General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handlebar Laws

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 11:16 AM
hambone
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Handlebar Laws

ORIGINAL: Bryanp

i think only the helmet laws applies in that case. Anything on the bike is governed by the state its licensed in.
Negative on that one Ghost Rider! It's the ole' "Ignorance of the law is know excuse" thing. Just like you are required to know the laws of any state you travel through for CCW, it applies to all laws in the state. Why do you think those with big apes at some of the larger rallies loosen there bars to lower them while in some states?

Rick

Old 03-08-2007, 11:26 AM
Ratbasturd
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Texas don't really enforce handlebar laws, ask any Texas LEO and they will tell you that only DPS enforces it and it is mostly an add on charge caused by attitude.

Now of course I live on a liberial island ( Travis County) in a great see of redneck and have really only talked to officers in my area but that is what I was told

Old 03-08-2007, 10:16 PM
fixerdj
Tourer

I have put on 16" bars, the pic below is an old one. I have no idea how far the grips are from the seat, but i'm pretty sure i'm not legal anywhere. Never been stopped for it, but if I was,I would pay the piper and move on till the next ticket. Gotta live by your choicesI guess.

Old 03-08-2007, 10:32 PM
Beavis
Cruiser

here is the Kansas Law

Handlebar Height
No person shall operate any motorcycle with handlebars so positioned that the hands of the operator, when upon the grips, are at or above shoulder height when such person is sitting astride the seat with the vehicle in an upright position
Kansas handlebar height limits were removed from the law book effective July 1, 2006. So now, if you can reach em' you can ride it.

Handlebar height laws are like helmet laws; it doesn't matter what your state says, it matters what the state that you are in say.

Ride Safe.

Old 03-08-2007, 11:53 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

In Florida it is anything above the shoulders while riding. It is one of the most frequenttickets given during Bike Week.

Old 03-09-2007, 12:03 AM
Manish_Hawg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Put the bars on the bike and forgetaboutit!

I'm sure if get pullled over for your bars you can get a doctor's excuse that say low bars hurt your back.

Old 03-09-2007, 12:10 AM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jameson

Im putting 16" Apes on my Fatboy, and just realized Ill most likely be illegal in my state. In Texas the law is 15" above the seat, so is Lousiana. Im stationed in LA but registered in TX. I was looking at Wisconsin laws and theres is a whopping 30" above the seat!! I guess being the home or Harley you gotta be leniant.

Found this site. Motorcycle Laws by State.

Old 03-09-2007, 12:59 AM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

here is the Kansas Law

Handlebar Height
No person shall operate any motorcycle with handlebars so positioned that the hands of the operator, when upon the grips, are at or above shoulder height when such person is sitting astride the seat with the vehicle in an upright position
That may be subject to debate. The height restriction was removed from the STO Book (Standard Traffic Ordinance) in 06.