General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Plant tour ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 07:03 PM
brianseay
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harley Plant tour ?

A friend of ours (JOHNTN) was talking about getting a ride together and go up to Pa. and take a tour of the HD plant. I was just wondering how good is the plant tour and what would you see. Has anyone on here ever been on the tour ? And on a scale of 1-10 10 being best, how would you rate it. The ride up would be great. alot of good riding hwys up that way. The Blue Ridge would be fun to ride. Anyways any feedback would be great.

Old 08-25-2005, 07:37 PM
quack47
4th Gear
Default RE: Harley Plant tour ?

the wife and I took the tour last ye
ar I would rate it as a 10 my wife says it was an 8 it took about an hour and you see it all

Old 08-25-2005, 07:41 PM
Blue SOG
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take the Blue Ridge. You'll have a BLAST in NC... it straighten out a bit in VA but is still a wonderful motorcycle road. As for the tour, I'd love to have a HDF get-together in York and do the tour.

Old 08-25-2005, 09:38 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,270 Likes on 1,976 Posts

I think that it would be interesting to take a tour of a HD plant, I hear that they are a lot of fun for those that like Harleys. If I wasn't so far away, I would go.

Old 08-25-2005, 10:43 PM
Old Skool
Intermediate

I took my 12-year old nephew on the tour last Friday. We were in the 12:10pm group. WORD OF ADVICE: Don't bother taking the tour around lunch time...most of the workers were on break. It was really fascinating to see most of the manufacturing processes: tank forming from raw steel sheets, tank/fender painting, assembly of the touring bikes, etc. Although the York, PA factory also builds the Softail and CVO models, the tour is in the Touring model plant. The tour takes about an hour, but I feel like we sprinted through the factory. I wish we had more time to observe the assembly process, but given the number of folks going through the tour, that wouldn't have been possible.

Be sure to read the rules/regulations from the HD site regarding the tour. They strictly adhere to them...like no open toe shoes and no cameras.

If you get a chance, stop by Battlefield HD in Gettysburg (intersection of Route 15 and Route 30). It's one of the nicest dealers I've visited in the VA/MD/PA/WVa area.

Enjoy!
Leo

Old 08-26-2005, 05:36 PM
warpusher
Advanced

I've taken a tour of the Milwaukee factory. I wasn't into Harley at the time but it was cool. I didn't like the No camera thing.

***just stating facts***

I did find it interesting that the majority of parts that they were putting on Sporties came from bins with bar and shields that said "made in Japan"

(carbs, intakes, etc etc)

Overall it was a good tour. Rushed though and about an hour. HD workers didn't seem to like my choice in apparel, but hey, even Steve Mcqueen would have wore a Triumph shirt into the factory!

Old 08-26-2005, 06:20 PM
iceburgh
Road Warrior

We're planning on going to the York Open House for it. Check it here York Open House

Old 08-27-2005, 11:04 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Highly recommend the York tour, even though it does not include the Soft Tail factory. Tours during open house last September did include the Softy factory, don't know about this year though. Like everyone said, takes about an hour, it is hot in the summer time, can be noisy. No cameras, no knives, cellphones allowed either.

Old 08-28-2005, 02:52 AM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

sounds like a great time would like to go next year

Old 08-29-2005, 12:31 PM
wildwill
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: iceburgh

We're planning on going to the York Open House for it. Check it here York Open House
[sm=exactly.gif] We go to York just about every year for the festivities. It's a lot of fun. There's a lot going on all over town.

Quick Reply: Harley Plant tour ?