General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Retired and now I get to ride!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007 | 06:42 PM
FLGEEZ
Road Master
Default RE: Retired and now I get to ride!

ORIGINAL: SteelCityScooter

ORIGINAL: FLGEEZ

Philt,
Don't know which way you are coming from, but if you get out to the West edge of KY/TN, Try RT 45 out of Paducah to Union City/TN (Abernathy's) to Jackson/TN. It's a parkway that I can't remember the name of right now (that's a new part of your retirement, plenty of time to try to remember crap you forgot). Paducah has a Summer Fest street festival on Friday nights. We stumbled into it in July 06, just by luck. Nice Town, good folks. Don't take RT45 over the Ohio though. We met a couple of ladies that said they would rather swim with the bike strapped to their backs than cross that old POS bridge. That was last year.
Spent alot of time in Paducah KY, companyI worked for had a terminal there, and we would haul Roll Paper out of Wickliffe KY, back to the east.
Did the sumeerfest a few times and yes it is a great time.
The Parkway you are talking about is the Purchase Parkway, 45 south out of Paducah, then you hit it at Mayfield KY, then on south to TN.

If you take 286 out of Paducahwest, you get to Wickliffe, where you can cross the river into Cario IL, another neat town in that area.
Philt
Gonna steal a bit of your thread and reply to Steel City. It's all in the "Where have you been" vane.

Steel, We were gonna get out to Mound City and through Cairo (Kayro), but got chased out by Hail and Rain in MO. That was our Billings substitute trip last year.

Philt,
Do post some of your pics and tell the Tale, and the Tail.

Is this a great country or what!!

Old 03-07-2007 | 06:43 PM
KeithB
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Congrats on retirement Phil, enjoy you lucky dog. Got 18 more years here.

Old 03-07-2007 | 07:02 PM
Philt
|
Road Master

Thanks for all the congrats! I am really looking forward to some great trips. Thanks for the info about Paducah, KY. We will be going through there so we'll have to check it out.
Phil

Old 03-07-2007 | 07:25 PM
rogerm
Intermediate

Congrat's on the retirement - I'm debating on going soon myself - just a little scary after so many years of work but perhaps the miles on my Hertitage will remove the doubt that I should have done it sooner.

Old 03-07-2007 | 07:29 PM
Punky Brewster
Banned

ORIGINAL: Philt

Wel I got the official word the other day. I am officially retired. I have a lot of time on my hand now and I know how I plan on spending that time! My wife still works, but she is a schoolteacher so we have all summer to do some touring. My wife (on her own) and several friend are planning a Kentucky/Tennessee trip in the middle of June. We are planning a slow leisurely pace with no deadlines as far as mileage or destination. If we see something we like we will stop and check it out. Our plans are to do the backroads and the scenic routes eventually getting to the dragon and then slowly work our way back home. Now that I am retired, I will probably spend less time on this forum as I will be out riding. I'll miss the forum. Even though I don't post a lot, I read it all the time. But maybe I'll see some of you out there on the road. I hope you all where your HDForum patches. I have mine on so look for it! Hey Mikeeeeeeee maybe we finally get to take that ride!
Phil
Ride like the wind bro,& enjoy

Old 03-07-2007 | 07:46 PM
ROADTRAIN
Road Captain

Congrat's on your retirement Phil, just make sure you go and live your dreams. I an 54 and retired last September and have been away on 3 X 1month bike rides. The idea of not having to get home to start work makes the trip so much better.Enjoy, you have earnt it.

Old 03-07-2007 | 08:09 PM
defenderp
Cruiser

Congrats! Enjoy the time!

Old 03-07-2007 | 08:25 PM
ULTRA Gramps
Outstanding HDF Member

CONGRATS PHIL! I have 2yrs. 5 months.

Old 03-07-2007 | 08:42 PM
kmrutledge
Cruiser

Enjoy life -- you earned it

Old 03-07-2007 | 08:44 PM
BREAD
Road Warrior

Congratulations...

I myself have another 17 years...

Quick Reply: Retired and now I get to ride!