General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Packing Heat 2

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 05:42 PM
TxHarleyGuy2007
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Packing Heat 2

ORIGINAL: badherb

As for TXharleyguy, lowrider, az rider, you obviously have only preceived my opinion and not looked at my post. I have guns shoot guns and think guns are our right to have and hold. Second ammendment is a good thing and all that.

Thank you to those that read the post and simply answered the question, name calling shows your aggrogance and ignorance. I'm not a pot sturrer either. Just interested in why people see the need to carry a weapon andeven more interested in the need for it to be concealed.
I read your post in its entirety. And took from it not a perception but an obvious position of someone believing that licensed, law abidingcitizens shouldn't bear arms (concealed) when amongst the citizenry. On this topic, I think it's best to say that we'll agree to disagree on the matter. Respectfully.

Old 03-07-2007, 05:49 PM
woody
Intermediate

badherb,
Guess the best way to try to answer your question, intelligently, is to say that "all human life is not the same". When someone decides that they are going to do harm to someone else, they have forfeited the privelege to membership in civilized society. To stop harm to a member of that society, taking the life of the perpetrator may be neccessary. There is evil in the world and it must be confronted, it is as simple as that.
As to the difference between carry concealed or in plain sight? I think that everyone in the US has the right to do so unless specific law is in place in a specific juristiction. They would be hassled by every LEO that sees them because the LEO is trying to find out whether they have a kook on their hands. Concealed carry creates the situation where other people do not see the weapon and therefore are not nervous. Requirements in place before issue of a CCW, like fingerprints, back ground check, mandated training in the use and psychology of using a gun are a damn fine idea.
My situation is; not a LEO, not a CCW permit holder, gun owner but not a member of the NRA, atheist, white male, married, employed professional.................basic guy. That's as intelligent an argument as I can make.

Old 03-07-2007, 05:58 PM
2011 Road Glide Ultra
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, maybe you're not trolling....
Carrying a gun improves the security of law-abiding citizens. Look at violent crime in Florida since they instituted a right-to-carry law. Criminals don't follow gun laws, but they don't want to mess with armed citizens, either. On the other hand, if a person doesn't understand and accept the responsibility that carrying involves, they shouldn't carry.
I fully understand the concept of deadly force and when it is legally justified. I avoid situations that may lead to violence whenever possible. I stay out of bars for the most part. I won't stand back while a woman gets raped, a child gets abducted, or a drunk flees the scene of an accident. The first two may require use of force, the third won't if the drunk is alone.
Why carry? Because you don't get a sign ahead of time that says "Some sociopath will be by today and you'll need a gun". If everything is good (like 9999 days out of 10000), nobody will even know I have it. On that day that suddenly, unexpectedly goes very, very bad - I hope I'm carrying.

Old 03-07-2007, 06:00 PM
2011 Road Glide Ultra
Road Warrior

All that is necessary for Evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

Old 03-07-2007, 06:05 PM
wldbill
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, the only question I have is for all of you who do carry. Do you all know all the places that it is illegal to be armed in your state? Do you break the law and enter those places anyway? And finally, does your authorization to carry cross state lines? If not, do you break the law?

Old 03-07-2007, 06:06 PM
hambone
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Draggin S

Well,

An armed society is a polite society..................
That's exactly what I was going to post.

Rick

Old 03-07-2007, 06:27 PM
2011 Road Glide Ultra
Road Warrior

Badherb - not trying to hyjack your thread, but NICE RIDE! My first HD after lots of metrics was a FXDWGI. Rode it 4300 miles on my 1st long trip!

Old 03-07-2007, 06:27 PM
06TEXASCLASSIC
Tourer

[sm=chairshot.gif][sm=shootshoot.gif][sm=thanx.gif] Get it????

Old 03-07-2007, 06:42 PM
went_postal
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: badherb

thank you went postal.

yes I agree a weapon is a tool. and a tool that can be of great comfort to a great many people. I think the issue I have is with the intent and intellegance of the people who hold the weapon. Are they profecient with the weapon etc. I know many that are not either intellent nor do they know how to handle a weapon. These people are scary even if they are law abiding. They are the ones that make this issue HOT. They are the ones that hurt people. I know the saying goes guns don't kill, people do, or something like that.
Which people carrying guns are we talking about? In my state you have to take a proficiency test before you can get your CCW... it is not the most extensive test... but they beat the law into your head about different scenarioes and whatnot... and then you have to show that you can handle your weapon in timed tests... Which I have to admit were intimidating even though I have been shooting for a lot of years.

And honestly... (this is NOT a bash against LEOs) I know SEVERAL officers that should NOT be carrying... Does someone having a badge make you feel better about them having a gun? It shouldn't. Yes... they have more training... but that does not necissarily mean they have more sense. I actually know one LEO that refuses to carry a loaded weapon!!!! I also know some cops that just don't like guns... IMHO you need to LIKE guns to be GOOD with guns. If you "tolerate" guns... you are not going to be that good at it.

Any chucklehead can go out and buy a table saw, band saw, and drill press... Buy some plans and make something. it is the person that likes/loves the wood and the tools that makes something beautiful.

Same thing with a car or a bike. Any chucklehead can buy a Harley and all the leather... A rider it does not make them. I like to work on my cars... I actually like to clean my bike... I LOVE getting into that kinda stuff and as a result I have more of a passion for the bikes and cars and I think this helps make me a better rider/driver.

Guns are the same. I LOVE guns... practice all the time. My passion is for long range but I dig pistols too... And I have spent many an hour behind the sights. Same with my bow. MOST of the people that have responded about carrying are PASSIONATE about shooting as a "sport." Those are the people I want to have guns. Not the ones that have never hunted or have never even practiced with their stuff.

Old 03-07-2007, 06:47 PM
chopperz71
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts

badherb,

I must commend you. Although some of the others immediately started in on you with the name calling, ranting, and just general rudeness, you kept your cool. All of your answers were polite and to the point, even when others weren't. I for one have lot's of guns. I don't pack on a regular basis. But, I don't mind if someone else wants to. That being said, you my friend are a man of thick skin, and I am proud you are a member of the forum. I would prefer that those that do cary weapons be more level headed than what I have seen here. Now, the rest of you can start your lashing. I'll enjoy the read.

Quick Reply: Packing Heat 2