General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: HOw do you feel about these new bikes
That's my kinda bike
18.14%
Not for me but i dig it
66.67%
Dumbest thing I've seen
7.11%
Destroy them all
8.09%
Voters: 408. You may not vote on this poll

Official New Harley Models 500 and 700 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 06:29 PM
av ultra
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

We have them for the new riders course out here, my wife is going to be on one at the end of the month. (god help them)

Old 06-10-2014, 06:52 PM
04Hali
Road Warrior
Received 243 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildon883R
Made in India assembled in the United States. Deal breaker for me. I do like downsizing. I remember riding when 90% of us rode 650s and 750s. I don't know who or what the heck ever started this buy a 800lb 1600cc lead sled revolution. The only bad part of this decision is importing a foreign made motorcycle and calling it a Harley. Made in America is the only thing that lets Harley get away with selling motorcycles that cost as much or more than cars. How many Harleys would sell if they were made in China? I sure as heck wouldn’t own one.
Not true, they are built in Kansas City http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/11/12...nd-street-500/

"All Street 750s and Street 500s for US and Canadian consumption will be built in the Harley-Davidson Vehicle and Powertrain Operations plant in Kansas City, Missouri, where there is a manufacturing line dedicated to producing the liquid-cooled Revolution X engine, a new 60-degree V-twin featuring chain-driven single overhead camshafts".

"'Harley-Davidson, in a move that helps make clear the manufacturing location of its new Street models, invited its North American dealers to Kansas City this month to see for themselves that the bikes for US and Canadian consumption are being built right here in the U.S."

Old 06-10-2014, 08:07 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by 04Hali
Not true, they are built in Kansas City http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/11/12...nd-street-500/

"All Street 750s and Street 500s for US and Canadian consumption will be built in the Harley-Davidson Vehicle and Powertrain Operations plant in Kansas City, Missouri, where there is a manufacturing line dedicated to producing the liquid-cooled Revolution X engine, a new 60-degree V-twin featuring chain-driven single overhead camshafts".

"'Harley-Davidson, in a move that helps make clear the manufacturing location of its new Street models, invited its North American dealers to Kansas City this month to see for themselves that the bikes for US and Canadian consumption are being built right here in the U.S."
Don't confuse people with facts. It's not a "real" Harley........

Old 06-11-2014, 06:06 PM
04Hali
Road Warrior
Received 243 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by '05Train
Don't confuse people with facts. It's not a "real" Harley........
My bad, I should have known better.

Old 06-11-2014, 06:52 PM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by 04Hali

Built/Assembled is the same thing. The parts are manufactured and supplied from India supplied kits not American manufacturers according to numerous web sites.. Regretfully not even those bikes made in the USA are 100% USA made parts. Whats even more sad is when you have a country like Japan outsourcing to China. Japanese electronics once world class are not China class.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:00 PM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildon883R
Built/Assembled is the same thing. The parts are manufactured and supplied from India supplied kits not American manufacturers according to numerous web sites.. Regretfully not even those bikes made in the USA are 100% USA made parts. Whats even more sad is when you have a country like Japan outsourcing to China. Japanese electronics once world class are not China class.
Read it again. "'Harley-Davidson, in a move that helps make clear the MANUFACTURING location of its new Street models, invited its North American dealers to Kansas City this month to see for themselves that the bikes for US and Canadian consumption are being built right here in the U.S."

Do you think built/assembled and MANUFACTURED are one and the same?

Old 06-11-2014, 09:00 PM
Halojumper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,360 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by roadking2000

Do you think built/assembled and MANUFACTURED are one and the same?
Unfortunately, the distinction has blurred. Honda, when they built cars and bikes at their Marysville plant was able to claim that they were made (manufactured) in the USA, even though the drive train "parts" were being imported from Japan. Assembly from parts does often legally count as manufacturing. I believe Subaru does that same thing.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:09 PM
From_Behind
Club Member

Received 897 Likes on 517 Posts

Originally Posted by Halojumper

Unfortunately, the distinction has blurred. Honda, when they built cars and bikes at their Marysville plant was able to claim that they were made (manufactured) in the USA, even though the drive train "parts" were being imported from Japan. Assembly from parts does often legally count as manufacturing. I believe Subaru does that same thing.
They still do build the Accord there in Marysville - my neighbor just retired about a month ago after having his career there. Unlike most "American" companies, he has a pension. The Honda Pilot and Acura MDX are manufactured by Americans in Alabama.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:16 PM
Halojumper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,360 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by From_Behind
They still do build the Accord there in Marysville - my neighbor just retired about a month ago after having his career there. Unlike most "American" companies, he has a pension. The Honda Pilot and Acura MDX are manufactured by Americans in Alabama.
Except for (unless things have changed) the most important part, the drive train.

Old 06-14-2014, 03:10 AM
terryrh
Elite HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Psych0hans
Sooooooooo.... I actually went and saw be bike today as it's already been launched in India with deliveries to start some time in June. By golly the bike is tiny. I swear it's been designed for midgets... I'm only 5'7"(not tall by any standards) and even I'm cramped on the bike... It supposedly produces 60nm of torque with no word on hp numbers.

Pics...

It's a mystery to me how anyone over 5'5" is going to manage with this bike... I saw no space provided for forward controls either... The quality seems not up to par and switch gear is definitely sub standard by Harley standards... Didn't take many pics this time, but I'll go for a test ride this week and come back with more pics and hopefully something good to say about it...
Did you do that test ride yet? Read up a lot on this bike and I've pretty much come that this will be the bike for the OL. She wanted a Softail, but said they're too heavy after she went bike sitting (I know), and she has many times said she doesn't' want a Sporty, so now it's looking like this will be the bike it will be. As far as TQ/HP # real world, especially compared to comparable bikes, it's not too bad at all. I'm kinda anxious for them to get them here in Hawaii. I'm sure this will be one of the last places to get it though.

Quick Reply: Official New Harley Models 500 and 700 Thread