General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter Storage Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 08:23 AM
PhilG57
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Winter Storage Suggestions

Thinking ahead to winter here in the Chicago area... I'll probably store my bike in the unheated garage. The garage will be used a daily basis with the car coming and going. Any suggestions for storing a RKC for 3-4 months? THX.

Old 09-12-2013, 08:26 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

Trickle charger is what I'd get first. I got one for my bike last year and never used it. Our winter was not bad.

Old 09-12-2013, 08:50 AM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Battery tender (not trickle charger), keep tires aired up properly, and fuel tank full with stabilizer....that is all. Doing anything else is unnecessary and overkill.

I don't really "store" mine, as I ride year around weather permitting. If I know it's going to be parked for more than 2 weeks due to crappy Illinois weather events, I'll put the tender on it and add some stabilizer to the tank & that's it. I keep it ready to ride at all times.

Old 09-12-2013, 08:52 AM
timfromfc
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same thing here. Battery Tender and fuel stabilizer.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:02 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

All the above.

In addition, I find that when storing my bike in Minnesota, with driving the cage in and out of the garage there tends to be a lot of moisture on the garage floor. Go get a rubber mat to put under your bike to keep the floor moisture from coming up off the floor onto your bike. I found out the hard way the first year I stored a bike without concrete covering and rust formed on some surfaces. Not a problem since I got the mat.

You can buy "motorcycle mats", or I just went to the locale farm/tractor store and got a nice big horse mat. Cheaper then the special bike mats. Don't use plastic it gets real slippery. And plywood can soak up some of the moisture...not good.

Also when you store the bike, I would make sure whatever you use to cover it, that you use a material that is breathable to let any moisture that may get on it to evaporate. I use the canvas HD cover and it works great.

Let's just hope it is only 3-4 months this winter. Last winter sucked.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:20 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,160 Likes on 1,796 Posts

I use an old school "trickle charger" ...about once a month during the winter months I'll put it on for around...oh...2 days..and then off.

One day I may pick up a tender if I feel like getting really lazy, but for many years my old school 30 year old trickle charger has done the job.

Even though I'm in New England...I typically ride "almost" year round...some heavy winters I may go a 6 week or so strech without riding. They put a bunch of detergent and preservatives in the gas now...so I don't bother with any other additives/stabilizers. My boats, chain saws, tractor, lawn mower, bikes...they all fire up just fine in the spring without stabilizers...unlike back in the 70's or 80's. Way back in those days I used products like sea-foam (winterizer for boats). If you didn't...starting them up in the spring sucked...hard work. In the 90's heard (from people in the gas industry) that gas started having it in it already, so I stopped using it, and lo and behold in the spring startups...no issues. But hey it's your wallet if you want to spend cash on those.

I move my bike about once a month..so the tires don't sit on the same spot and develop a flat spot. I just roll it a little bit forward or back.

She's just covered in an old bed sheet.

The only thing I don't like about the 2 car garage....my wife uses the right part. So in snowy weather...she pulls in, closes the garage door...and snow/slush falls off her car and makes huge puddles sometimes...which brings up the humidity big time in the garage. And everything in the garage can get a "fog" on it for a while. So I try to stay on top of that and sweep those piles out when I see them. If it's deep snow and she comes home and pulls in..I'll try to broom that pile of junk out the garage.

Last edited by YeOldeStonecat; 09-12-2013 at 09:22 AM.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:21 AM
SouthpawHD
Extreme HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

Cardboard or even some plywood seems to work just as good as rubber mats, and way less expensive too.

I keep mine covered too, helps to keep moisture off the metal surfaces.

Dang, I can't stand thinking about this, knowing its just about 7 weeks away. Sucks!

Old 09-12-2013, 09:50 AM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Let's just hope we don't have a winter like last year..
Two years ago we basically didn't have winter....rode all winter, even on New Year's Day. Hope we have another one like it.
I hate winter.

Old 09-12-2013, 11:53 AM
01fxdxt
Stellar HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

Wash bike,Run bike with stabiliser long enough to dry everything off,change oil/filter ,fill tank almost to top.pull plugs spray in cylinders with skidoo pickling preservative (good stuff-or oil),turn motor over a few times.Tires to normal pressure.Wax painted parts.Drain carb bowl.Remove battery ,store inside-trickle charge once a month.Bathe metal parts ,engine,hardware,etc.(not brakes of course). with my friend WD40,let dry.Raise up on lift if possible.Cover with cotton sheets or blanket.Say nitey-nite or sleep tite,see ya next year.Been doing this for almost 4 decades-it works.Drink beer,cheers!

Old 09-12-2013, 11:59 AM
chris h.
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do battery tender all year long, every time I park. For the winter I give it a fresh change of oil, (oil will have small amounts of water in it from running engine), and full tank of gas with stabilizer. Keep an eye on tire pressure too.

Quick Reply: Winter Storage Suggestions