General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Grease?????

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 07:20 AM
eddie57
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Grease?????

I hope you guys can help me out here. I have a 2012 Fatboy lo. Ever since I have had it (1 year and a half now) I notice when riding that an oil like substance is thrown back on my tank, heads, pants and horn cover. It is coming fron the lower portion of my steering neck. Have had it in three times for this issue. first time they told me because we were having extremely hot temps so was melting the grease. Second time all they told me was everything was within Harley specs, third time they tell me that this is normal for some bikes and that they see this all the time (wold have thought that they would have told me that on the first time)??? Have any of you guys heard of this or might possibley know what the problem is?? thanks in advance

Ed

Old 09-09-2013, 07:23 AM
vegashd
Banned

Cheap thin or watered down grease

Old 09-09-2013, 08:50 AM
tomt
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Get a rag and wipe the grease off the neck when ever it starts dripping. It will stop eventually. Don't use any solvent to wash it out.

Bikes were coming from the factory with not enough grease and the bearings were drying out. Now they put more then necessary to stop it from happening.

Bikes that come with a grease fitting there will be globs of grease at the top and bottom of the neck. Techs wipe it off, but when it gets warm the grease still comes out.

If you clean your bike it's just one more thing to inspect and clean.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:57 AM
Perry um
Tourer
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

I use a high temp grease, I don't see to have that issue. Might want to give that a try.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:08 AM
bwana1
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Ever notice that Dynas and Sportsters don't even have that grease fitting.

Pumping the neck full of grease is absolutely unnecessary. If it has been pumped full of grease all you can do is continue to wipe it off.

Bwana

Old 09-09-2013, 11:19 AM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 2,318 Likes on 1,445 Posts

I use NAPA high temp wheel bearing grease (for cars with disc brakes). It's much thicker than the OEM Harley grease. If you have to purge more than an ounce of the thin grease from your bike's steering neck, you'll have a mess on your hands. Good luck.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:35 AM
rideflhr
Road Captain
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I've been using the red Lucas grease.Works much better,I wipe it off when filling and no mess later.

Old 09-09-2013, 02:47 PM
eddie57
Intermediate
Default Steering grease

Thanks for all of your responses. I think you are all right. I will just have to keep wiping until it stops. Just a pain that I have to wipe that down all the time. Again appreciate your time and inputs. thanks

Ed

Old 09-09-2013, 03:06 PM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by eddie57
Thanks for all of your responses. I think you are all right. I will just have to keep wiping until it stops. Just a pain that I have to wipe that down all the time. Again appreciate your time and inputs. thanks

Ed
Use that wipe-down time to do a mini inspection. Keeps little problems from becoming big ones and its a good way to make use of that time which would otherwise seem like a "waste".

Old 09-09-2013, 04:50 PM
Chunker
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

I use Lucas red n tacky and fill the neck till I get red stuff out and all the cheap HD grease is expelled. Takes about 3/4 tube the first time. I wipe the excess, us a rag and "floss" it top and bottom just to get most of the excess up. I have never had a problem with the red n tacky running due to the heat and I live in South AL

Quick Reply: Steering Grease?????