General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heated Vest

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 02:09 AM
chris h.
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 09-10-2013, 02:23 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,213 Likes on 2,449 Posts

I have gotten a Gerbing heated jacket liner. No more layering for me. I may be getting soft...but I should have gotten one years ago. Toasty warm, even down in the high 20's.

Wife got one too...she used to never ride if it was below 60*, now she'll ride in any weather!

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 09-10-2013, 02:32 AM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffreydsilver
IMHO - Don't waste your money on a vest, instead go for a heated jacket/liner. It'll keep your entire upper body warm AND will provide the wiring needed to plug heated gloves into. Get a dual controller so that you don't have to run the system either full on or off all the time. Gerbings and Harley are one in the same. This is what I run and it works great.
Could not have said it better.

Old 09-11-2013, 04:53 PM
macafly
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Santa brought me the HD (Gerbings) heated coat and the battery pack last Christmas. I charged up the battery and read the directions and discovered the lithium battery (big and bulky) only lasts 1 hour on the high setting and 1 1/2 hours on the medium one. Emerald City HD in Lynnwood, WA. did me right by exchanging the battery for the variable temp. thermostat and gave me full credit minus $10 because I destroyed the packaging. Bought the matching battery pigtail, so it's plug in and go. I'll ride down to 40 degrees now. Heated clothing is a marvelous invention and one of the best investments for your riding fun. If you're only going to buy one item, go with the coat. I may add the gloves, but they are spendy.

Old 09-11-2013, 05:31 PM
Jamz
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 09-11-2013, 05:32 PM
BorrachoMidget
Supporter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain Itch
Here is a neat little gadget panel that we make for the controller..
I bought the Captain's Magnetic Tank Panel to run the Gerbings dual controller for my jacket liner and gloves. I liked the setup so much I ordered another panel along with the jacket liner and gloves for my wife, who's riding her own. Keep your tank clean to avoid scratches.

I'd suggest shopping around for the heated gear. IIRC, the prices are virtually the same, but the items tend to end up back-ordered as the temperatures drop. I ordered directly from Gerbings website (old website - their revamped site does not look like they are taking direct online orders anymore), after a month cancelled the order, and had it in a week through Revzilla. JPCycle had the gear in stock when I ordered for the wife.

Old 09-11-2013, 05:39 PM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Get The Gadget Panel!

Originally Posted by Captain Itch
Here is a neat little gadget panel that we make for the controller..
IMHO - This is a must!

Old 09-11-2013, 07:00 PM
keith_stepp
Banned
Received 1,505 Likes on 1,077 Posts

Don't know how right this, but if you look at the HD parts, the battery tender pigtail only has a 7.5 amp fuse and the Gerbing jacket liner pulls 6.5 amps, which does not leave enough to use anything else. The vest on the other hand only pulls 4.5 and when combined with the glove liners only adds up to 6.7 amps.

I'm going to buy some heated gear for this season for myself and my wife who rides as a passenger. So, be sure and give some thought to not just the controllers, but also to how you plan on powering your gear, how many amps they will pull and what you load capacity is.

Odds are, I will have to add a second pigtail just for my wife.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:11 PM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 616 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by keith_stepp
Don't know how right this, but if you look at the HD parts, the battery tender pigtail only has a 7.5 amp fuse and the Gerbing jacket liner pulls 6.5 amps, which does not leave enough to use anything else. The vest on the other hand only pulls 4.5 and when combined with the glove liners only adds up to 6.7 amps.

I'm going to buy some heated gear for this season for myself and my wife who rides as a passenger. So, be sure and give some thought to not just the controllers, but also to how you plan on powering your gear, how many amps they will pull and what you load capacity is.

Odds are, I will have to add a second pigtail just for my wife.
Wire it directly to the battery and you should not have a problem..Just make sure that you use an inline fuse.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:13 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,161 Likes on 6,705 Posts

Wife has the heated vest. Last time I checked, the sweater puppies were so nice and warm, I shoved my whole face in there.

Quick Reply: Heated Vest