Cruiser

Is it just me or is she making her point by picking and choosing only the statistics she likes?

Accidents in the 50+ ace group up 400%
What is the increase in riders in that group in the same timeframe?

Old 03-08-2007, 02:26 AM
Eyespy
Road Warrior
Location: Southern California High Desert, here and there....

ORIGINAL: tater2stock

Is it just me or is she making her point by picking and choosing only the statistics she likes?

Accidents in the 50+ ace group up 400%
What is the increase in riders in that group in the same timeframe?
I read "crash rate".

Old 03-08-2007, 12:03 PM
ride99fxd
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe a free training course with all new cars, so drivers can tell the difference between a motorcycle and a lamp post.

Old 03-08-2007, 01:27 PM
BuckeyeHD
Tourer

ORIGINAL: ride99fxd

Maybe a free training course with all new cars, so drivers can tell the difference between a motorcycle and a lamp post.
[sm=funnypostabove.gif] And instructions on how to stay in their lane when turning left (and not cut the corner)!!!

Old 03-08-2007, 01:32 PM
EasternSP
Banned
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 24,869 Likes on 9,332 Posts

She might do better to suggest a free Cell Phone pocket so drivers will pay more attention to the road than a conversation they are immersed in.

Old 03-08-2007, 01:35 PM
DickGrayson
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: BuckeyeHD

[sm=funnypostabove.gif] And instructions on how to stay in their lane when turning left (and not cut the corner)!!!
Or instructions on how to turn into the right-most lane when taking a right from a side street instead of cutting over into a left lane in front of me. Or instructions on not needing to swing wide way out into the left lane to make a simple right-hand turn.

Old 03-08-2007, 02:23 PM
Zyklon
Tourer

Statistics can be manipulated to favor what ever position you wish to espouse. But, if the accident rate is going up on people in the fifty years and older area it should not be surprising. Many baby boomers are approaching retirement age. The kids are grown, the house is paid for, and if they have saved for retirement and or invested wisely then they should have some discretionary money for toys. Many of them will use the money to purchase the motorcycle that have they wanted forever but have put off buying because of house payments, assisting their kids with college, and all the other stuff that goes with trying to make ends meet and do so in moderate comfort. They may have ridden previously, but skills get rusty and age diminishes reaction times. Even though there may be an increase in older rider’s accident rates I would bet that the younger sport bike riders are still involved in the preponderance of cycle accidents. I think that older riders would tend to be the more conservative riders and not take the chances or push the envelope like the younger riders. I also think that we will see a big increase in older cruiser and touring bike riders over the next eight to ten years. The sheer numbers of new or returning riders alone will tend to show an increase in accident rates. As far as wearing a helmet I think that it should be up to the discretion of the rider. But don’t rag or someone because of their decision to wear or not wear one.

Zyklon