Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lay it down, or ride it out?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 04:50 PM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Lay it down, or ride it out?

that's where ape hangars came from. swing over using the bars.

Old 03-07-2007, 04:51 PM
BHap
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think there is "1" answer here... all depends on the situation, I have done both and never once thought I had an "option"... laying it down is so that you can put the bike in between you and what you are going to hit... the front brake comment always reminds me of this analogy: Two bikes going 60 mph side by side... One bike hits the back brake at exactly the same time as the other bike hits both front and back brakes. When the second bike is stopped, the first bike is still going 45 mph.... technique is everything... any time someone asks if I will let them ride my bike, I tell them to get on a dirt bike and learn to fall down, bounce off of things and use the brakes.... not that any of that is useful on a Harley....

Old 03-07-2007, 04:54 PM
billk
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When a friend and I riding together (1986) both hit the same car that pulled in front of us, I layed the bike down and the bike absorbed most of the impact (about 30 mph). He hit the car riding and braking, flew over the handle bars, hit the trunk and landed on the other side of the car. We had both been riding for years. He had emergency surgery that day on his intestinal tract, a broken collar bone, and a torn shoulder that, eventually, required his early retirement. I had some bruising, and a sore pelvic area for a few weeks.

I think, IMHO, that each circumstance would involve various reactions and there would not be one best way to crash. Flying over one car to be hit by another...well I'm sure that has happened.

Old 03-07-2007, 05:03 PM
LOTHAR
Cruiser

+ it's easy to say but when the time comes instinct takes over.

Old 03-07-2007, 05:13 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm from the school that says "laying it down" is a collision in itself. I will ride it out. That doesn't mean I won't be involved in a collision with another vehicle but it does mean I think I stand a better chance attempting evasive action and braking.

Old 03-07-2007, 05:13 PM
kjriv
Road Warrior

tough question..depends on the circumstance....Unfortunately i've done both...how or why I couldn't tell ya....I just did it. No time to think - allInstinctively. Luckily tho, each time I walked away ok (hell I even rode home last time after the VERY incident you described - and I rode her out...for a bit anyway. then it asphalt for dinner. )

Old 03-07-2007, 05:19 PM
dogtownmax
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i have seen some incredible saves that wouldnt have happened if the person had given up and "layed" the bike down intentionally.

it aint over till its over.

Old 03-07-2007, 05:22 PM
badherb
Road Captain

rubber side down and brakes work better than pavement and chrome no matter the situation. gotta practice once in a while though.

Old 03-07-2007, 05:34 PM
brauny1
Road Master

Ride it out, keep the rubber on the road, you have morecontroland maintainstopping/turning ability, lowering the chance of a collision. Much debate over the years but one instructor drove this home. We practiced (I still do in large parking lots) to grab all four controls in a panic situation; clutch/F brake/R brake/downshift, practice slightly anytime you slow down/stop and it will become second nature.

The largest challenge is the amount offorce applied to brakes to the threshold of traction, DO NOT LOCK UP THE TIRES! This usually means approx. 80% on the frontand 20% on the rear, theoretically the front could receive100% of your forward momentum due to extreme load shift. It's your front brake that stops you, get in the habit of using it first and every time you need brakes. With good control and practice you'll stop in 2/3 rds the distance that laying it down would. (gotta get back to work)

Old 03-07-2007, 06:44 PM
06TEXASCLASSIC
Tourer

To many unkowns to give an answer. (speed, road conditions, whats on the right, ect....) I would try not to lay it down unless I have no other options.

Quick Reply: Lay it down, or ride it out?