General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Packing Heat 2

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 06:52 PM
TxHarleyGuy2007
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Packing Heat 2

ORIGINAL: went_postal

And honestly... (this is NOT a bash against LEOs) I know SEVERAL officers that should NOT be carrying... Does someone having a badge make you feel better about them having a gun? It shouldn't. Yes... they have more training... but that does not necissarily mean they have more sense. I actually know one LEO that refuses to carry a loaded weapon!!!! I also know some cops that just don't like guns... IMHO you need to LIKE guns to be GOOD with guns. If you "tolerate" guns... you are not going to be that good at it.
It is not altogether uncommon or unheard of for the licensed, range going, law abiding citizen to be far more proficient in the use of firearms than a LEO. Reason being, many LEOs only fire their weapons when it comes to qualification time. And as has been stated, LEOs have been known to be extremely anti-gun and would rather have little to do with firearms; regarding their sidearms as arequired tool of the job. Not to be misinterpreted, this does not apply to LEO on the whole. I'm sure any LEO on the forums knows of a few officers who fit into this mold; only firing their gun when test time rolls around, etc.

Old 03-07-2007, 07:25 PM
Keith_H
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Well, the only question I have is for all of you who do carry. Do you all know all the places that it is illegal to be armed in your state? Do you break the law and enter those places anyway? And finally, does your authorization to carry cross state lines? If not, do you break the law?"

In reply to wldbill, Yes I know the laws. By the way, you should read the Missouri laws covering Cancelled Carry. In the majority of the places you're not allowed to carry it's not a criminal offense. Yes my license is authorized in 31 other states but even going through states that do not honor it I break the law and carry, even under the front seat of the car, as I have for 30+ years. And yes I break the law in other ways as well like exceeding the speed limit, I took the dog to a state beach where no pets were allowed once, I’ve even been known to make illegal u-turns. You would be hard pressed to find anyone out there that has not broken the law in one fashion or another.

Old 03-07-2007, 07:33 PM
TxHarleyGuy2007
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: wldbill

Well, the only question I have is for all of you who do carry.
1. Do you all know all the places that it is illegal to be armed in your state?
2. Do you break the law and enter those places anyway?
3. And finally, does your authorization to carry cross state lines?
4. If not, do you break the law?
1. Yes

2. No

3. Texas is one State whereby reciprocity is acknowledged by many. Not all; but many.

4. I suggest you do your research. It would not be breaking the law by venturing into another state whereby reciprocity was not recognized. At that point, the individual would fall under the confines of the 'Traveling statues in that particular state'. Thereby, enabling him to carry a firearm not necessarily on his person but right next to him in his vehicle and hotel room. Would I carry a firearm on me in a state where my Texas license were not recognized? No I would not. For that short period of time, I'd more than likely have a sweet Benchmade at the ready; with blade of legal length of course.

Old 03-07-2007, 07:37 PM
bosnmate
Banned

ORIGINAL: Keith_H

"Well, the only question I have is for all of you who do carry. Do you all know all the places that it is illegal to be armed in your state? Do you break the law and enter those places anyway? And finally, does your authorization to carry cross state lines? If not, do you break the law?"

In reply to wldbill, Yes I know the laws. By the way, you should read the Missouri laws covering Cancelled Carry. In the majority of the places you're not allowed to carry it's not a criminal offense. Yes my license is authorized in 31 other states but even going through states that do not honor it I break the law and carry, even under the front seat of the car, as I have for 30+ years. And yes I break the law in other ways as well like exceeding the speed limit, I took the dog to a state beach where no pets were allowed once, I’ve even been known to make illegal u-turns. You would be hard pressed to find anyone out there that has not broken the law in one fashion or another.
As I have said before, I am armed 24/7. I carry every where I go, legal or not. If there aren't metal detectors I will be armed with a firearm, if there are, I will be armed with something else. I am able to carry in 33 different states.

Old 03-07-2007, 07:39 PM
Hammer02
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: badherb

I did not want to hyjack a thread so I thought I'd make my own thread in response to the Packing Heat thread. Many of the answers actually scare the hell outta me so here is my response and questions.

Seriously! If your reply to me is cause I can. becasue its my right, becasue the law says I can, or if your a LEO don't bother replying. I'm looking for well thought out answers that have justifiable means and ends. Get real! Life and death are serious issues, carrying a gun means two things in a voilent situation, you use the gun or it gets used against you.

Not making enemies just looking for answers.
Cause I want to. How's that for an answer.

Old 03-07-2007, 07:48 PM
BuckeyeHD
Tourer

I don't carry a gun (did for 22 yrs in the mil though). My questions would be: If you carry a weapon and imbibe alcohol, isn't that a felony in most states? If you go to an establishment that does not allow firearms and leave it in your vehicle (whatever that veh may be) that too is a felony in some states (NY, I think for one) isn't it? If your gun is stolen from your vehicle and used in a crime, I think you might be in trouble in some jurisdictions. Finally, what about establishments where it is illegal (not just discouraged) to carry a firearm (school building, hospital, liquor store, bank etc.)?

I sure wouldn't want to get blown away by some over zealous security guard when I was cashing a cheque.

Just a thought.

Old 03-07-2007, 08:27 PM
badherb
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

txharleyguy
Please read my original post again.
we do not agree to disagree. we probably come closer to agreeing on teh subject but not quite.

I have stated and remain still on the supject that I don't see why it is nessessary to carry a weapon all the time. that doesn't mean I beleive it is morally or ethically wrong by any means.
to the rest who posted:
I think that with power comes greater responsibility. GUNS are power. I think many (OPINION HERE) don't take the responsibility to heart. they carry because (OPINION HERE) they have some sort of underlying issue. mental or not. Responsibile gun owners I love. TED NUGENT is by far the most sain person I have read about that is a gun toting freak.Many of you may be too.
But I can seesome peopleonly haveone thought in their head. "ME!"

teachu2 thanks
chopperz thanks
like I said not making enemies just have questions. I like good conversation hot topic or not. And I'm not here to change your mind or talk you out of carrying a weapon. I'm interested in the issues: why you carry and for what purpose you plan to use it? everthing else is just hot air.

Old 03-07-2007, 08:29 PM
badherb
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cause I want to. How's that for an answer.
that is exactly what I said was not a post I cared to read, as it explains nothing and is irrelivant with out supporting conversion. and it only hot air.

Old 03-07-2007, 08:31 PM
went_postal
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: BuckeyeHD

I don't carry a gun (did for 22 yrs in the mil though). My questions would be: If you carry a weapon and imbibe alcohol, isn't that a felony in most states? If you go to an establishment that does not allow firearms and leave it in your vehicle (whatever that veh may be) that too is a felony in some states (NY, I think for one) isn't it? If your gun is stolen from your vehicle and used in a crime, I think you might be in trouble in some jurisdictions. Finally, what about establishments where it is illegal (not just discouraged) to carry a firearm (school building, hospital, liquor store, bank etc.)?

I sure wouldn't want to get blown away by some over zealous security guard when I was cashing a cheque.

Just a thought.
That one is easy... I don't drink all that often. And when I do... I don't carry... I also don't drive or ride.

Old 03-07-2007, 08:33 PM
Domestic Violence
Stellar HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 30 Posts

i carry one of my few guns because im allowed to- nation wide.

my little arsenal consists of:
Glock 17 (issued) 9mm
Glock 27 .40
Glock 30 .45
S&W .380
NAA .22 Magnum
Kel-Tec P32

id rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Quick Reply: Packing Heat 2