General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: HOw do you feel about these new bikes
That's my kinda bike
18.14%
Not for me but i dig it
66.67%
Dumbest thing I've seen
7.11%
Destroy them all
8.09%
Voters: 408. You may not vote on this poll

Official New Harley Models 500 and 700 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 09:10 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Walter White
--------
Huh? Moco doesn't make huge profits on big twins?
Indeed! There is some complete and utter crap being posted on this subject in here.

Quoting from an Indian source, Business Line:

"Shipment from India

These bikes will form the entry level line-up for HD, in India and elsewhere, sitting below the Superlow line-up. The company will ship 7,000-10,000 Street 750 motorcycles from its Bawal facility, in Haryana, to Indian and European markets during the first year."

No mention of North America. From another Indian source, AEG India:

"Other place from where the bikes are manufactured is Kansas City that cater to the needs of North American market."

So that's clear then - FLTR08 is right!

Old 11-07-2013, 09:14 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,984 Likes on 17,897 Posts

Originally Posted by Walter White
----

I can appreciate your advice on fixing Harleys but what do you care about new ones? Aren't you one of the guys that won't ever buy a new Harley Davidson? So Moco isn't looking for your approval unless of course you have massive stock holdings.
Because I like older models doesn't mean the head's in the sand buddy . I've watched up close the transformation of the Moco from the struggling mom & pop shops to the multinational conglomerate it's turning into I am not a recent jap bike convert like so many in here beating their lips .

Seems you boys have issue with someone peeling the cheap veneer off the bullshit and calling things like they are and that's what the MoCo is selling now , the bikes are an ever increasing major portion ever cheaper imported parts & components and like it or not the whole India thing is a running experiment to see if out of country cheaper major component manufacturing can be slipped into the mainstream and how the buying demographic will react to it . I have no real issue with the bike itself there's definitely a market for it world wide . My issue is the whole " American Steel " illusion Harley is selling and the gullible buying as as fast they can get the credit approved , that's a lie period .

Old 11-07-2013, 09:22 AM
Blue Line
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Harley is known for its great resale value. My son will be able to ride in a few years, so I would much prefer buying a bike like this for him to learn, and when he is ready to step up to a big boy bike to trade it in, by this time I would take the advantage of the resale value, also he would be comfortable to the nomenclature of a Harley Davidson.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:23 AM
FLTR08
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Ok they are throwing out the mandatory buzz words that the press will use , nowhere have I heard the terms " manufactured in america " and that my friend is a whole different animal over just " Built here " . Maybe they will be at some point but myself will have to see some independent sources verifying before I buy the smoke screen , it's always about the bottom line and the MoCo just like any other global business is going to use the cheapest path to those profits .
That's your own narrow uninformed view of "bottom line" not the Motor Company. The entire marketing strategy of HD is to develop lifelong customers. Manufactured in the US is important to the Harley brand in America. Their bottom line is based completely on their image, without it they can't compete with the quality and technology of other brands for market share

Wether you choose to believe it or not the production facility exists now in Kansas City, Missouri. The dealers were there on Tuseday. The motorcycles are being manufactured there now. The reason they won't be out for sale sooner is because the first production runs will go to Rider's Edge Dealers to replace their fleets before it is in the showroom.

I don't understand what it is so complicated for some people to understand that Harley can actually have a factory in the US and another somewhere else? It isn't rocket science, thousands of companies do it.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:28 AM
FLTR08
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue Line
Harley is known for its great resale value. My son will be able to ride in a few years, so I would much prefer buying a bike like this for him to learn, and when he is ready to step up to a big boy bike to trade it in, by this time I would take the advantage of the resale value, also he would be comfortable to the nomenclature of a Harley Davidson.
I would also look for deals like HD did a few years ago with the Sportster. Buy a Street 500 keep it stock and trade it on a bigger model within a year for a guaranteed high trade value.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:36 AM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 383 Likes on 218 Posts

These new bikes will be manufactured in KC MO, but they will likely be "manufactured" with many parts that have been imported from other countries. I hope the engine/transmission along with other major components are made here, not just the frame and various brackets etc.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:43 AM
Walter White
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 51,728 Likes on 18,263 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Because I like older models doesn't mean the head's in the sand buddy . I've watched up close the transformation of the Moco from the struggling mom & pop shops to the multinational conglomerate it's turning into I am not a recent jap bike convert like so many in here beating their lips .

Seems you boys have issue with someone peeling the cheap veneer off the bullshit and calling things like they are and that's what the MoCo is selling now , the bikes are an ever increasing major portion ever cheaper imported parts & components and like it or not the whole India thing is a running experiment to see if out of country cheaper major component manufacturing can be slipped into the mainstream and how the buying demographic will react to it . I have no real issue with the bike itself there's definitely a market for it world wide . My issue is the whole " American Steel " illusion Harley is selling and the gullible buying as as fast they can get the credit approved , that's a lie period .
---
If you hate them now, why do you still live and promote the Harley Davidson lifestyle? You are the best sales pitch for the so called lie. Your contribution is that you will never ride anything but HD motorcycles, that loyalty example is great for new prospective buyers.

Sell your Harley and build up a custom all american parts bike and severe your link to the HD corporation. Delcare your freedom!

Who cares if people are Japanese convert as you call it? These buyers actually are more important to Moco than grumpy old men who will never purchase new again.

I do think you want any new Harley Davidson to fail or have foreign made parts so your older motorcycle is somehow better than the new ones and you can maintain your superiority. Certainly you don't expect for Moco to start building motorcycles for people who wouldn't buy them anyway?

Last edited by Walter White; 11-07-2013 at 09:49 AM.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:45 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Lightbulb

For some of us every iddy-biddy-diddy bit of a Harley is an import. Jus' sayin'

Old 11-07-2013, 10:00 AM
DM426
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 772 Likes on 369 Posts

I think part of what Twisted is getting at is that Harley laid off 25% of its American workforce in the last couple of years, but now it is building new plants in India and announcing new models to be built there. Now you can play up the "built in KC" angle as much as you want, but the fact of the matter is Harley is quickly morphing into just another global corporation, something very different than the iconic made-in-America brand that made it famous.

Presumably it is desirable to still have a few jobs left in this country so that people can actually afford to have a motorcycle. Or are we all to just work for Google and Facebook now and hope it all works out?

Harley-Davidson has spent the better part of 100 years hammering home the concept that it is a special, unique, American-made brand that is quite different than anything else out there. So of course people are going to have something to say about it when the company lays off a quarter of its workforce and starts building factories in India to produce bikes entirely dissimilar to anything it has done in the past. People commenting on that does not make them trolls or xenophobes.

Must we sacrifice every single shred of American culture on the alter of shareholder profits? And I say that as a committed capitalist.

Last edited by DM426; 11-07-2013 at 10:04 AM.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:10 AM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 556 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by DM426
Must we sacrifice every single shred of American culture on the alter of shareholder profits?
Apparently we do!

Quick Reply: Official New Harley Models 500 and 700 Thread