General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ashamed to say

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 10:51 PM
Dake
Club Member
Received 1,039 Likes on 1,031 Posts

I don't keep tabs on how far I ride each season. But this year it has rained every day I was off work it seems.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:28 AM
Rodzilla6
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

You did a lot more miles than many folks do...I did great so far this year...June - Atlanticade Bike Rally in PEI, Canada (great time 2 years straight!), Laconia for the week, then Lake George and Lake Placid for the week (great riding in the adirondack mountains!!! long sweeping curves...), just got back from visiting my brother in Connecticutt yesterday and heading back up to Lake George at the end of September!!!! GREAT summer, BUT did get rained on a couple of times...LOL. My fantastic non riding wife told me not to plan as many trips for next year...LOL, jokes on her...MORE next year!!! Ride safe.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:42 AM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by dribble
Yes it is.....apparently.

I actually interpret the point of this thread as a venue for the OP to brag about how many miles he normally does. I probably did about the same amount of miles but they were in my RV, both cars and both bikes.
Geez,
Seems that someone always wants to state that someone, in this case me, has an ulterior motive. I was simply making the statement that it has been a bad year for riding and putting on any type of decent mileage....thought others may be in the same place this year? Could give a rat about bragging...too old to give a sheit about that type of thing...lol

Old 09-09-2013, 07:47 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,547 Likes on 6,276 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickr01
Geez,
Seems that someone always wants to state that someone, in this case me, has an ulterior motive. I was simply making the statement that it has been a bad year for riding and putting on any type of decent mileage....thought others may be in the same place this year? Could give a rat about bragging...too old to give a sheit about that type of thing...lol
I do keep track of my mileage. Not for competition or bragging, but kind of cherishing a precious resource, and rating years in my head. Like I will always think of 2012 as probably the longest riding season ever, and 2013 the shortest.

I do think many people brag about their miles, but of course some have less responsibilities. A young Dad isn't going to be able to put the miles on that a single retired guy could.

I would rather ride 250 miles on 2 lane and stop and see the sights then do 600 miles, screaming along on interstates, at 80, where every state looks the same.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:29 AM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron750
I do keep track of my mileage. Not for competition or bragging, but kind of cherishing a precious resource, and rating years in my head. Like I will always think of 2012 as probably the longest riding season ever, and 2013 the shortest.

I do think many people brag about their miles, but of course some have less responsibilities. A young Dad isn't going to be able to put the miles on that a single retired guy could.

I would rather ride 250 miles on 2 lane and stop and see the sights then do 600 miles, screaming along on interstates, at 80, where every state looks the same.
Exactly!

Old 09-09-2013, 10:02 AM
zion
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Right there with 'ya. This has been the "Summer of Suck 2013", between odd work schedule, weather being hit or miss in a Murphy's law kind of way, currently rehabbing from elbow surgery...blah, blah, blah. Not only haven't ridden much (other than commuting on and off), my boat's been out of commision all summer....hell haven't hit the beach (and I am/was an avid surfer).

Summer of SucK I tell 'ya!!! It's a conspirancy, I can deduce this as to all of the similar posts above!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
However, as stated above.... it's not a contest... but, I get you. Counting the miles is a way of solidifying the experience in some way. Don't worry though, it's all cyclical. Just enjoy the moments you do get.

Old 09-09-2013, 02:31 PM
ringofld
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2013 is the first bike I have had that has a spedo and mileage.
Gotta work to pay bills.
Ain't got no handyman
Ain't got no maid
Ain't got no expectations.

I try and enjoy riding for my "therapy" time. Ain't concerned if I measure up to other's expectations.

Old 09-09-2013, 02:48 PM
Benway
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I have less mileage than last year mainly because of the shitty summer we've had. Every day threat of thunderstorms right when I get off work for my 40 min ride home. That **** get's old, so I tend to just drive the car those days and enjoy the bike that much more when I do ride it.

Old 09-09-2013, 03:28 PM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickr01
Geez,
I'm sure you already know that 6,400 miles by anyone in a three or four month period is a lot. More so than probably 90% of riders (including myself) do. So when analyzing the thread I noted two things. One that you're "ashamed" but more notably that that you were ashamed of having ridden quite a large number of miles. I've done maybe 4K all year and I am not proud, ashamed nor disappointed. Like others have stated, it's not a contest.

That said, if I misinterpreted the point of the thread, I apologize.

Last edited by dribble; 09-09-2013 at 06:36 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:16 PM
txphatboy
Road Warrior
Received 322 Likes on 182 Posts

Hell, I'm jealous of all of you. I was in a wreck in March and bike was supposed to be fixed in 5 - 6 weeks, and I am still waiting on it! Insurance company paid shop directly without my having to co-sign, and they cashed check on week 1. I have been calling shop constantly and driving to see progress (shop is about 60 miles away). Things got complicated because the shop bought a few parts and so did I, and insurance would not commit to cutting me a second check if I picked bike up and took it home to repair myself. It is supposed to finally get done this week! Repairs were not major and I learned I will never take bike to shop for this type work again, but I was hurting the day of the accident (split elbows open) and floor boards, foot brake, and levers were broken, so I thought why not let insurance take care of it and pay the shop to fix it. I wish I had half the miles you had this year!

Quick Reply: Ashamed to say