General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buyers Premium on 2014 Ultra Limited

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 03:02 PM
Retired Guy
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Buyers Premium on 2014 Ultra Limited

I just bought (today) a 14 Ultra Limited for MSRP in North Texas.....I called two other dealers and one was selling at $1,500.00 over MSRP and another dealer was $3,000!!!!! over MSRP. It's a shame they feel the need to do this simply because the demand is currently higher than the supply, at least in this part of Texas.......Have you found it to be like this in other parts of the country?

Old 09-09-2013, 03:21 PM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,922 Likes on 3,290 Posts

While I feel your pain, It does warm the heart to think that HD has the ability to pull this off in today's economy.
It's all about supply and demand and you wanted a bike that's in high demand... thus you paid MSRP.

Next year you will be able to get $1000 off MSRP for the same bike but you wanted it now so enjoy the new scoot.

Congratulations

Old 09-09-2013, 03:40 PM
slhanks4
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

You said it yourself "demand is currently higher than the supply". As scarcity of goods increases, so does the price. That's basic Economics 101.

Old 09-09-2013, 04:57 PM
Wide_Open
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 149 Likes on 83 Posts

If you want the latest and greatest you have to pay the price. I would have looked for a good deal on a 2013 and used what I saved to improve it.
Anyway, enjoy your new bike and I hope you have many years of enjoyment from it.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:01 PM
XKnight
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Most dealers that do charge MSRP still add prep, freight, etc., so by the time you're done and add taxes your way above MSRP anyway. I've been fortunate to buy my last 3 bikes for right around MSRP out the door and that included the sales tax. A lot of it depends on how many dealers are in your area and how hard you're willing to negotiate. Also, if they are a high volume dealer they will be more willing to sell at below MSRP to make the deal.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:12 PM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by Retired Guy
I just bought (today) a 14 Ultra Limited for MSRP in North Texas.....I called two other dealers and one was selling at $1,500.00 over MSRP and another dealer was $3,000!!!!! over MSRP. It's a shame they feel the need to do this simply because the demand is currently higher than the supply, at least in this part of Texas.......Have you found it to be like this in other parts of the country?
Remember that this type of thing is always cyclical. When the first Challengers hit the floor they were selling for $10,000 over MSRP. Less than a year later they were being discounted by $5000-$7,000 off MSRP. I would not buy anything for one penny more than MSRP and if everyone followed suit, there would be no additional dealer markups. If that's all there was out there, I just flat wouldn't buy. I'd wait.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:19 PM
prostar
Club Member
Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

I think I know what stores you are talking about

Old 09-09-2013, 07:11 PM
cdestuck
Supporter
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts

My dealer is somewhat of a jerk and wont really ever come down from msrp (will knock off freight and prep at times) but on the other hand, even if its a scarce or premium model, h wont go higher than msrp.

Old 09-09-2013, 07:49 PM
MikeDCop
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I paid MSRP+tax/title/prep and 10% off accessories. I think I got more for my trade than they really wanted to give me for it because a friend who works there put in a good word with their buyer.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:10 PM
tnbillybob
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

When the new T-Birds came out every dealer got at least one. Being a small rural dealer, I only got one. A classmate of mine was also a Ford/Mercury dealer, and he called and offered me $10,000.00 over MSRP. Said he had sold his first one for $20,000.00 over list. It was hard to do, but I turned the offer down - we were on a "turn and earn" allocation system, and I needed to retail mine in order to earn another one. A former resident that lived in Nashville called a salesperson at my dealership that she had graduated with and offered him $5,000.00 over MSRP, which I accepted. A year later I couldn't give the darned things away. Demand diminished and Ford was trying to jam'em down our throats

Quick Reply: Buyers Premium on 2014 Ultra Limited