General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: HOw do you feel about these new bikes
That's my kinda bike
18.14%
Not for me but i dig it
66.67%
Dumbest thing I've seen
7.11%
Destroy them all
8.09%
Voters: 408. You may not vote on this poll

Official New Harley Models 500 and 700 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 08:44 AM
Walter White
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 51,726 Likes on 18,261 Posts

Originally Posted by perki48
I am amazed at how many "can not" read and keep insisting that they will be made in India for the American market. Kansas City you idiots is not in India.

----
They are new, different and water cooled, some here want them to fail so they can remain exclusive. God forbid that Asians or youngsters start riding Harley Davidsons. So they will continue the lie that they are "Indian built" even though there is a poster on this thread who has been to the KC factory and watched them being "built" not "assembled.

I wonder if our older Harley riders will welcome the new ones or just grumble and label them as posers.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:54 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Walter White
I wonder if our older Harley riders will welcome the new ones or just grumble and label them as posers.
Having retired recently and still riding Harleys, since shortly after the Ark was launched, I can see the appeal of the new bikes. But then I've owned Shovels, since before the Evo was invented, as well as a TC ditto, even a Sporty.......

Old 11-12-2013, 09:00 AM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts

I wonder if our older Harley riders will welcome the new ones or just grumble and label them as posers.[/QUOTE]

You already know the answer to that question. LOL

Old 11-12-2013, 09:24 AM
Walter White
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Stretchman
So wrong. Firstly, despite how my bike looks, it's as advanced as anything on the road. From it's power delivery and it's stick the road adherence to proper riding plane, there's nothing 'deco' about it. It's the real deal through and through.

American is more than a simple philosophy or look. Way more. It's funny how everyone judges American simply because they've had it right all along.
----
I agree. HD bikes have some advanced systems from self cancelling turn signals to anti lock braking to running on one cylinder while idling in hot weather to cruise control. My heavy RG is very nimble and stops very well yet maintains HD's heritage in style.

On the other hand I do believe they can do better with the motors. Why do you think the vast majority buy one and immediately change the pipes, air intake, cams and remap the efi?

The 500 and 750 will offer a great deal of "tinkering" to increase performance. Being water cooled they will already run at peak performance in hot weather or while idling in traffic.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:58 AM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Stretchman
So wrong. Firstly, despite how my bike looks, it's as advanced as anything on the road. From it's power delivery and it's stick the road adherence to proper riding plane, there's nothing 'deco' about it. It's the real deal through and through.

American is more than a simple philosophy or look. Way more. It's funny how everyone judges American simply because they've had it right all along.
So your motocycle puts out as much power and handles as well as a Ducati Diavel? It's pushrod motor is definitely not as advanced as say a 4 cylinder Japanese motor that's about 1/3 the size and puts out more power.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:27 AM
Sailrider 1
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
Quite right. That point has been made several times in this thread, but the lie won't lie down!
It's amazing isn't it ?

Old 11-12-2013, 10:51 AM
Walter White
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Village Idiot™
So your motocycle puts out as much power and handles as well as a Ducati Diavel? It's pushrod motor is definitely not as advanced as say a 4 cylinder Japanese motor that's about 1/3 the size and puts out more power.
Even Ford is squeezing more HP and Torque from smaller engines. The 2014 Mustang will have an option of a Turbo 2.3L 4 cylinder motor putting out just over 300HP!

4 and 6 cylider cars are now putting out more HP & Torque AND getting better gas mileage than the pushrod motors of long ago.

Imagine if Moco could put out these kind of numbers in any of their bikes? They would sell despite the tradition.
From a comparison of the Triumph Rocket III vs Yamaha V-max in 2010
http://www.cycleworld.com/2010/06/14...-vmax-vs-3max/

"In raw acceleration, the VMax wins hands-down, doing 0-60 mph in just 2.5 seconds and torching the quarter-mile in 10.11 seconds at 137 mph. The Triumph managed only an 11.48/115-mph quarter and a 0-60 time of 3.3 seconds. Mr. Max’s top speed is electronically limited to 138 mph, but he still topped the Roadster by 15 mph in that category.
Things changed a bit on the CW dyno where the end result was a split decision. The Max slaughtered the Rocket in peak hp, 174 at 9000 rpm to 120 at 5300; but the Triumph did the deed in torque, managing 140 ft.-lb. at 3200 rpm as opposed to 113 at 6600 for the Star."

How much would an HD owner have to spend to get anywhere near this?

The vrod and these new street bikes are heading in that direction.

Last edited by Walter White; 11-12-2013 at 10:59 AM.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:55 AM
klf33
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

I think the point for me is this.. If i wanted performance I would have bought a Yamaha, if I wanted reliability I would have bought a Honda, my highest priority was the raw feel of the engine, the simplicity of the Bike, and Mechanical Vintage feel. Air Cooled was the appeal. the old 'Chopper' soul.
Even Honda and Ducati are bringing older 'air cooled' models.
There were days where Yamaha put 'fake pushrod' and Honda changed the sound to give people that 'feel'.

If you want to compete for performance, I may as well get a Honda, save 500$ insurance/Gas/Maintenance yearly and to be honest, this maybe the way to go if the MoCo continues this way, there was a feel for the 'special club' you are in, and they are diluting it quick.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:04 AM
Walter White
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by klf33
I think the point for me is this.. If i wanted performance I would have bought a Yamaha, if I wanted reliability I would have bought a Honda, my highest priority was the raw feel of the engine, the simplicity of the Bike, and Mechanical Vintage feel. Air Cooled was the appeal. the old 'Chopper' soul.
Even Honda and Ducati are bringing older 'air cooled' models.
There were days where Yamaha put 'fake pushrod' and Honda changed the sound to give people that 'feel'.

If you want to compete for performance, I may as well get a Honda, save 500$ insurance/Gas/Maintenance yearly and to be honest, this maybe the way to go if the MoCo continues this way, there was a feel for the 'special club' you are in, and they are diluting it quick.
----
Yet from your signature you spent quite a bit to "improve" the performance. Wasn't the traditional HD good enough?

Old 11-12-2013, 11:06 AM
klf33
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Walter White
----
Yet from your signature you spent quite a bit to "improve" the performance. Wasn't the traditional HD good enough?
Not Really, My Engine is bone stock, I changed the cam when I changed the chain tensioner which was a MUST change or it will break the engine.
Not a single Mod I have has to do with Power of Engine really . the SE & Doherty PACC were previous owner installed.
Most of the performance mods are suspension (which you do on any bike) and front brake improvement and of course the LED light you would do this on any bike I changed the shocks on my Jap bikes as well.

I used to race and my last bike before my Harley was a 2002 R1, when people talk about power here it feels like 'who is the tallest midget in the circus' discussion to me :icon_banan a:

Last edited by klf33; 11-12-2013 at 11:09 AM.

Quick Reply: Official New Harley Models 500 and 700 Thread