General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: HOw do you feel about these new bikes
That's my kinda bike
18.14%
Not for me but i dig it
66.67%
Dumbest thing I've seen
7.11%
Destroy them all
8.09%
Voters: 408. You may not vote on this poll

Official New Harley Models 500 and 700 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 09:15 AM
traffic jam
Road Warrior
Received 691 Likes on 303 Posts

I've had a couple of Jap bikes over the years. They were pretty nice.

Proud to be one of "YOU PEOPLE."

Old 11-03-2013, 09:22 AM
brunswickoh
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I ride to the University of Akron, there are lots of small cc sport bikes packed into the motorcycle parking areas. Lots of them are very cool bikes with really nice technology on them, that's what the younger market wants and it's always a good thing to appeal to different market segments. I'd love to see Harley doing some stuff that would attract the younger crowd. -- cheap, fast, nimble, lightweight-- make that and put a Harley badge on it and I'm sure they'll get some converts- Harley owners tend to be buyers for life, so the earlier you can get people attracted to your brand the better off you are as a company.

Old 11-03-2013, 10:09 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,072 Likes on 2,507 Posts

I agree with Brunswick. Getting younger people started in the HD brand is a good idea. I'll bet there are life long HD riders on this board, maybe even in this thread, who started on Aermacchi Harleys from the early 1960s to the mid 70s. I can tell you from experience, they didn't have the build quality that one of the made in India 500cc bikes will probably have.

I suspect there are two reasons why the Aermacchi Harley models were successful. One, there was a trail and off road riding boom during that time. Two, there weren't any internet forums to rally against them as "not real Harleys". If you're riding an HD today; you owe a tip of the hat to those cheap imported bikes. They carried the motor company when the sales of bigger bikes were almost non existent.

Then again, I could be full of sh*t

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 11-03-2013 at 10:11 AM.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:13 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,649 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Looks like rice. NOT interested.

Old 11-03-2013, 10:24 AM
brunswickoh
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You're not the target market- again, it's about attracting different market segments. If you're a fan of Harley Davidson, you would surely be a fan of a more healthy growing company with a solid future.

Old 11-03-2013, 12:35 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,984 Likes on 17,897 Posts

Originally Posted by vizcarmb
Hey moderator can we stop the use of Jap on this forum. Not liking this. I would rather hear metric than JAP

A good portion of YOU PEOPLE seem to be very out of touch and need to get out of your one track minded bubble
You've been voted off the island get your **** & leave please ....... how's that work for you ? . Don't like something don't read it instead of whining like a little girl about it to the parents . Most of us are very much in touch with the real world and deliberately CHOOSE not to play all the little PC control games some of you seem all about , it's a little thing called personal freedom ................

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 11-03-2013 at 02:57 PM.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:24 PM
Dirty Harry
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,068 Likes on 531 Posts

Copied from OP:

Any thoughts on this new bike?

“It is apparently 500cc and has a water cooled engine. Harley will import the parts or assemblies from India but do final assembly in the US to avoid duty for NA sold bikes.”

Fat Tony,

You asked for thoughts so here goes. Please know that my negative thoughts are not directed towards you Fat Tony or anyone else here on this forum. I’ve enjoyed all of your input here on these pages. I’m not sure I can separate my disappointment and anger in MoCo, while sharing how truly feel about this addition to their fleet. With that, I’ll wait till I ride one before sinking it. I’m not a real educated guy Ok, I’m just a country redneck who earned his way like you folks and fellow riders who might read this. I’ll try to be as thoughtful as I know how and as brief as it takes me.

I was one of us that were excited about the V-rod when I first read about its development. I felt that MoCo was doing something positive to attract the younger more aggressive riders to the flock and bring a great high performance machine that I truly believe is a great addition to the fleet. My son owned a 08 Night-Rod special and I enjoyed every mile I put on that bike.

Now, here comes the new “500cc miracle pill” that’s intended to relieve MoCo’s self inflicted diarrhea problem. AKA “shitting your *** out.” While I’m excited for the bikes new technology and performance but not the design, I’m really turned off that parts and assemlies will be imported. The taxes that MoCo owed “us” here, given to them by “us” while buying their products, went across the pond once again by MoCo to develop another business to compete with “us”. By “us” I mean “us” who get up every day, haul our *** to what ever we do to earn the $ we give to MoCo. And the best they can do is to ask “us” to buy into a “500cc miracle pill” made in another country to help relive their self inflicted **** party that means fewer jobs for “us”. Nice going MoCo. DREAM THE *** ON!!!!!

More of my thinking is most likely you’ll be seeing less merchandise following me home from my local HD dealers since there is going to be fewer trips there. The two edge sword here is, this action hurts local economy and the families whose provider works at these dealerships.

I take ownership for making decisions that impact my life and well being. I didn’t wreck the “Harley Davidson Dream Train” and I’ll do as little as I can to clean up the mess.
End Thoughts.
Doug

Last edited by Dirty Harry; 11-03-2013 at 09:00 PM.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:52 PM
Carl '69
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 695 Likes on 338 Posts

Lest we all forget, the MoCo's done this before. Anyone remember the Italian Aermacchis they imported/re-branded in the '60's & '70's?

Old 11-03-2013, 06:51 PM
BJB
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by flhxkiller
Was out this afternoon looking at a Buell Blast with my younger sister, she doesn't feel comfortable on my 1200C. Looks like a good fit for her to start on, and the price is right. Needs tires and some TLC and she'll be good to go in the spring for $1600.
I picked one up a couple of years ago to make a special Xmas for my kid sister. * year old from the local H-D dealers Riders edge course. 1100 miles, 1/4 mile of scratches & nicks in the plastic, & a bright orange color. She was thrilled.
I'm bigger than vicenzajay from up above. I look like a monkey on a FB, but I do ride it. Actually more than her. I have had it up to 65, but it took a while. 2 up? No way; I sit on the rear fender.
It is the hardest starting, coldest blooded SOB in the world. There is a ton of info on the internet about solutions. It is very easy to work on though. If you are going to be the wrench let me know & I'll share my experience & maybe save you some time & possibly $$.
I'd love to have the $$$ to make one of these into a one lung thumper with a rear sprocket about the size of the rear wheel, ala a Buell version of an old BSA Victor.
I know my sister would like an H-D but handling a heavier (Sporty) bike wouldn't work w/ her knee.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:08 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,884 Likes on 2,422 Posts

I think the idea of a entry HD would be prtty cool but I have seen Motor Vehicle engineering from that part of the world and it aint pretty.. How about a USA product?

Um hello Aeromacci (sp)

Quick Reply: Official New Harley Models 500 and 700 Thread