General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: HOw do you feel about these new bikes
That's my kinda bike
18.14%
Not for me but i dig it
66.67%
Dumbest thing I've seen
7.11%
Destroy them all
8.09%
Voters: 408. You may not vote on this poll

Official New Harley Models 500 and 700 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 10:25 PM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 83 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by djeango
well... I am more or less the exact demographic that harley is shooting for with this one except for the fact that i'm in my 30's and could buy a more expensive bike if i wanted to. I was about to buy an iron in december as my first bike, but instead, yesterday i plopped down a deposit for the street 750... I couldn't be more excited. That white cafe version looks american badass and ducati sexy all at once. The bike is light weight, revs relatively high, and is still american. I'm a little brown dude who would look silly on a huge hippo of a bagger. I struggled with buying a harley because inasmuch as i wanted to buy american, it became hard to justify the high cost, old tech, and low performance of harley. A ducati monster almost got me... This "little" 750 is exactly what harley needed from my perspective. It's more modern looking, relatively inexpensive, will be highly customizable, and still rings harley. I think it'll be the american version of the ducati monster... It's a cool entry level bike that will likely be easily enjoyed by anyone who is under 6' and 200+lbs...

I can't wait to jump on my piglet. Whoever called it a piglet first deserves an award and credit... Hilarious. Unlike a piglet, i bet it won't suckling... At all. It'll be great.

Nice !!!! Hope you get lot's of great miles and memories from it !

Old 11-09-2013, 01:39 AM
Dutch1976
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Something about it's lines is kinda funky looking. But I hope they sell a million of them. And I look forward to custom builders tearing them down and making badass looking rides.

Old 11-09-2013, 01:42 AM
Dutch1976
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dutch1976
And I look forward to custom builders tearing them down and making badass looking rides.

Looks like they're already doing it.

Old 11-09-2013, 06:39 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,253 Likes on 4,783 Posts

Originally Posted by rjg883c
You mean metric riders are more open minded then Harley riders? Astonishing!
I want to be clear that I love all motorcycles but being that these are made overseas aren't they technically metric bikes?

Old 11-09-2013, 07:27 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by IronAss
I want to be clear that I love all motorcycles but being that these are made overseas aren't they technically metric bikes?
You should take a look at yourselves through the eyes of a foreigner! As far as some of us are concerned every Harley is made overseas and, by the way, your government signed off a law to turn metric back in 1975. They just didn't say when!

Old 11-09-2013, 07:42 AM
BluBeaSSt
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by IronAss
They will still be assembled in Kansas City with the Sportsters. Just parts will be made over seas....So they will be like any other Harley's. I should know My company brings the Containers into the KC plant from the Rail Road.

Old 11-09-2013, 08:55 AM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 83 Posts

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascit....html?page=all

...The motorcycles will be sold around the globe. The U.S. models will be produced in Kansas City. For the first time ever, the international models will be completely constructed in Bawal, India, at a plant Harley-Davidson opened in 2011.

Harley-Davidson currently manufactures all the parts for its Indian factory in the United States and then ships kit bikes for assembly to India and Brazil to avoid tariffs. However, the change to completely producing the motorcycles in India will lower the price in regional markets and make them a more attractive buy...

I know that contradicts the post above ,just providing this bizjournals update.

Old 11-09-2013, 10:08 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,253 Likes on 4,783 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
You should take a look at yourselves through the eyes of a foreigner! As far as some of us are concerned every Harley is made overseas and, by the way, your government signed off a law to turn metric back in 1975. They just didn't say when!
I don't care to look at myself through the eyes of a foreigner. I am an American and I believe in American exceptionalism, always have and always will. The American Gov't passed a law that says they must balance the budget every year as well and we here in the U.S. see how well that went.

Originally Posted by BluBeaSSt
They will still be assembled in Kansas City with the Sportsters. Just parts will be made over seas....So they will be like any other Harley's. I should know My company brings the Containers into the KC plant from the Rail Road.
Which is a good enough reason not to want one in my opinion. I already won't buy a new Harley due to all the parts that come from foreign markets. It doesn't matter to me where they are assembled. For what they cost, the entire bike should be produced and assembled here in the U.S. The only thing about Harley being an American motorcycle anymore is the hype the MOCO wants people to believe and many do believe it.

I am getting ready to put mine up for sale and buy a Russian Motorcycle right now. At least I'll know where it was made.

Gonna let mine go relatively cheap if anyone is interested. Won't ship it though.

Old 11-09-2013, 12:05 PM
FLTR08
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 89FLHT
http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascit....html?page=all

...The motorcycles will be sold around the globe. The U.S. models will be produced in Kansas City. For the first time ever, the international models will be completely constructed in Bawal, India, at a plant Harley-Davidson opened in 2011.

Harley-Davidson currently manufactures all the parts for its Indian factory in the United States and then ships kit bikes for assembly to India and Brazil to avoid tariffs. However, the change to completely producing the motorcycles in India will lower the price in regional markets and make them a more attractive buy...

I know that contradicts the post above ,just providing this bizjournals update.

You have to understand that there are a lot of people who have shot their mouth off about how Harley is "Building bikes in India." Despite the KC business reporters, the motor company themselves, and all the people who attended the November dealer event in Kansas City and actually saw the Street production line, these people aren't going to admit they have made fools out of themselves. Despite the fact that Harley-Davidson has spent the week holding web conferences with employees, dealerships, and contractors detailing the roll out and manufacturing of the new Street models, these clueless people aren't going to admit they don't know what they are talking about.

They will just go on babbling their BS about how the bike is made in India and just assembled here no matter how wrong they are. For some people, stupidity is a badge of honor.

Old 11-09-2013, 01:04 PM
aebeid2000
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would work in my country

I think it'll work well in some foreign countries. Take Egypt for example (where I come from) , where the streets are extremely crowded and there's no chance you could enjoy riding a bagger or so ! I even sold my Street Glide & bought a new Sportster to be able to ride regularly . I am sure the 2 new models would be a success.

Quick Reply: Official New Harley Models 500 and 700 Thread