General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet quiet turned to the side, loud facing forward

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 10:16 AM
Prot
Club Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 15,815 Likes on 6,704 Posts
Default Helmet quiet turned to the side, loud facing forward

I have been riding since 1988. I have always wore full face helmets until about four years ago when I switched over to half helmet with goggles.

I really like the half helmet but there is one problem: wind noise. It's not from the helmet itself. It's from the straps that come down near my ears.

Interestingly enough, if I turn my head slightly to one side or the other, the noise completely stops. It's only when I am facing directly forward that I get this ridiculously loud noise.

I don't wear ear plugs because I like being able to hear what is going on with my bike, and notice a small problem before it becomes a big problem.

The helmet I am wearing was purchased at the hd dealer. It's a Fulmer AF-81.

Are there quieter half helmets? Again, the noise is from the straps near my ears as the wind passes by them.

You guys have any suggestions?

Old 09-07-2013, 10:22 AM
Inop
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 683 Likes on 293 Posts

Ear plugs, I dont like them either but you have to sacrifice.

Old 09-07-2013, 10:31 AM
exemexer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The right kind of ear plugs (memory foam) will minimize the harshness of the noise but still allow you to hear what you need to hear. I learned this working in a printing plant for over 30 yrs. They're designed for working in high-noise environments where you need to able to hear speach, verbally communicate without having to raise your voice much. Hence they are great for riding. Been using them for almost 5 years now - got used to them quickly & would never ride without them.

Old 09-07-2013, 10:35 AM
oneballz
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ear plugs and you will get used to them after a few rides.

Most smart phones have a decibel app.
Download one and see how high the noise is and you realize how important plugs are.

Old 09-07-2013, 10:36 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Unless your riding with a windshield I don't think you are going to find any 1/2 helmets that are quiet.

Old 09-07-2013, 11:23 AM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,632 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Might be your exposed ears; I experience the same thing if I ride bare headed, wind roar straight ahead, lot quieter head turned a little to the side. I have a half pot without ear flaps, one with; wind roar seems about the same with both. I rarely ride helmetless any more, and only wear my half pot around town, use my 3/4 on warm short trips, ff for anything over an hour - it's a lot quieter. Something else that increases the noise, especially on the ff, is my glasses; just that little bit of padding distortion they make is enough to let some noise come through. Not much I can do about that, my 66 year old eyes are kinda blurry without them. I don't like ear plugs either, but sure appreciated them when I rode a bike 400 miles home with straight pipes that I'd just bought - that exhaust just crackled in my ears, almost painful. It didn't stay on long...

Last edited by Imold; 09-07-2013 at 11:26 AM.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:18 PM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 250 Likes on 146 Posts

That's normal with any half helmet or no helmet. If you turn your head you can hear better because the ear facing the back of the bike isn't get wind blown at it.

I wear ear plugs about 75% of the time. The ones I use have a filter that can be opened or closed. When open you can still hear things you need to hear but still protect your ears.

Old 09-07-2013, 12:33 PM
kokemill
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Even with a windshield

Originally Posted by ynots
Unless your riding with a windshield I don't think you are going to find any 1/2 helmets that are quiet.
I get wind noise with a half helmet even with a windshield. I always thought it was due to wearing glasses and the temples keeping the straps from lying flat.

Old 09-07-2013, 04:10 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

I get wind noise with a 3/4 and a face shield! I didn't think I would but I was wrong.

After getting really tired of it, I tried memory foam ear plugs but they seemed to slide out enought after awhile to let enough noise in. Then I got some "shooters" plugs and they work! I have to wiggle them in place but I can't even hear people talking to me, just a few feet away.

Old 09-07-2013, 04:13 PM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 17,079 Likes on 8,673 Posts

Originally Posted by oneballz
Ear plugs and you will get used to them after a few rides.

Most smart phones have a decibel app.
Download one and see how high the noise is and you realize how important plugs are.
I like black and chrome also. That`s what my `09 Superglide has.

Quick Reply: Helmet quiet turned to the side, loud facing forward