General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Group riding - need a good fact sheet

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013 | 11:10 AM
SBRob
Seasoned HDF Member

From reading your post, what good is a fact sheet if the riders refuse to comply with emails from the guy that leads the ride...it will be a waste of time...imho.

This is why I don't do ANY group rides.

Old 09-09-2013 | 11:16 AM
chris h.
Tourer

Originally Posted by siclmn
Your idea of what a group ride is all about would make me want to give up riding if I had to do it. So you ride all day, and you hold the same position in the group?
You are pretending that your in a military marching band? What fun is that? How could one learn to ride if all you are doing is following the person in front of you? It would be like driving in rush hour traffic all day. How could you ever learn to hit the next curve at a spirited pace and then accelerate out of it? The whole idea is to be free as a bird and do your own thing, have fun.
Agreed, this sounds really boring. I guess different people ride for different reasons.

Old 09-09-2013 | 11:30 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Since my club days, when we used to ride in a tight pack, I've realized now, that I don't want to ride in a group. I don't even like to have one rider behind me. I'm always checking to see where he is. I'd rather tell them, that I'll catch up with them down the road and go at my own speed.

Old 09-09-2013 | 11:41 AM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by siclmn
Your idea of what a group ride is all about would make me want to give up riding if I had to do it. So you ride all day, and you hold the same position in the group?
You are pretending that your in a military marching band? What fun is that? How could one learn to ride if all you are doing is following the person in front of you? It would be like driving in rush hour traffic all day. How could you ever learn to hit the next curve at a spirited pace and then accelerate out of it? The whole idea is to be free as a bird and do your own thing, have fun.
Riding in a group is not the time to learn how to ride. How are you ever going to keep riding if some noob is on your *** and accelerates hard in to a corner leaving them no time to brake when something runs out in front of you and you get taken out by an irresponsible rider who though it would be fun to try and show off while on a group ride?

Old 09-09-2013 | 11:51 AM
Perry um
Tourer

I ride in a small group of family and friends, who are all experienced riders and we often travel together. At least 2 times per year we take 4-5 day trips, however before each trip we all decide our postion in the pack and stay there, at least until the next stop.

Old 09-09-2013 | 12:00 PM
lizdc
Elite HDF Member

I have put over 40,000 miles on two bikes in less than 4 year. In that time I have gone on group rides or ridden with multi other bikes less than 10 times.
I got married about a year after starting riding and ride with hubby all the time.

I avoided group riding when I was learning and then when I tried it I didn't like it.
1 people take forever to leave
2. Most rides are short to the next stop and I want to ride
3. I love meeting up with people
4 . It isnt super safe for all the things mentioned before

To OP. If the road capiton has been emailing people explaining and asking to change behavior and they haven't (is that correct) then you are dealing with something other than lack of knowledge.
I think you need to decide if you are ok riding with them. Maybe you should start having everyone meet at the lunch stops or hanging out with them but maybe not riding long rides with them. Or you might need to be ok with it cause it sounds like they have zero intentions of changing based on what you said.

Old 09-09-2013 | 12:46 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member

You wish to change the group. Either you ride with friends, brothers, or strangers. It is an individual decision. Friends are friends. Brothers are brothers. Strangers are strangers. I would donate a kidney to a friend. I would share my last whatever with a brother. I would help a stranger if the mood struck me. Too much discipline is boring. Some days the club rides tight. Some days the brothers ride loose and for fun. Your problem is that you don't know what group you ride with and why they don't respect your sandbox rules.

Old 09-09-2013 | 05:01 PM
Chunker
Road Warrior

I personally don't care for group rides that much but will occasionally go with the HOG chapter on a run. It's a loose staggered trail and we don't have the problems you describe. For your group I would suggest 2 different group ride. 1 for those that understand the rules, and one for those who want to ride solo around other people.

Old 09-09-2013 | 05:10 PM
AllenW
Elite HDF Member

Pretty hard to ride "As free as the wind" in a group, far different riding.

If you have riders that don't understand pack riding, don't ride with them.
I think you, or somebody in your group is going to get hurt or killed because of irresponsible/uneducated riders.

Be safe, sounds like some of them are not.

Al

Old 09-09-2013 | 05:30 PM
MikeBel
Stellar HDF Member

It's obvious you and some in the group are frustrated. I'll bet you're irritated even before the ride starts. Red flag right there; the ride you're looking forward to becomes a PITA right off the bat.

I get it; they're your friends and you don't want to offend them. BUT b/c of the situation 1) your enjoyment is way down and 2) your level of risk is way up.

Rather than trying to "fix" everyone's group riding skills (not going to happen), why not just make it a destination event, meaning just tell everyone where to end up and at what time. No group ride, just a fun get-together once you all show up. Everyone rides their own ride, as the saying goes.

I ride group w/ our HOG chapter sometimes b/c I like the folks and everyone is safety conscious. I've also ridden with just a bunch of guys and hated it. Lately I ride solo more n more. Go-ride-stop where n when I want; I really like that the best.

Quick Reply: Group riding - need a good fact sheet