Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: HOw do you feel about these new bikes
That's my kinda bike
18.14%
Not for me but i dig it
66.67%
Dumbest thing I've seen
7.11%
Destroy them all
8.09%
Voters: 408. You may not vote on this poll

Official New Harley Models 500 and 700 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 01:16 AM
slozomby
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bart van der Meulen
I can give you an example from Europe, guys. In my youth there were no Japs as bikes in the market for 50cc and higher. Without driver license you may ride a 50cc at the age of 16. With driver license >50cc and cars. The youth between 15 and 18 had no other choice than riding the 50cc. The entire market in Europe was dominated by Germand and Austrian 2-stroke bikes, Kreidler (world top in 50cc racing), Zundapp (German quality) and Puch from Austria (bike for alternative youngsters)
The Kreidlers were very good to up power, even the same frame holds the (in German legal) 70cc block and you were 'the man' with the girls. For the ignorants: the looks were of a cafe racer, with or without racing windscreen. They were all expensive in purchase and in parts.
But the companies were absolutely dominating the huge market in Europe. The first Yamaha's appeared on the market, together with the 4-stroke Honda. Riding as fast, must cheaper and consuming less fuel and 2-stroke oil. More attractive for others than only youth.
Twenty years later the dominating European companies hava a niche market, allowed by the Japs to service a small part of the market. Kreidler has bankrupted already in the beginning, trying to compete the Japs on 'image'..
Moral of this story? Don't try to compete the competitor on his own strong fields. Don't imitate him after twenty or more years experience of the competitor in these fields. Don't try to compete your competitor in a market, completey dominated by him.
Develop something complete new, stay with your distinctive models which are imitated by your competitors but never be able to be defeated.
An in the case of Harley Davidson this will mean: stay with your heavy models, your image of 'Made in USA' and the strong points of Harley.
Honda may try with the GoldWing to imitate you, but despite of these efforts most of the HD riders don' t want to be seen on a GW, not even dead.
Develop your engines further, with new techniques to avoid water-cooling, downsize your engines to avoid this as well.
If you want to invade the foreign markets, dominated by Japs, try something new. Develop a trike with a cargo hold on the back, replacing the small 'tuk-tuks' in city cargo transport and deliveries. This part of the market is underdeveloped in these South- and Southeast Asian countries, with choked cities...And will restore Harley's image as 'work horse' as the Liberator were once...Just an advice of a HD rider, living in Asia and just because I have warm feelings for the USA...
meanwhile there are plenty of examples of competitors coming into an established market and dominating them.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:09 AM
Walter White
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 51,201 Likes on 18,130 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronAss
I want to be clear that I love all motorcycles but being that these are made overseas aren't they technically metric bikes?

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
You bring the beer and I'll find another recliner and you can come over to my cave and hang out , what says ? It's like watching a slow train wreck isn't it
------

I read these posts and picture the meeting like this :

Last edited by Walter White; 11-11-2013 at 09:13 AM.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:12 AM
Walter White
Seasoned HDF Member

I have never seen people so loyal to a brand that hate the company making them.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:17 AM
Walter White
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by FLTR08
You have to understand that there are a lot of people who have shot their mouth off about how Harley is "Building bikes in India." Despite the KC business reporters, the motor company themselves, and all the people who attended the November dealer event in Kansas City and actually saw the Street production line, these people aren't going to admit they have made fools out of themselves. Despite the fact that Harley-Davidson has spent the week holding web conferences with employees, dealerships, and contractors detailing the roll out and manufacturing of the new Street models, these clueless people aren't going to admit they don't know what they are talking about.

They will just go on babbling their BS about how the bike is made in India and just assembled here no matter how wrong they are. For some people, stupidity is a badge of honor.
------

Sad isn't it.

Old 11-11-2013, 10:59 AM
slozomby
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HotIceHD
Yep, and then you have Japanese trying to re-make a Morini, a "few" years later (new CB1100)

or it could be they're just reusing their 60's and 70's design

Old 11-11-2013, 01:23 PM
K00LJerk
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the point being missed here is these new bikes are not aimed at most the riders of the forum but to new young riders. The reason Buell didn't pan out is because of the competition i.e. sportbikes too many. The smaller lighter cruiser/bob/cafe will appeal to the younger crowd that doesn't want "grandpas" bike. IMHO

Old 11-11-2013, 05:07 PM
djkolp
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Email from HD: New Street 750/500

Interesting email from HD announcing the new "Street 750cc & 500cc" water cooled bikes.

http://street.harley-davidson.com/?s...ent&camp_id=16

Harley-Davidson Street™ 750
749 CC Liquid Cooled Revolution X™ Engine
6 Speed Transmission
Belt Drive
2 into 1 Exhaust
Mid Mount Controls
Easy Lock to Lock Sweep
Single Caliper Disc Brakes
Specially Tuned Suspension
2 Up Seat with Passenger Pegs
Metal Tank and Fenders
LED Tail Lights and Bullet Signals
Locking Gas Cap, Forks, and Ignition
V Twin 60° 4-Valves per Head
Wheel Size: 17” Front, 15” Rear

Attached Thumbnails Official New Harley Models 500 and 700 Thread-untitled.jpg  
Old 11-11-2013, 05:41 PM
HOT DAMN!
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope they sell a **** ton, not just for my stock options either.

I'd like to throw a leg over this one (not a production model) for a few hours.

Old 11-11-2013, 05:47 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I like the new/old Honda CB. Reminds me of my 350F

Old 11-11-2013, 05:48 PM
HOT DAMN!
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For sale model.

Quick Reply: Official New Harley Models 500 and 700 Thread