General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Group riding - need a good fact sheet

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013 | 05:34 PM
Geezer2
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Oldskewl
I only ride in formation with a couple old school brothers that i trust with my life and that's basically what your doing... trusting them with your life.

It's no game... I would crack the whip on their *** or not ride with them. period.
Couldn't have said it any better!!! Horse **** ridin in a group will get someone killed!!

Old 09-09-2013 | 05:36 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

You're never going to have a safe group riding experience with the folks you describe. No need to de-friend them; just meet them at the destination. You can't teach somebody something they think they already know.

They will eventually be taken to school by the laws of physics. You job is to not be there when it happens.

Old 09-09-2013 | 05:38 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member

Simple, they dont comply with group rules, they dont ride in group.

Old 09-09-2013 | 08:01 PM
truckerdave
senior experienced all-knowing leader of the unwise

I participate in "group rides" on a regular basis. I'm the Road Captain too. Sounds like those guys don't know how to ride a motorcycle to begin with. The reason you keep your place in the pack is so everyone will know where to get into position after gas stops and such. We took a 1300 mile ride recently, all 10 bikes stayed in the same place the whole trip without even thinking about it.

Old 09-09-2013 | 08:14 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member

Here's a couple of links from Minnesota's Patriot Guard web site. In six years, yes, we have had our share of incidents. All of which were probably preventable. Your group is only as safe as its worst rider. Once you realize that, you may never ride in a group again.

http://www.mnpatriotguard.org/safety...d%20Riding.htm

http://www.mnpatriotguard.org/safety...Guidelines.pdf

Old 09-09-2013 | 08:25 PM
Baird
Club Member

I ride with experienced riders mostly, who I know are not hot-******* it. we move around but with awareness. new riders must stay behind.
I don't like "rules".

Old 09-09-2013 | 08:27 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member

All the safety guidelines in the world, can't prevent the element of the human screwing up.

The best example I can give is this. On a Wednesday night supper group ride, with all experienced riders from different communites, we were leaving the supper club to go home. Heading north out of a town, the first several riders were going to turn east at a T-road crossing. The rest were going to continue north. At this t-road crossing, a car was stopped at the stop sign (facing west), to make a left turn. Because the first few riders were going to turn right, or east, they had their turn signals on. The driver of the car, seeing those turn signals, erroneously thought the entire group was turning, and pulled out directly in front of the riders who were going to continue straight, to make his left turn to the south.

Group riding is dangerous. The accepted "two second rule" is ridiculous. No matter how safe you think it is, there is still only ONE SECOND between riders. No matter how good of friends this group is, from what you described, you need to ask yourself if they are worth dying for.

Old 09-09-2013 | 08:34 PM
factorybuilt
Road Captain

I love riding with our friends and family. They all understand we are going to safe first! We have blast because we understand and rely on everyone to be safe. Placement is there for the captain to know and ensure no one is ever left behind, bike failure or rider issue.

If you don't respect the rest of the group. Don't ride in a group!

Pretty simple.

Old 09-09-2013 | 08:58 PM
simpkinst
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by siclmn
Your idea of what a group ride is all about would make me want to give up riding if I had to do it. So you ride all day, and you hold the same position in the group?
You are pretending that your in a military marching band? What fun is that? How could one learn to ride if all you are doing is following the person in front of you? It would be like driving in rush hour traffic all day. How could you ever learn to hit the next curve at a spirited pace and then accelerate out of it? The whole idea is to be free as a bird and do your own thing, have fun.
I agree with this. Not to sound like a smart ***, but who freakin cares?

I ride with others and its not a parade or pretend we have to stay in some sort of formation. Everyone knows the destination. We're all big boys. Someone gets stuck at a light or wants to cruise faster? No big deal. See ya when we get where ever we're going. Not sure how its safer in a parade formation.

Been doing this for twenty years. Somehow we've managed to make it unscathed.

Old 09-09-2013 | 09:21 PM
siclmn
Advanced

[QUOTE=We took a 1300 mile ride recently, all 10 bikes stayed in the same place the whole trip without even thinking about it.[/QUOTE]

Is this for real? 10 people stayed in the same position for 1300 miles? that is unbelievable.
I am bored to death just reading about it.
I can just hear one of you talking about your trip, "Hey Bob, how was the motorcycle trip, oh it was good, I followed Jim on his motorcycle for 1300 miles, and we never changed positions. I always saw him in front of me".
I am not trying to make fun of you, it's just that I don't get it. If you were the Blue Angles or in a military convoy then I would understand it.

Quick Reply: Group riding - need a good fact sheet