General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lay it down, or ride it out?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 08:54 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Lay it down, or ride it out?

I would hope to have a half a chance to react,if so I would try an ride it out.Otherwize,I guess the outcome is obvious.CRASH!

Old 03-08-2007, 09:07 AM
Blue SOG
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I assume this thread is in response to a comment I made in another thread... I believe it's a really good idea to bring this up from time to time due to the misconceptions a lot of motorcyclists have regarding this topic, IMO, so "thanks" Mike.

"Laying it down" is NOT an option to me. I've been in several of these situations over the years and HARD braking IS the answer. I'm 100% convinced that I'm alive today because I DIDN'T "lay it down" on at least 2 of those "situations".

Old 03-08-2007, 12:01 PM
oldbikenut
Tourer

The key is the old military adage. "Maximum utilization of available resources."

Can you avoid contact by swerving left? If not, can you avoid contact by swerving right? If not, then its time for PANIC STOP. This means knowing how to use BOTH brakes to their maximum potential. I can't possibly see that laying the bike down would help you do this.

Every mile per hour you can shave off of that bike before the collision increases your chances of surviving intact. Even that may not save you, but it may make the difference between a broken arm, and a broken neck.

There is no magic bullet that will protect you in all situations. There may be some fool behind you that is not alert. The best you can do is to be as prepared as you can for all threats. You have to work at it.

Old 03-08-2007, 12:11 PM
bks6721
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got lucky. Skill had nothing to do with it as I was a noob on my first bike when I had a car pull out right in front of me while I was cruisin at 50 through downtown Charleston SC. I did not have time to think.. my reaction was pure instinct and I got lucky. I hit both brakes hard. The rear locked and started to swing to the right but I didn't let off. I turned into the slide with the front but didn't let off either brake. I slid at about a 45 degree angle to the road with my left foot down on the road, just like I used to slide my dirtbike as a kid. At this point I was only about 3ft off the bumper of the cage. Once I knew I wasn't gonna hit the car I SLOWLY eased up on the rear brake and straightened the bike out. I pulled into the next parking lot and waited for my heart to start beating again. Could I pull it off intentionally, most likely not. Thats why I said I got really lucky.

Old 03-08-2007, 01:41 PM
Snobal
Tourer

ORIGINAL: PlanoRider

How do you practice panic stops with a 700+lbs Harley without risking locking the front brake and doing a high side or locking the rear brake and doing a low side? Just because you are alone in a parking lot does not mean it won't be a bad accident if you miscalculate trying to find that perfect point where the brakes are on the most they can be without locking it up. In fact I don't see how you could find out where that is without locking them up????
What you need to practice is Quick Stops, not Panic Stops.

Try this in a parking lot rather than a public street.

Start at a low speed, maybe 10 mph and just gently apply BOTH brakes. Do it again with just a little more pressure. And again, and again.

As youlearn to apply more pressure to the brakes, your stopping distancewill get shorter (a good thing). Add a little more pressure to the brakes at each stop.

If you lock the front wheel, immediatelyrelease the brake lever and re-apply the brake properly (squeeze it, not grab it)

If you lock the rear brake on pavement, keep it locked until the bike comes to a complete stop. Keep your knees against the tank, head and eyes up. Next time, don't use so much rear brake.

Maximum brakingis a physical skill that requires repetition and frequent practice.

As you practice, you will learn your bike and improve your skills at stopping.

As your skills improve, increase the speed to 15 MPH, then 20 MPH, etc.

The key is: Practice, Practice, Practice.

By the way, locking the rearwheel and then releasing the rear brake while the bike is out of alignment with the path-of-travel produces a "high side" fall (serious!) while locking the front wheel produces a "low side" fall (skinned up bike and pride).

And "Yes," I have dropped my 800lb Road Sofa while practicing stopping.

Old 03-08-2007, 03:00 PM
C.Jay
Tourer

Ride, maneuver, and proper use of brakes. That is all you need to know

Old 03-08-2007, 04:52 PM
SERB
Tourer

I have been riding for 14 years and finally had my first accident last July. My neighbor 4 doors down from me was on her cell phone and turned in front of me while pulling into her driveway. I made the mistake of braking with the front brake too hard w/o any rear brake while trying to turn to my left to go behind her. Next thing I know I layed it down and stopped about 12 inches from the *** end of her SUV. I busted my turn signals, scraped my primary cover, bent my shift lever, scratched my highway peg and mirror and broke the top cover of my clutch lever. I did not fare as well. I broke my tibia and got a nice road rash on my left side. My left ankle was sprained badly and had the worst of the road rash. It is still purple.

The lesson learned was DO NOT RIDE WITH YOUR HEAD UP YOUR ***! This particular incident could possibly been avoided if I was not taking a quick look at my neighbors daughter putting down the top of her car. I was also stupid in wearing shorts, a tank top, and tennis shoes.

My leg is just now feeling strong enough to support the weight of my bike and I have been starting to ride again. My full attention is back to the business of riding and I dress for the occasion.

Be safe.

Old 03-08-2007, 05:13 PM
Maple Leaf Hog
Advanced

Had a similar incident on a very tight on-ramp to a highway.
Went around the corner and caught a tar snake.
The rear end starting going out. Justed dropped the boot and stood her staight up.
This was at about 30 mph. Scared the s**t out of me.
Boot was buzzing for about half hour after that.
Bottom line I stayed up.

[IMG]local://upfiles/22010/64A8E64687B243A0B4B17F7B57416DA1.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-09-2007, 02:06 AM
IOMC Qball
Tourer

ORIGINAL: SERB

I have been riding for 14 years and finally had my first accident last July. My neighbor 4 doors down from me was on her cell phone and turned in front of me while pulling into her driveway. I made the mistake of braking with the front brake too hard w/o any rear brake while trying to turn to my left to go behind her. Next thing I know I layed it down and stopped about 12 inches from the *** end of her SUV. I busted my turn signals, scraped my primary cover, bent my shift lever, scratched my highway peg and mirror and broke the top cover of my clutch lever. I did not fare as well. I broke my tibia and got a nice road rash on my left side. My left ankle was sprained badly and had the worst of the road rash. It is still purple.

The lesson learned was DO NOT RIDE WITH YOUR HEAD UP YOUR ***! This particular incident could possibly been avoided if I was not taking a quick look at my neighbors daughter putting down the top of her car. I was also stupid in wearing shorts, a tank top, and tennis shoes.

My leg is just now feeling strong enough to support the weight of my bike and I have been starting to ride again. My full attention is back to the business of riding and I dress for the occasion.

Be safe.
Serb, I don't understand your analogy here. A cage denies your ROW pulling in front of you and you're laying blame on yourself for a momentary lapse of judgement and for wearing the wrong clothes??? WTF??Kinda like some chick getting raped and blaming herself for wearing a low cut blouse..I don't get it, brother

Old 03-09-2007, 02:18 AM
dadio
Advanced

I get it even if you don't. Pay attention to the road, every cager out there is out to kill ya. Second, with proper gear bodily damage could have been reduced. I don't think he's beating himself up, it's an after incident critique.

Quick Reply: Lay it down, or ride it out?