General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrapping pipes?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 01:48 PM
rawhead
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wrapping pipes?

I once heard wrapping your pipes affects performance. Is there any truth to this or is it complete bull****? I was considering wrapping my black thunderheaders. Anything else to consider? Thanks in advance

Old 03-07-2007, 02:04 PM
LowriderFXRS
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Wrapping pipes?

I prefer to let the air carry as much heat away from my bike as it can. Plus, I think wrapped pipes look like hell. Like some dragstrip wannabe.

Old 03-07-2007, 06:39 PM
kpreese
Road Captain

Every little bit matters when you are talking about competition. The wrap keeps the heat in and keeps the exhaust gasses expanded so the velocities are high. As far as I understand, that's the benefit. But those exhaust systems scavenge a lot more than a typical street exhaust. Without the scavenging, not sure the extra exhaust speed would help.

I think the performance increase on a street bike is negligible. I've heard of heat related weld failures so take that into consideration as well.

Kevin

Old 03-07-2007, 10:20 PM
geargrinder
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Header wrapping is mainly done to prevent other things from getting hot from heat radiation, such as under hood temps in race cars. As far as performance, I've never seen any actual before and after results so it is probably unmeasureable.

Old 03-07-2007, 10:33 PM
rawhead
Advanced

I don't care in the racing sense. I could care less as far as numbers go. I just mean as far as something I would notice in the feel of the bike or it being something that would not be good for the engine. Thanks again for the help.

Old 03-08-2007, 09:11 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Actually it does help performance,but you will not feel it in the seat of your pants.In my case,because of close proximity of pipes to body parts,the first foot or so of pipe will be wrapped.As far as drag racing,pull up beside me and we will see what happens.Tsk Tsk

Old 03-08-2007, 05:02 PM
rawhead
Advanced

For those of you who have, any special technique to share. It'll be my first time doing it.

Old 03-08-2007, 05:38 PM
Jumpman
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 28 Posts

ORIGINAL: rawhead

For those of you who have, any special technique to share. It'll be my first time doing it.
Soak the wrap in water prior to putting it on the pipes. It makes it a bit easier to stretch, and it keeps you from getting you hands, clothes, bike & garages covered in the powder that comes-off as you do the job.

Also...don't expect the heat to be reduced all that much...your pipes will still get hot enuf to melt the heel of a boot (or the heel of an Air Jordan 19se).

Old 03-08-2007, 05:47 PM
ROADTRAIN
Road Captain

cracked the pipe due to retaining to much heat

Old 03-08-2007, 06:03 PM
rawhead
Advanced

That's definately not good roadtrain. I haven't heard of that happening before. Jumpman did you use thermo-tec wrap. Any particular brand better than another. Does anyone know by any chance if thunderheader does repainting on their black ceramic. I've got some oxidization on the exhaust right by the mid mounts. Not a huge deal but just curious for the future.

Quick Reply: Wrapping pipes?