General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Packing Heat 2

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 10:25 PM
Hammer02
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Packing Heat 2

ORIGINAL: markdt

Hi Mark here from Toronto. Up North here we have very strict hand gun laws. leo's and private security and a very few individuals are allowed to carry . You can buy an illegal handgun on the streets of Toronto for about $500.00 . Of course it will probably have been stolen from someone in the states and then smuggled across the border. These weapons have ususally been used in some sort of crime and get dumped here for a quick sale and profit. The only issue I have is that the lax gun laws in the united states have made Canadian gangs up here better armed than the police. I travel south every winter for a 2 month vacation and have only felt threatened once, while we were in San antonio tx in 1998. If someone feels paranoid enough to want to carry , so be it . I say enjoy life, think on the positive side and stop worrying.After reading all the posts from people who carry . I have a question ? Are you always thinkingyou are going to be attackedin some way.If you are, you are wasting a great deal of time and energy . Let it ride man, relax, take a deep breath and enjoy life while you can. Leave law enforcement to the police while outside your home. Keep all the guns you want in your own house but please lock them up so that they don't end up here killing someone...
Do you have car insurance?

Why?

Are you paranoid always thinking you are going to get in an accident? Why not kick back and enjoy life?

Old 03-07-2007, 10:30 PM
TxHarleyGuy2007
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: bosnmate

ORIGINAL: Hammer02

ORIGINAL: bosnmate

By the way, I have broken collar bones with a regular old reading magazine.
Really....broken a collar bone with a magazine? Please share the details as this seems too ridiculous to be true.
Ok, take a stiff edge magazine like a cosmo, but not to thick of a magazine. It HAS to be a hard edge magazine not one that is stapled and folded and it has to be glossy paged not light recycled paper. Roll the magazine tightly with the binding on the inside and you now have a limited use but very effective club that is durable, weighty and extremely hard. Also, the collar bone and nose are pretty soft and are the easiest to break with striking instruments.

I busted the guys lip, bloodied his nose, blackened his right eyeand with a little luck I was able to break the collar bone. He just dropped is right arm and tilted his head to the left, leaving that poor thin little bone sticking right out there unprotected. I put all 245 lbs of my weight behind the magazine and brought it down on the bone. When the police arrived they were dumb struck when I handedthem a torn, blood stained magazine. This happened at the airport and it started out as a man arguing with his wife. He pushed her and then with a closed fist punched her right in the mouth and just about knocked her out. That is all it took for me to whip him with a magazine.
Way to go, bosnmate! Good job in stepping in where necessary. Gotta' love the irony though, "Wife beater gets thrashed by good samaritan armed with a Cosmo women's mag!"

Old 03-07-2007, 10:31 PM
badherb
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trust me...your mind is made up....you just don't know it. It's very rare for anyone to change their natural first instinct on thissubject. Your opinion is ingrained and I'd be shocked if it changes. If you don't want to carry...more power to you....but don't mess with my right to do so.
I guess you know me better than I do huh? I just started hunting two years ago. I think guns are a great hobby tagets and all that. Never even tried to threaten anyones right to bear arms and I vote against attempts to do so. Is my mind made up?

The center point I'm attempting to make is that a clear purpose for what you do and don't do is a good thing to have. Have you thought out your Right or have you just did what you want. It makes sense to clearly label your purpose for carrying a gun. And it makes sense to think it though.
That process makes your decision sound for you. Expalining it makes it clear to everyone.

To give reason to my arguement: I don't believe in God. Saying that doesn'tmeananything with out sound thoughtand research. Do you believe because mom and dad told you to or did you make that decision on your own accord? Thought it out and read many a book on the subject? Then came to the conclusion on your own.

Sorry about the story but to me any belief system you have needs to go through this process. That's me though, and not for eveyone. There is where I was hoping this conversasion could go. For everyone who carries their weapon of choice to actually think about what they are doing and why. If you can say that without getting hot under the collar then my point was claer to you.But instead people say because, or your mind is made up it's not worth the time to talk to you. Forget that. Everything you think is your right needs to be discussed. If you fail to talk articulatly about it your Right won't be yours anymore.

Old 03-07-2007, 10:32 PM
wldbill
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well Bosn, it sounds to me that you are doing something that doesn't leave you much choice when it comes to being armed. When it comes to 'the carry', it's each person's call. Being a gun owner and marksman for 40 plus years and licensed to carry doesn't make feel comfortable to carry all the time. So far, I'll say that I've been fortunate to travel, camp, dine out with family, etc. and never have had the need for a weapon. I'm sure that you and all on this forum will wish me continued good fortune.
Bill

Old 03-07-2007, 10:41 PM
camarotuner
Cruiser

I'm gonna try and answer this honestly. As mentioned before on this site, I don't believe in killing, I believe in overkilling. Why am I armed in one form or the other 24/7? Because 99.9% of all human life is irrelevant to me and if one of those people attempt to do me or mine harm, I will reply in kind with whatever I have available. Sometimes this is a pistol, bladed weapon, my martial arts skills, and god forbide the poor bastard trys to get me in my house. This place is better armed than a police station and we know what to do with them. This is a personal convinction of mine. I simply have no faith in humanity and view most people as potentially dangerous. It's my house, my person, my property, my family, and *I* will protect them over whatever protection the government feels free to offer.

Skipping that, I firmly believe that it is the responsibility of a citizenship to be armed and prepared to defend this country from itself. I do not believe that there won't be a day when all hell brakes loose. Maybe WW3 or a nuclear attack, maybe a natural disaster, but if/when that happens it'll be every man for himself. The man with the biggest gun tends to do better in that situation. If you disagree with that logic, please remember what happened to Hiroshima and Nagasaki. We had a better bomb, we won.

As for legal questions, let's try it this way. There you stand with your law and here I stand with my bayonet, we'll see which one of us continues standing.

Old 03-07-2007, 10:47 PM
markdt
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have car insurance to finacialy protect myself and family , just like life insurance accident insurance . I also keep all of my vehicles and myself in good shape so I don't kill someone by accident. I have no problem going through life thinking that nothing bad is going to happen . I think this is a healthier attitude than the oposite. Ten years ago at 35 I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes , this caused me to re-think my way of lfe., and make some drastic changes.I don't sweat the small stuff anymore and have a much healthier appreciation of life . For everone who carries, does it make you feel more secure , powerfull, self assured? Or are you just so used to it that it has become second nature. Just like car insurance. You see, in Canada we are not a Gun culture,very few of us were exposed to any type of firearms as children. We just don't think about it until we hear that someone was killed with one. I don't understandbut I do respect anyones rights under thier consitution to bear arms.

Old 03-07-2007, 10:49 PM
Hammer02
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It went right over your head.

Old 03-07-2007, 10:50 PM
bosnmate
Banned

ORIGINAL: Hammer02

I applaud you for having the ***** to step in and get involved.

Most of those who rail on against guns.....would have stood and watched or worse yet walked by and pretended not to see it.

You are right they would. I don't think twice of doing the right thing and stepping in is the right thing to do in that case. If I am wrong, then I will be wrong with confidence or hesitation.

Old 03-07-2007, 10:51 PM
rdam
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

ORIGINAL: MCSarge

Because I have to remember hundreds of faces and the bad guys only have to remember 1.
Yup...If I had a dollar for everytime I ran into someone I arrested......I could buy a lot of chrome.

Old 03-07-2007, 10:58 PM
bosnmate
Banned

ORIGINAL: markdt

I have car insurance to finacialy protect myself and family , just like life insurance accident insurance . I also keep all of my vehicles and myself in good shape so I don't kill someone by accident. I have no problem going through life thinking that nothing bad is going to happen . I think this is a healthier attitude than the oposite. Ten years ago at 35 I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes , this caused me to re-think my way of lfe., and make some drastic changes.I don't sweat the small stuff anymore and have a much healthier appreciation of life . For everone who carries, does it make you feel more secure , powerfull, self assured? Or are you just so used to it that it has become second nature. Just like car insurance. You see, in Canada we are not a Gun culture,very few of us were exposed to any type of firearms as children. We just don't think about it until we hear that someone was killed with one. I don't understandbut I do respect anyones rights under thier consitution to bear arms.
For me it is like a watch, it is just always there. Doesn't make me feel more secure, powerfull or self assured at all. I am one of the most laid back people you will ever meet. I don't get mad at small stuff and most large things don't bother me. It is almost impossible to insult me. I will take a lot of crap and never retaliate at all. If in a bar and you run into me I will usually say "I'm sorry" even though you ran into me, even if you spill my beer.

But, threaten my life, the life of a family member and you will be dead. I will not hesitate, I will not blink an eye or miss a step, I will just strike out and kill the attacker. I wouldn't even think twice about it afterward either and I am no longer a police officer so I don't have to give you a warning or an opportunity to surrender either.

Quick Reply: Packing Heat 2