General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can Jiffy Stand Be Locked Withoout Weight On It?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 03:16 AM
jgbrown54
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can Jiffy Stand Be Locked Withoout Weight On It?

I watched with interest some videos on YouTube about how to pick up a dropped bike. They were very informative and showed the proper leverage needed to lift a bike without hurting yourself. This can be difficult especially after riding for several hours (Been there. Done that.) It's interresting that they always showed how to lift it from it's right hand side. One of the things they stress is to put the stand down before lifting it so as it gets upright it can lean on the stand. On my Sportster the Jiffy Stand will fold up unless it has the weight of the bike on it. So how can I fold the stand down and lock it into position while I right the bike? Granted I can stand it up and balance it but then I have to somehow get to the other side of the bike to put the stand down.

Old 09-04-2013, 04:36 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

On my Dyna and Sportser the stand will stay down when fully extended. It takes very little to make it snap up, but it will stay down. I've sat on plenty of bikes at the dealer over the years and all those stands stayed down too when I straightened up the bikes. Maybe your spring is extra tight?

Old 09-04-2013, 05:06 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,066 Likes on 2,501 Posts

It'll stay down provided the bike doesn't roll forward any when the jiffy stand first touches down. Now the sidestand on older Ducatis? As soon as you lifted the bike off the sidestand, the spring snapped the stand in the up position. Many Duc riders of the time dropped their bikes thinking the sidestand was still down once they lifted the bike.

That was Ducati's way of getting around a sidestand interlock switch. Cause they weren't known for electrics back then;-)