General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Packing Heat 2

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 04:41 PM
kgjl
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Packing Heat 2

Have you ever gone for a multi day ride, a ride that you ride to the point of exhaustion. Not wanting to stop long enough to justify a motel, so you sleep a few hours on a picnic table at a rest area. And then get up and ride some more. I find I sleep a little better with something in my pocket.

Old 03-07-2007, 04:44 PM
badherb
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Then what is up with the gay bashing? Keep it civil man.
funny. stating a fact the many people turn to manly love in the prison, not bashing.

Old 03-07-2007, 04:44 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,914 Likes on 815 Posts

The bottom line is people should be allowed to take whatever measures they feel necessary to protect themselves. No need to justify it to anyone else.

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 03-07-2007, 04:55 PM
went_postal
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you own any fire extinguishers?

Do you own fire detectors?

What about the airbags in your car?

You probably have all of these things... but never use them... And I am sure you hope they never have to be used to protect your life. But you have them.

How many times do we see people b*tching that riders don't stop when other riders are on the side of the road? Why don't you? Because you are too busy? Or because they may not be a friendly person?

What if you car were to break down and set on fire with you inside of it? Would you want me to stop by the side of the road and use my fire extinguisher to try and put out the flames? Or should I continue to drive on and call the local FD that will take a couple of minutes to get to you? I am going to guess you want me to stop AND call the FD. I only ask this one because of your response to Bosnamte

Am I cooler than someone because I carry a firearm? No.

Am I safer? Maybe.

I took the steps to legally carry a firearm in my state (and others). Do I carry ALL the time? No. Do I carry when I go out late at night or somewhere with a LOT of people? Yep.

A firearm is a tool... Nothing more. Nothing less. Along with my pocket knife and my leatherman... it goes with me. As a tool... A tool of last resort. If I can get away without having to use it so much the better.

The gun is not the killer. The person behind the gun is. The problem you should have is with the decisions that people make behind the guns when they are deployed or the decision on WHY it was deployed.... not the fact that one is safely in a holster. Carrying is just that... carrying... not shooting. not drawing.

Have I ever drawn my weapon to defend myself? Yes. I was backed into a corner that I could not get out of.

Did I shoot that person? No. I did not just slap leather and start yanking on the trigger like some stupid yahoo. And I would think MOST people that have responded pro-CCW would probably also not just fire their weapons.

You wait for the overworked and underpaid PD to show up and stop the guy from doing whatever he wants to do to you... Me? I am either going to run away or if I can't... I am going to protect myself until the boys in blue can get to me. I am not going to blame a LEO that his department is short staffed and whatnot... I don't want to have a civil suit AFTER my wife or child have been murdered or harmed.

And am I going to "wing" the guy? Hell no. If my gun comes out that person is going to die if I can make that happen. Is that something that I WANT to have happen? NO! But I will make the choice to save myself and my family before I let him go home. And that is something I have to live with.

So unless you intend to do someone with a CCW or a concealed weapon harm... it really shouldn't bother you. Just my $0.02

Old 03-07-2007, 05:03 PM
kjriv
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: badherb

Just interested in why people see the need to carry a weapon andeven more interested in the need for it to be concealed.
First off I don't carry, as I've never seen the need.But, if someone else does, I'll back em to hell and back for their right to do so. It isn'tbeing "cool" either...I know alot of guys (and one gal), some LEO, some not, who carry and trust me, THAT doesn't come into the equation. In actuality,your generalization and assessmentin and of itself is simply a reflection of the people YOU call your friends/peers, not indicative of responsible gun owners.

BUT, to answer your question....it has to do with the same reason why a deck of cards is one sided - cause if the guy across from you knows your hand, you can't play effectively.

Honestly, no offense, but for someone who actually does shoot guns himself, thats a pretty damn silly question.

Old 03-07-2007, 05:08 PM
badherb
Road Captain

thank you went postal.

yes I agree a weapon is a tool. and a tool that can be of great comfort to a great many people. I think the issue I have is with the intent and intellegance of the people who hold the weapon. Are they profecient with the weapon etc. I know many that are not either intellent nor do they know how to handle a weapon.These people are scary even if they are law abiding. They are the ones that make this issue HOT. They are the ones that hurt people. I know the saying goes guns don't kill, people do, or something like that.

Old 03-07-2007, 05:11 PM
badherb
Road Captain

Honestly, no offense, but for someone who actually does shoot guns himself, thats a pretty damn silly question.
none taken and an intelligent answer thank you. But IMO no question is silly, becauseno onehas the answer key in life.

Old 03-07-2007, 05:19 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

bosnmate I will answer your question because you asked one and had something intellengent to say.
No. I would rather you not deploy you weapon. but if you wanted to jump the the person that was attempting to harm my family I would like that. See I would already have been on top of them making sure they could do no harm. I don't flinch. IF my famliy is in harms way I'll stand and fight without thinking. If I owned a pistol and carried one I'd have murder 1 on my sheet. Not sure killing someone because I think it was the right thing would sit well with a jury of my peers. I'll protect what is mine. But not go to jail do so.
[/quote]

You're only showing your a fool. You would jump anyone who threatened your family to make sure they could do no harm and would want bosnmatejumping into assist but not use his gun? What does your family do when the perp shoots you and bosnmate??

Old 03-07-2007, 05:30 PM
badherb
Road Captain

You're only showing your a fool. You would jump anyone who threatened your family to make sure they could do no harm and would want bosnmatejumping into assist but not use his gun? What does your family do when the perp shoots you and bosnmate??
Your question is loaded but I'll answer.
Most people in a situations that areheated as described will think rather than act. That is what the PERP is hoping for. They really don't want to have anyone upset their apple cart. The more people think the less they will do and hope for the end of the problem. When threatened I act. They are caught off guard always.

you can invent many senerios. most of them people will get hurt and perps will run away no matter if you have a gun or not.If having a gun makes you feel better that is the right you have.

Old 03-07-2007, 05:36 PM
Draggin S
Road Master

Well,

An armed society is a polite society..................

Quick Reply: Packing Heat 2