General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ashamed to say

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 11:10 AM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Ashamed to say

Geez, I'm ashamed to say I have only put 6400 miles on my Street Glide this summer. I just realized how little while recording the mileage after changing the oil. I have had no vacation this year so I could not take any of my normal road trips, and I have been working "on call rotation" 7 days a week every other week so far this year because we are so short handed. All of my mileage has come from commuting after a late start to the summer here and in between a summer of almost constant rain. Woke the other morning to 20F and a hard frost so I know its almost at an end and it doesn't even seem like it ever really started for me this year! How bout you others? Good or bad year for some mileage?

Old 09-08-2013, 11:17 AM
I'maHugger
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been similar for us in Norsota; hope the winter is "lite" to make up for that, but I know better.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:19 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts

Nothing to be ashamed about! If you enjoyed what time you had on the bike, that is what it's all about. Between weather and work I haven't been riding as much as I would like also. The wife and I are going to take a scoot this afternoon when I get home from work. Take it when you can get it.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:35 AM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffreydsilver
Nothing to be ashamed about! If you enjoyed what time you had on the bike, that is what it's all about. Between weather and work I haven't been riding as much as I would like also. The wife and I are going to take a scoot this afternoon when I get home from work. Take it when you can get it.
I guess ashamed isn't the right word....Disappointed! lol

Old 09-08-2013, 11:52 AM
Ragnar
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Disappointing (a better word) for a LOT of people I know.

Same deal here - winter lasted a lot longer and things were a lot wetter than last year. Work schedule fluctuating, lots of overtime, and no vacation. Most of the miles that have been racked up have been in 30 mile or less utility trips, like back and forth to work or small grocery run stuff, than actually out and riding simply for the enjoyment of it.

Trying like hell to make up for it, but it's probable that Mother Nature is going to shut the door on the riding season earlier than last year. We'll have to make up for it by doing that mod we've been wanting to do, or putting in a little extra time detailing the bike or digging a little deeper into the off-season service. Hopefully we'll have a better season next year, and we can burn off an additional tire or two.

Old 09-08-2013, 12:04 PM
Panchorelly
Road Warrior
Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Ride when you can , and enjoy it! It's not a contest

Old 09-08-2013, 12:40 PM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

No one should be ashamed of their odometer.

Its not a contest.

Old 09-08-2013, 12:49 PM
XKnight
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Not sure why you would be ashamed about how many miles you did or didn't put on the bike, but to each his own. It's not supposed to be a contest.

Old 09-08-2013, 12:50 PM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by parabellum_9x19
No one should be ashamed of their odometer.

Its not a contest.
Yes it is.....apparently.

I actually interpret the point of this thread as a venue for the OP to brag about how many miles he normally does. I probably did about the same amount of miles but they were in my RV, both cars and both bikes.

Old 09-08-2013, 12:52 PM
monkeyboy22
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 836 Likes on 406 Posts

Every fall I think the same thing. Not necessarily about the lack of mileage but more like lost opportunities. Then I start looking back on the rides I did make and it turns out it really isn't all that I think it is. Maybe the impending doom of winter gets me thinking about how much I'm not going to be able to ride for the next few months.

Quick Reply: Ashamed to say