General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: HOw do you feel about these new bikes
That's my kinda bike
18.14%
Not for me but i dig it
66.67%
Dumbest thing I've seen
7.11%
Destroy them all
8.09%
Voters: 408. You may not vote on this poll

Official New Harley Models 500 and 700 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 06:51 AM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,027 Likes on 7,307 Posts

They look good to me!

As mentioned the price will be the key to success. I cannot see why they would not be VERY competitive being the components are made in the Asian rim.

Young people have always been turned off by the price of a Harley. My son being one. While he could afford a Sportster he got so much more for the money from the competition.

It's definitely a slippery slope. If this works the bean counters will probably start one component at a time making all the bikes offshore.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:00 AM
nauzerlvr
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Took these screen shots from one of the videos on HD's site.... I don't know about you, but I like it! Noting wrong with smaller displacement bikes in my opinion, and Haley needs something like these in their lineup. I think is shows that Harley is serious about competing with the other manufacturers and listens to customer feedback. Not everyone want a huge, fat VTwin Touring bike with 5 tons of storage space. I used these photos because they show the sport bike look that Harley has rejected since the removal of Buell....

Look out Mr Bolt!

Old 11-05-2013, 07:05 AM
CipoWins42
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These open up a whole new venue, college crowd, younger riders, local commuters and the road racing crowd. Hmmmm, may be time for a new set of leathers and an AMA license. Can't wait to ride one.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:05 AM
Tee&Vee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

it's a business. we, almost all, virtually all of us, in this forum support the moco thorugh t-shirts and coffe mugs for $25. that's it! We buy our parts from Ted or other local indies, we get our oils from AutoZone with coupons and we shake our heads with contempt at twinkie owners with $600/monthly payments for 48 months. these are the people that the moco sells new bikes and big ticket items to.
I am not 100% sure if these bikes will ever see the US streets. Is Asia and or Europe the target markets here?
Liquid cooled and shorter gear boxes for more urban driving, said commuting. It dont look like a long haul interstate assaulter.
I'll buy one in 10+ years and chop it up.

progress my friends, like it or hate but ha better learn to love it cuz thats the way it is.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:08 AM
CVORoadKing2013
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Start of things to come

Is this the beginning of full water cooled HD?

http://street.harley-davidson.com/?s...ent&camp_id=16

Old 11-05-2013, 07:12 AM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

What are the power specs? If it's something you can push more power out of tha a Sportster, then they'd be competition for one. The thing is, with it being a smaller displacement motor, it'll probably have to rev higher to compete. The radiator on the front is so/so imho. I like the clean front of the Sporty better.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:22 AM
Jester 08 Nightster
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nauzerlvr
Took these screen shots from one of the videos on HD's site.... I don't know about you, but I like it! Noting wrong with smaller displacement bikes in my opinion, and Haley needs something like these in their lineup. I think is shows that Harley is serious about competing with the other manufacturers and listens to customer feedback. Not everyone want a huge, fat VTwin Touring bike with 5 tons of storage space. I used these photos because they show the sport bike look that Harley has rejected since the removal of Buell....

Look out Mr Bolt!
Yep, I'd ride that. Infact, I'd probably ride the crap out of it as long as function follows form....

Old 11-05-2013, 07:28 AM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Sweet...........Id buy one.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:30 AM
prldrm
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's either an exceptionally smooth black finish on those two or they've gone the way of the imports and include a lot of plastic parts.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:33 AM
atlantaallen
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DivineDark
If this engine is going to be the blueprint for the new road king, and possibly the rest of the big twins down the line, I'm curious to see how the moco will handle the sound of the engine. Most of the harley owners will refer to the iconic sound of the bike. I don't see these engines, even with large displacement, sounding anywhere close to the harley of today. Just listen to the vrod. Personally, I love the sound of the bike, but it's not the typical harley sound.

I think harley would alienate a massive portion of their user base if hd motorcycles start sounding like your typical metric twin. That may be the wave of the future, but at that point I'm not sure there will be much left of harley motorcycles. Not easily worked on, completely different sound, and increased outsourcing to India. What's left for the hd enthusiast?
I'm not sure if anyone knows what the Harley sound is anymore. You have the sound of Pans Shovels, and Evos, but then you have the sound of the fuel injected Twin cams of today. The fuel injected Twin Cams don't sound like the earlier bikes.

I think the new bikes look like quality pieces.

Quick Reply: Official New Harley Models 500 and 700 Thread