General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: HOw do you feel about these new bikes
That's my kinda bike
18.14%
Not for me but i dig it
66.67%
Dumbest thing I've seen
7.11%
Destroy them all
8.09%
Voters: 408. You may not vote on this poll

Official New Harley Models 500 and 700 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 01:12 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,984 Likes on 17,897 Posts

Originally Posted by IronAss
I want to be clear that I love all motorcycles but being that these are made overseas aren't they technically metric bikes?

You bring the beer and I'll find another recliner and you can come over to my cave and hang out , what says ? It's like watching a slow train wreck isn't it

Old 11-09-2013, 01:35 PM
Dusty Bones
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been wanting something a little sportier than my sportster for a while. The 750 might do it. But I just read up on the Yamaha FZ09 and wow. I dont want a full on ricer like a R6, the new 3 cylinder cross plane with 3 maps to choose from, stripped down no fairings, same lean angle as the R6, same tires, light weight. It will blow away the street Harley bike and is $1400 cheaper than the less power triple from Triumph. The engine features are awesome on this bike and it will smoke the 750. In a couple years after I move back to MI and settle down I will get a smaller bike and the FZ09 blows away the street. Im not a brand snob, I love my sportster but I will not limit myself to Harleys only. I read a review of the bike and on tje dyno it put down 107hp to the rear wheel and weighs 414 pounds. There is not a harley out there that will beat that.

Old 11-09-2013, 06:19 PM
Drydock
Stage IV
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

THe Russian Motorcycle? The Ural? That would be the one with its new Japanese suspension, Chinese electronics, German crank and US wiring? I suppose you could find an old one for all that good russian iron.

Luddites come in all forms I guess.

The FZ09 is a dandy bike, a technical achievement. BUt outside the US its illegal for 90% of the riding population to own. Tiered licensing. HD simply wants no part of that increasingly tiny market.

Last edited by Drydock; 11-09-2013 at 06:22 PM.
Old 11-10-2013, 12:08 AM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 556 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by Drydock
THe Russian Motorcycle? The Ural? That would be the one with its new Japanese suspension, Chinese electronics, German crank and US wiring? I suppose you could find an old one for all that good russian iron.

The FZ09 is a dandy bike, a technical achievement. BUt outside the US its illegal for 90% of the riding population to own. Tiered licensing. HD simply wants no part of that increasingly tiny market.
Let me guess, you worship at the altar of Harley and wouldn't consider riding anything else. And it upsets you that someone posted anything except a glowing adulation of Harley. You are new here so be prepared, not everybody here is a 'worshipper'.

Sport bikes are a tiny market? I don't think so. Unless you meant Buell.

Web Bike World reported this:

Ural Motorcycles Reports Sales Increase
May 2, 2013 - (Ural Press Release Edited by webBikeWorld) - Ural Motorcycles reported an 11% increase in sales for Q1 of 2013 over the same period from the record year of 2012.

"It’s been a very long winter for the most part of the country, not surprisingly 75% of our sales during these months were models with on-demand 2WD, which is known for all-weather and snow capability" said Madina Merzhoeva, Ural's Vice President.

"Sales were up every month of Q1, but March turned out to be a bit more challenging. We’ve set ourselves an aggressive 30% growth goal for 2013. It has been a slower start than expected, so we are turning up our marketing and sales efforts. We still intend to meet the goal."

Ural added 4 dealers since the beginning of the year including Big Twin Cycle Center in Boise, Idaho and Maxey Cycles in Oklahoma. With a goal of adding at least another ten dealers in key markets, Ural’s focus remains on growing retail sales and recruiting long-term partners for its national dealer network.

Last edited by rjg883c; 11-10-2013 at 12:14 AM.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:05 AM
Bart van der Meulen
Road Master
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by jakenok
This will be good for the motor company. They will sell lots of them in the Pacific rim countries, and if it leaps overseas to the US, I can see it doing well here also. Not everybody wants a big bagger....
Do they really, Jake? I doubt it, because of the following market sketch from me, living in the close vincinity of these countries:
First of all, you have to ask yourself: 'Who will buy these bikes"?
Considered that in the countries in South East Asia including India a motorbike is THE transport for poor and less poor people.
They start with a cheap second or even third or fourth hands Japanese 250cc.
Than they earn a little more money. What do you think these guys will buy?
A rather expensive Harley (with impressive maintenance costs at the dealers) or a bigger Jap, Yamaha or Honda? Which are dominating the market there already for decades.
Than the following question: When do they earn the money to effort themselves a Harley 500 or 750?
Answer: at the age that they can effort themselves a wife and starting family.
They buy earlier a small Indian car , second hand of new, than investing in a (rather expensive) Harley Davidson.
Again, they grow up and their income grew as well. They are able to buy easily a 500 or 750 as a luxury. What do you think they will buy?
Indeed, they continue saving to buy a Heritage Classic, a Road King or even a full equipped Electra Glide. Because these are the bikes overthere showing status and having money.
Simply said: the main objected group of clients in Asia will not be reached....
My prediction from very near these countries..

Old 11-10-2013, 05:15 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Drydock
Plenty of them in this thread!

Welcome to HDF from the UK. Take a look around the rest of HDF, there are richer pickings to be had!

Old 11-10-2013, 11:21 AM
agueybana
Road Master
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
Old 11-10-2013, 12:39 PM
esteboatan
Tourer
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

That video does show some nice progress for harley davidson.

Old 11-10-2013, 12:59 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,984 Likes on 17,897 Posts

Bottom line with this product is " Time will tell ............ " Lets take this conversation up a year down the road and see what's what .

Old 11-10-2013, 01:16 PM
Cisco726
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tnswitchback
Made in india or not, Harley-Davidson is still an American corporation, American owned and operated...and the money spent to buy them bnefiets Americans
You should watch the documentary "Death by China" and see if you still feel that way after.

Quick Reply: Official New Harley Models 500 and 700 Thread