General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: HOw do you feel about these new bikes
That's my kinda bike
18.14%
Not for me but i dig it
66.67%
Dumbest thing I've seen
7.11%
Destroy them all
8.09%
Voters: 408. You may not vote on this poll

Official New Harley Models 500 and 700 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 01:22 PM
HotIceHD
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cisco726
You should watch the documentary "Death by China" and see if you still feel that way after.
Ditto.

Old 11-10-2013, 02:43 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 556 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
Plenty of them in this thread!

Welcome to HDF from the UK. Take a look around the rest of HDF, there are richer pickings to be had!
I agree. If someone wants to buy something that looks like, and has the technology of a Honda Shadow, they would be better off getting a Honda Shadow.

Old 11-10-2013, 03:15 PM
Stretchman
Stellar HDF Member

Received 214 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by rjg883c
I agree. If someone wants to buy something that looks like, and has the technology of a Honda Shadow, they would be better off getting a Honda Shadow.
Maybe now they would. But the long term strategy says no. Those bikes, and the cars that come out of Japan are heavily subsidized. the reason they are so cheap here is so they can flood the market and eliminate the competition by driving them out of business. Then tell me how cheap it will be to buy a Honda. Look at the auto market. It's not like imports are as much of a bargain anymore.

Harley is an American company, with American ideals, design and engineering. Right now, it's more cost effective to have manufacturers overseas make parts, and even make bikes. Harley is doing the same thing the Japanese did, except they are doing it in markets where there isn't a large manufacturing base to begin with. The customer base, however, is huge, and has been gouged for years by foreign manufacturers. Harley isn't subsidizing anything, and neither is the government. They are actually producing product that is less expensive, and better then the alternative.

Someday, the world market, like any MLM, will eventually collapse under it's own weight. But the design, technology, and engineering will still be here. Once it becomes cheaper to get what they want locally, they will do it. In the meantime, maybe self righteous flag wavers need to pull their collective heads out and realize that they are going to have to change their thinking somewhat in order to be able to survive in the market. Posers with lame excuses won't cut it in the real world. If you're going to parade around like real Americans waving flags, learn to think like one. Spoiled rotten attitudes will get you nowhere in the long run.

Compete, dammit!

Off my soapbox.

Old 11-10-2013, 03:42 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 556 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by Stretchman
Maybe now they would. But the long term strategy says no.
Compete, dammit!

Off my soapbox.
I well remember the '70s when the tariff was implemented. And Harley improved as a result of competition. Offering these new models is a perfect example of doing that.

My comment meant that if a person wants a Honda Shadow type scooter, why not get the original? It has been built, sold, and tested for several years.

Yes, finally maybe now Harley has finally awakened from it's decades of "this is a Harley, take it as it is or go away" and it is trying to compete, dammit!

Old 11-10-2013, 04:39 PM
HotIceHD
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow! The memories!
I still remember when I was a kid, stealing my brother 3 1/2 when he was out of town
Still, after many years, one of the most beautiful, essential, bikes even produced IMHO.

Originally Posted by Homeward Bound

Old 11-10-2013, 04:42 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Ah, memories indeed! I test rode a Morini 3 1/2 when they were new. Growled like a V-twin low down, howled a like a banshee flat out.

Old 11-10-2013, 04:51 PM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts

My friend has a honda shadow spirit and it is a really nice ride. The difference between the new street 750 and a honda shadow is the shadows are for cruising and reaches it max TQ and HP early in the revs. The 750 reaches max power around 7500 rpms. The street 750 also have 6 gears and believe to produce more power at the rearwheel. As far as vtwins go the vrod, street 750, and 500 produce an incredible amount of power for their engine sizes. My friend is in his twenties and the spirit is his first bike but he plans to eventually get a sportster but now he might be looking at a street especially if they come out with a bigger engine.

Old 11-10-2013, 11:34 PM
TO34
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

At 1st I hated the idea & the look of the new 750 but I started thinking all the reasons I hate yes hate my ultra in the city is all the reasons I keep eyeing bikes I can turn into a Cafe racer. Something to throw around town or bar hop with.

I love my ultra for the long rides but in stop & go its a pain.

I'll have to see them in person before i make the final choice but that motor has me curious as just what can be done to it.

Old 11-11-2013, 12:15 AM
slozomby
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the shadows are no fun to ride. 5speed and shaft drive and a higher base msrp and why would i want one

in the 750 market the cb750 nighthawk (92-03) were their best bikes. an updated version of that would be high on my list of bikes i want.

Last edited by slozomby; 11-11-2013 at 12:19 AM.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:49 AM
Bart van der Meulen
Road Master
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

I can give you an example from Europe, guys. In my youth there were no Japs as bikes in the market for 50cc and higher. Without driver license you may ride a 50cc at the age of 16. With driver license >50cc and cars. The youth between 15 and 18 had no other choice than riding the 50cc. The entire market in Europe was dominated by Germand and Austrian 2-stroke bikes, Kreidler (world top in 50cc racing), Zundapp (German quality) and Puch from Austria (bike for alternative youngsters)
The Kreidlers were very good to up power, even the same frame holds the (in German legal) 70cc block and you were 'the man' with the girls. For the ignorants: the looks were of a cafe racer, with or without racing windscreen. They were all expensive in purchase and in parts.
But the companies were absolutely dominating the huge market in Europe. The first Yamaha's appeared on the market, together with the 4-stroke Honda. Riding as fast, must cheaper and consuming less fuel and 2-stroke oil. More attractive for others than only youth.
Twenty years later the dominating European companies hava a niche market, allowed by the Japs to service a small part of the market. Kreidler has bankrupted already in the beginning, trying to compete the Japs on 'image'..
Moral of this story? Don't try to compete the competitor on his own strong fields. Don't imitate him after twenty or more years experience of the competitor in these fields. Don't try to compete your competitor in a market, completey dominated by him.
Develop something complete new, stay with your distinctive models which are imitated by your competitors but never be able to be defeated.
An in the case of Harley Davidson this will mean: stay with your heavy models, your image of 'Made in USA' and the strong points of Harley.
Honda may try with the GoldWing to imitate you, but despite of these efforts most of the HD riders don' t want to be seen on a GW, not even dead.
Develop your engines further, with new techniques to avoid water-cooling, downsize your engines to avoid this as well.
If you want to invade the foreign markets, dominated by Japs, try something new. Develop a trike with a cargo hold on the back, replacing the small 'tuk-tuks' in city cargo transport and deliveries. This part of the market is underdeveloped in these South- and Southeast Asian countries, with choked cities...And will restore Harley's image as 'work horse' as the Liberator were once...Just an advice of a HD rider, living in Asia and just because I have warm feelings for the USA...

Quick Reply: Official New Harley Models 500 and 700 Thread