Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: HOw do you feel about these new bikes
That's my kinda bike
18.14%
Not for me but i dig it
66.67%
Dumbest thing I've seen
7.11%
Destroy them all
8.09%
Voters: 408. You may not vote on this poll

Official New Harley Models 500 and 700 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 10:39 AM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 552 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by rleedeuce
Can't wait to see the 500 and 750 in person and hear their motors. I have to say both look incredible to ME. I bought a Triumph Bonneville for a "spare" bike and for when my 65 year old butt is tired of wrestling with all the weight of my Big Bike.

Looking at these two new Harleys I see the appeal of a Japanese quality V-twin but with much more AMERICAN looks to it. The bikini fairing is very SOA and the pipes don't make me gag like what the Japanese seem to pick.

Think of all the new younger riders that will descend on the dealership and purchase Harley do-rags, jackets, boots, mugs, toilet paper and what-not. This opens up Harley to hordes of youngsters and those that want a more nimble machine but love the marque.

Genius! Good luck Harley! Bring it ON!

I saw a gaggle of young flannel shirt wearing, sneaker equipped kids the other day bombing around on some cheap thrown together Hogs that looked like maybe $5,000 worth of nuts and bolts. Now those same kids can have a better made entry option. I could SEE they were gassed about Harleys but these new bikes look like even more FUN.

Riding 50 years. Owned every Harley from a 1960 XLCH, full dressers, choppers I made, and now finally modifying a Deuce. Also owned sportbikes, trail bikes and Japanese street machines.

I LIKE what I see!
With age, and experience, comes wisdom!

Old 11-18-2013, 11:06 AM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 375 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by rleedeuce
....Looking at these two new Harleys I see the appeal of a Japanese quality V-twin.....

I don't "see the Japanese quality" in these units, however I hope this proves to be the case, if so they should be a huge success and make HD a lot of money since warranty claims will be low.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:26 PM
HOT DAMN!
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 11-19-2013, 04:10 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,863 Likes on 2,428 Posts

Thanks HD, a good read. A recent announcement in the press here in the UK says that the 500 is only for the USA market. I'm sure it will have benefits elsewhere, so it will be interesting to see what actually happens. We have a major national Bike Show here next week, but unfortunately these new Harleys won't be there.

Last edited by grbrown; 11-19-2013 at 04:24 AM.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:33 AM
HOT DAMN!
Advanced

Also there is this post on the wild guzzi forum

"Yesterday I had the opportunity to ride the new HD V Twin. Although covered by a Non Disclosure Agreement, I can say that I am impressed. Designed for the beginner and offered for the training courses, this bike hits dead center, bulls eye, on target. Power delivery is linear, clutch engagement smooth and with a wide friction zone and minimal lever effort. Seating is comfortable with several seats available for a custom fit to the student. Shifting is low effort and precise with no false neutrals. Handling is light and nimble without any oversteer like most of the Asian bikes used in the MSF programs here. Legroom is way better than the others as well. With the optional ,ahem, crash protectors nothing touches the ground even when flopped over on the bars. The mirrors stay intact! Asian cruisers just got blown away. If it proves reliable and low maintenance, I can see this bike in my fleet. The 750 version will sell and may even eclipse the 883 slug.

I don't always like HD but when I do, It must be special."

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=64496.160

Interestingly, the poster, Red Rider is also an MSF instructor, and guzzi rider in SC. Though he is 56, FWTW.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:37 AM
HOT DAMN!
Advanced

Originally Posted by grbrown
A recent announcement in the press here in the UK says that the 500 is only for the USA market.
Hmmm, I would think the smaller displacement 500 would suite the Asian market well, no?

Old 11-19-2013, 06:49 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,863 Likes on 2,428 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by HOT DAMN!
Hmmm, I would think the smaller displacement 500 would suite the Asian market well, no?
Pretty well anywhere! We use mid-sized bikes for training over here, just as you do and that probably applies to many countries around the world. The features described in that article, with rev limiter in low gears for learners, could help millions of newcomers! Some countries have capacity limits or power limits for new riders and there is probably a market for the 500. We'll see!

Early in my biking career I helped out on a volunteer training school. We used BSA Bantams, based on the same DKW as the Hummers. I recall telling many first timers how to raise engine speed a little and ease out the clutch - then watch them as they wound the throttle wide open and simultaneously dropped the clutch!

What amazed me is those little bikes seemed unstoppable and would shudder away into motion, followed a few minutes later by a grinning idiot, pleased as punch that he had successfully ridden on two wheels and survived. Modern bikes don't have the same learner benefits, they're not quite the same!

Last edited by grbrown; 11-19-2013 at 06:51 AM.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:53 AM
HOT DAMN!
Advanced

I can't wait to ride one or both actually.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:19 AM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

It's got the HD logo on it .... it will sell big overseas and I bet we will see plenty of them on our streets. Wonder how the fuel consumption will be?

Old 11-19-2013, 08:37 AM
zion
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HOT DAMN!
Also there is this post on the wild guzzi forum

"Yesterday I had the opportunity to ride the new HD V Twin. Although covered by a Non Disclosure Agreement, I can say that I am impressed. Designed for the beginner and offered for the training courses, this bike hits dead center, bulls eye, on target. Power delivery is linear, clutch engagement smooth and with a wide friction zone and minimal lever effort. Seating is comfortable with several seats available for a custom fit to the student. Shifting is low effort and precise with no false neutrals. Handling is light and nimble without any oversteer like most of the Asian bikes used in the MSF programs here. Legroom is way better than the others as well. With the optional ,ahem, crash protectors nothing touches the ground even when flopped over on the bars. The mirrors stay intact! Asian cruisers just got blown away. If it proves reliable and low maintenance, I can see this bike in my fleet. The 750 version will sell and may even eclipse the 883 slug.

I don't always like HD but when I do, It must be special."

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=64496.160

Interestingly, the poster, Red Rider is also an MSF instructor, and guzzi rider in SC. Though he is 56, FWTW.
FWIW

I know this guy and the guy who was interviewed for the RideApart review. Somehow they got invites to test the "trainer" versions to be used by RidersEdge and to be offered to MSF. Why the rest of us instructors didn't get invites? Who knows.

Both guys are very seasoned riders, so I would take their input to be fair and impartial. The older one who posted on the Guzzi forum is a European/Sport Tourer type rider by default, so his opinion is definitely neutral and not biased. The younger guy who was interviewed by RideApart has roughly the same background, but more sport bike oriented... again, a neutral opinion.

Just wish I'd gotten the invite myself.

Quick Reply: Official New Harley Models 500 and 700 Thread