Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lay it down, or ride it out?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 09:03 PM
PaFatboy
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Lay it down, or ride it out?

This is my little tale: Back in Nov.it was a beautiful Sunday, so I rode over (30mi) to Battlefield Harley in Gettysburg Pa. On my way back home (I glanced away for a second) I looked up and a SUV was stopped. I hit the brakes, naturally the rear wanted to come around. I could see what the outcome was going to be. Couldn't go right to the burm. Don't want to lay it down! (did that once before). So I chose to get off the back brake and keep on the front brake andride it to the left toward the oncoming traffic. I ended up riding on the double yellow line BETWEEN the traffic, hoping to keep it upright. I clicked the tail light of the SUV with the ball on the end of my brake lever.(NOW THAT'S CLOSE)!!!!!!

When I came to a stop, I had gone past 2 cars that were stopped not just one !!! I looked over my shoulder at the woman in the car, clicked it down to low gear and got out of there at a huge speed. No skidmarks were in my BVD'S, my azz was SO tight I had pulled a couple inches of vinyl up in my crack. My wife doesn't know about this one, and I ain't telling her either.

Old 03-07-2007, 09:11 PM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ride it out

Old 03-07-2007, 09:31 PM
HD7585
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

To everyone............Don't fool yourself by thinking you will always have time to make the choice..........You Wont

Old 03-07-2007, 09:38 PM
Punky Brewster
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: zombie

You know, I've heard the argument a lot, "I laid it down to avoid an accident" and most of the publications I've read including one that I just finished written for LEO motors is that what that means is, "I paniced and laid it down because I lost control". What the author of the book refers to this as is "I had one collision to avoid another collision."

I haven't been in that situation and will never second guess someone who has.

Don't think I can answer this question accurately, has the car already pulled out and am I looking at a rear impact or a side impact. I'm going to want to scrub as much speed as I can and I can do that more effectively on rubber than metal. What is my current speed, can I scrub enough speed off to make a right where the car is pulling out from? Can I split the lane between oncoming traffic and the car that pulled out in front of me? Too many variables to give an accurate description of my response.
Riding in NY,I've been in uncomfortable situations many times.I've never laid my scoot down.If you always look far enough ahead,in most cases there's always more than two options to take.If you look just ahead of you,there's usually only one.
Expect everything & anything.

Old 03-07-2007, 10:11 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

"Ride Like a Pro" and all Motorcycle Safety Schools say ride it out. Do not lock the rear brake and if you do, do not release it until you are completely stopped.If you doyou run the risk of a high side.

Regards,

Bill

Old 03-07-2007, 10:16 PM
Punky Brewster
Banned

ORIGINAL: billnourse

"Ride Like a Pro" and all Motorcycle Safety Schools say ride it out. Do not lock the rear brake and if you do, do not release it until you are completely stopped. If you do you run the risk of a high side.

Regards,

Bill
Bill you are correct.I feel alot of accidents are due to the rider not really knowing how to apply the brakes on their scoot.I have a friend who's in a coma(more than 7 months now),because being a newbie.He locked up the rear brake & then released the brake while in mid skid.The bike shot him like a sling shot onto the road head first.

Old 03-07-2007, 11:10 PM
RKGary
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lay it down or ride it out??? I have heard this statement a lot. If you are going to hit a car by using the brakes, how is laying it down going to avoid an accident? Going under, ya right. Does metal brake better than rubber? Or are your body parts against pavement a better braking material? I use brakes and hope I don’t loose control.

Old 03-07-2007, 11:29 PM
KenM
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think (hope) I could ride it out. Especially if I got one of the kids with me.
My senses go up a notch when they are on the back.

Old 03-07-2007, 11:29 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

Jim,

Had a friend killed that way some years ago. We were on a group ride and the bike in front of the one that she was a passenger on hit gravel and went down. The bike she was on locked the back tire andwent into a side skid. The rider let off of the brakes at about 15 MPH and she was thrown to the pavement like a rag doll breaking her neck.

The SW Rally ride we are going on in June will be the first time I have been on that road since.

Regards,

Bill

Old 03-07-2007, 11:37 PM
Punky Brewster
Banned

ORIGINAL: billnourse

Jim,

Had a friend killed that way some years ago. We were on a group ride and the bike in front of the one that she was a passenger on hit gravel and went down. The bike she was on locked the back tire and went into a side skid. The rider let off of the brakes at about 15 MPH and she was thrown to the pavement like a rag doll breaking her neck.

The SW Rally ride we are going on in June will be the first time I have been on that road since.

Regards,

Bill
Sorry to hear Bill.Even at 15MPH,brakes still need to be applied correctly.
I drive down the same road my friend went down,everyday.I tend to slow down & flashback to a friend who was so full of life.

Quick Reply: Lay it down, or ride it out?