General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two just died in Deltona

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 12:35 AM
mopardave
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Two just died in Deltona

Two bikes went head-on when one tried to pass an SUV. The news said the bikes were disintegrated.

Old 03-07-2007, 12:57 AM
Bluerose
Default RE: Two just died in Deltona

Ouch [:@]

Sorry for thier families...

Old 03-07-2007, 12:59 AM
Aces N Eights

O.K. I believe we should probably stop postinginformation like this. We all understand the risks we take when riding. Hearing this time after time is not doing any of us any good. If we look at it from a shear numbers perspective, we could post something like this almost every minute of every day. I vote enough is enough. If I have to read posts of this nature, I prefer to read about bikers who survived and are able to continue riding. I don't want to to sound heartlessbecause my thoughts and prayers go out to the families of those who made their final ride. I just don't think we should post each and every death that we hear aboutassociated with bike weeks, bike nights and bike rides, that's all.

Now someone is gonna ask if they were sports bike or cruisers I'm sure... It DON"T matter at this point. Most people still associate Bike Week with Harley and assume... perspective IS relatity to most.

07HC

Old 03-07-2007, 01:06 AM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

While I will agree that a person can only take only so much bad news in a day, it DOES give us ALL a slap in the face reminder, of just how quickly a moment of stupidty....our own, OR somebody elses , can result in disaster.

A good strong dose of reality from time to time is a good thing.

Old 03-07-2007, 01:11 AM
mopardave
Elite HDF Member

Good post 07 heritage.......I'm one who survived a deadly crash. You are right, perception is reality to people. I live down here and I would love to see everyone wake up and stop screwing around. I guess since my wifeand I are still recovering, it's a hot subject for me. You will notice something that this year and last year have in common, bikers killing bikers head-on while trying to pass a car or truck. This has to stop. The news people don't help the perception either. They put out a headline that reads 10 dead in 12 hours at bike week and that's what people see. In reality, that article had 2 people die on a motorcycle leaving Daytona on Sunday (I think they were about 30 minutes out). All the rest were in cars/trucks/SUV's.
P.S. you don't have to read it.

Old 03-07-2007, 01:14 AM
Dallastx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree. I don't know how or what happened. I do know my dad has been riding for 50 years and never even got a cut on a bike. What would happen if we posted everystupid car wreck? Accidents happen. My2. I'm always sorry when someone gets killed on a bike. It just gets frustraiting when a post is like;" See? bikers are idiots!".

Jeeze!

Old 03-07-2007, 01:22 AM
Aces N Eights

ORIGINAL: New2Harley

While I will agree that a person can only take only so much bad news in a day, it DOES give us ALL a slap in the face reminder, of just how quickly a moment of stupidty....our own, OR somebody elses , can result in disaster.

A good strong dose of reality from time to time is a good thing.
Nice blue line signature BTW..

While I agree with what you are saying I just can't see the benefit of posting this info time after time. We all realize and accept the risk when weget on a bike and the starke sense of reality that hitsus whenwe ride off and realize, thereare no seatbelts to fasten, no air bags and no doors.
Hearing news like this doesn't hit me any clearer than the lack of sheet metal andrestraint deviceswhen I hit second gear (nor would I prefer to be strapped to scrap metal sliding down the rode either). I have been there, seen it and have had to clean it up too many times and therefore, have a true respect for the risks involved when riding but, have always andwill always choose to take the risks knowing...

07HC

Old 03-07-2007, 01:25 AM
Dallastx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Amen.

Old 03-07-2007, 01:46 AM
mopardave
Elite HDF Member

I don't believe that everyone is aware of the risks. If they were they might take a little more care when they are riding and/or driving.
Earlier I wasn't talking about the above posted article specifically. It was another one that included the same couple that died on their way home (tire came apart).

Old 03-07-2007, 02:13 AM
Aces N Eights

Mopardave,

I am not targeting you specifically. I logged on tonight and I saw three posts regarding the deaths of several people during Bike Week in Daytona (or associated with the event). In fact, I responded to one regarding the musicain and his wife andI feel for the family.I ask you not take my replies negatively as I feel you may not have been aware of the previous posts as they came in almost one behind the other as yours did. I chose yours to respond to in this manner as it was on the top of the list.I appreciate you sending the message and did not intend to create any hostility. My message was I feel we are all aware of the danger we face every day we raise the kickstand and willingly do so. The reminders are always present, especially with the slant the mediagives to storiesthey call"Breaking News" of this nature. I hate the media for distorting the truthand making anyone who rides seem"dangerous" and "reckless"and faulting themfor their own deaths. Some do contribute but I feel confident the vast majority DO NOT. as for driving, those of us who ride especially look for bikers as we know better than most the dangers associated. No harm, No foul here. lets get back to the point at hand; your original post. I DO feel for the surviving family members, especially the children left behind. My thoughts and prayer are with them during this time.

07HC

Quick Reply: Two just died in Deltona