General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: HOw do you feel about these new bikes
That's my kinda bike
18.14%
Not for me but i dig it
66.67%
Dumbest thing I've seen
7.11%
Destroy them all
8.09%
Voters: 408. You may not vote on this poll

Official New Harley Models 500 and 700 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 12:14 PM
Ultra Mac
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And that Timmy is how I see it was aimed for. Budget conscious beginners or women small folks wow has this gone off on tangents lol
If this was around as I was starting out again I may have considered it as a start.
Only missed a shot at my son by a decade or so.

Old 11-16-2013, 12:49 PM
doc ock
Road Master

I'm waiting for the mods of this site to create a new section just for these new bikes.

Old 11-16-2013, 03:52 PM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,660 Likes on 1,261 Posts

It's a six speed V rod that looks like a sportster. I will call it a hybrid 2009 XL 1200 R . But is it our second V rod . Called the Revo X !

Old 11-17-2013, 01:43 AM
HYPR
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by John Coyle

I spotted this baby while I was running between halls at SEMA last week, and even just parked in a nondescript corner on a patch of seriously God-awful carpet, it looked bad ***. The exhaust looks killer, and it’d be wicked if the factory integrated the classic Stars and Stripes #1 into the paint scheme. I imagine bikes like that’d make some buyers considering Triumph or Ducati think twice.

Couple more photos on the Blog.
This is exactly what I had in mind when I said they should make a full line of them. This would be a perfect design to go after the sport bike crowd with. Just need to breath a little fire into the motor and let 'er rip. Also offer a full faring version as well. Anything but a minnie touring version (that would make my lunch come up!). I know this could have a negative effect on the 883 but I would drop that anyway and focus more attention on the 1200.
The V-Rod also needs to grow in displacement as well. About time for a 1500 version with a Sport bike version but again just don't do a touring version, leave that to the Road Glide when it returns.
I believe this would fill out the line and build the next generation of HD riders.
No regarding the comment from a previous poster replying to my first post that he didn't think entry riders who originally had their eyes on a Harley getting metric brain washed, well I know 3 people who did just that (2 Kawasaki, and one Star) and 2 others that made the switch out of a metrics (one Yamaha and one Suzuki into an American V-twin...just sadly into Victory's (both cases the respected dealers happened to also carry Victory)not Harleys. They all had originally wanted Harleys nut there was no entry level bike for them and when they were ready the dealer just made them the offer... Had Harley had an offering for them to start with the dealer could have stepped them right up in the line.
I have ridden with the first 3 and am related to the other 2 so I know this all is fact. My friends, like it or not, this is marketing and for us to survive the line up must grow. Those who just want to MOCO bash, well I can't and won't argue with you because of course you are right so just keep up the fight and let me know how it works out for you. Personally if I was that unhappy with a vendor I would stop buying a supporting their crap and find something better offered by a vendor I liked better.
Bob

Old 11-17-2013, 02:14 AM
slozomby
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a sport bike version? so it'll get left in the dust by every inline 4 out there?

Old 11-17-2013, 10:53 AM
HotIceHD
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by John Coyle

I spotted this baby while I was running between halls at SEMA last week, and even just parked in a nondescript corner on a patch of seriously God-awful carpet, it looked bad ***. The exhaust looks killer, and it’d be wicked if the factory integrated the classic Stars and Stripes #1 into the paint scheme. I imagine bikes like that’d make some buyers considering Triumph or Ducati think twice.

Couple more photos on the Blog.
That looks like an oddly painted XR1200X with some mods.
Which HD discontinued, as well as killed Buell.
Clearly HD does not seem interested in that market, which I think it could be a rewarding place to be in.
But apparently either they were not able to get enough $$ out of it, to make it worth, or they make too much of $$ with the classic line, to rule out such segment.

PS: I'd still own my Ducati's in any case

Old 11-17-2013, 08:50 PM
32vld
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Problem is it takes more then putting Harley Davidson on a gas tank and expect the bike to sell well.

Haley sold a lot of the old 45's (750) because they put you on a classic looking bike for less money then a bike twin.

Hummers and Americhi's did not sell well because they had no resemblance to the Big Harley's.

V rods do not sell well and those engines put out double the HP of a 88 or 96". They do not look like a Harley.

I would bet dollars to doughnuts that if the factory offered the V rods engine as an option when the 96" powered the big twins and now with the 103's. I doubt that any V rods would be sold and over half the big twins would have WC V rod engines.

Why is it that the wrong people get to be CEO's at companies as Harley, GM, etc?

These new models, the 500 and 750 are ugly. Also I think the 750 and the 883 Sportster are too close in engine size.

Old 11-17-2013, 10:12 PM
Rockatansky
Advanced

I like it, in concept. A Harley that I can toss around in the twisties or in the city, an HD with more ground clearance than a '64 Chebbie on Daytons, an "American" bike that weighs less than my truck? I look forward to checking one out when they hit the dealers.

Old 11-17-2013, 10:15 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 556 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by 32vld
These new models, the 500 and 750 are ugly. Also I think the 750 and the 883 Sportster are too close in engine size.
Ugly? Because they don't look like a Harley? That is a subjective opinion. Since there are many metric riders that might be ready to try a Harley, who knows if these will work? If Harley had been producing these for several years, their reliability was a known fact, and they weren't black, I would have picked up one of these instead of a Sportster.

The reason for me to try a Harley was simply because I have owned/ridden just about everything else. This 'experiment' will be interesting.

Ron

Old 11-18-2013, 04:27 AM
rleedeuce
Road Captain
Received 116 Likes on 69 Posts
Default Handsome bikes

Can't wait to see the 500 and 750 in person and hear their motors. I have to say both look incredible to ME. I bought a Triumph Bonneville for a "spare" bike and for when my 65 year old butt is tired of wrestling with all the weight of my Big Bike.

Looking at these two new Harleys I see the appeal of a Japanese quality V-twin but with much more AMERICAN looks to it. The bikini fairing is very SOA and the pipes don't make me gag like what the Japanese seem to pick.

Think of all the new younger riders that will descend on the dealership and purchase Harley do-rags, jackets, boots, mugs, toilet paper and what-not. This opens up Harley to hordes of youngsters and those that want a more nimble machine but love the marque.

Genius! Good luck Harley! Bring it ON!

I saw a gaggle of young flannel shirt wearing, sneaker equipped kids the other day bombing around on some cheap thrown together Hogs that looked like maybe $5,000 worth of nuts and bolts. Now those same kids can have a better made entry option. I could SEE they were gassed about Harleys but these new bikes look like even more FUN.

Riding 50 years. Owned every Harley from a 1960 XLCH, full dressers, choppers I made, and now finally modifying a Deuce. Also owned sportbikes, trail bikes and Japanese street machines.

I LIKE what I see!

Quick Reply: Official New Harley Models 500 and 700 Thread