General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Bike Week fatality...

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 10:57 AM
dmize
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Another Bike Week fatality...

wtf is rear tire seperation? the tire came off the rim? or the rim came off the bike? man thats just terrible... and same here, my wife doesnt ride with me very much because we dont want to orphan our 2 boys.

Old 03-06-2007, 10:58 AM
85FXWG
Outstanding HDF Member

Here is a picture of Johnny from last year.......RIP

Old 03-06-2007, 11:03 AM
85FXWG
Outstanding HDF Member

The tire split right down the middle......made two tires from one. I just replaced my rear that had 13,000 on it. I thought about pushing it to 15,000, I'm glad I changed it after reading Johnny went down with a split tire.....Spring is coming pretty soon for you Northern bikers, check your ties and get them replaced!

Old 03-06-2007, 11:06 AM
Eyespy
Road Warrior
Location: Southern California High Desert, here and there....
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Terrible news. Very sorry to hear this.

Old 03-06-2007, 12:25 PM
TampaJim
Road Master

When I first heard this , I thought "spoke wheels-tubed tires" , but the bike they showed on TV had cast wheels (tubeless). Since tubeless tires rarely blow, I'm thinking he had a slow leaking puncture or valve leak in the tire and then took it up to speed fully loaded. A low inflated tubeless tire will heat up and separate from the rim. This can happen with a new tire.

It's a real pain to check rear tire air pressure on a bagger, but ya gotta do it!!

On another site I frequent, some suggestions were : rap the tires with a small bat like the truck drivers do--any sound difference is an indication , and feel the tires when you stop for gas--if one is hotter , check it out,

Old 03-06-2007, 01:03 PM
Gerard
Road Master

2 more senseless motorcycle deaths...it's a shame. I'm sure they were both helmetless which is a death wish in itself. A high price to pay just to look cool.

Old 03-06-2007, 01:10 PM
AirSki
Advanced

ORIGINAL: Gerard

2 more senseless motorcycle deaths...it's a shame. I'm sure they were both helmetless which is a death wish in itself. A high price to pay just to look cool.
[/align]Damn Straight! I don't give a crap about the coolness factor, I love my wife and kids and I know that wearing a helmet gives me a lot better chance if I wreck![/align]

Old 03-06-2007, 01:37 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Very sad, A reminder to us all, your life and others ride with you, keep your bike in top shape, dont try and use up every part to save a buck. I change tires when the tread gets low, far from worn out, just to be safe.

Old 03-06-2007, 02:05 PM
fmbeach
Tourer

Traffic on I-4 is very erratic this time of year. Especially with theamusement park traffic on the West side of Orlando. Very normal to go from above the speed limit (keeping up with traffic) to a stop very quickly with little or no warning. I agree with the death wish part especially this time of year in FLA on any of the city sections ofinterstates 75, 10, 95 or 4.

We saw thousandsof bikes on our return to Sarasota from Daytona just after 2 PM on Sunday. Very few were onthe interstate without helmets. Lots of riders coming into Daytona were taking helmets off when they hit town and were running through the event. (we rode with 1/2 helmets full-time)

At 70-80 MPH, the a normal inside lane speed on I-4, I would guess that a crash would likely not be survivalble with or without a helmet.

Old 03-06-2007, 02:46 PM
hughtwg
Tourer

ORIGINAL: dmize

wtf is rear tire seperation? the tire came off the rim? or the rim came off the bike? man thats just terrible... and same here, my wife doesnt ride with me very much because we dont want to orphan our 2 boys.
I would guess the tire delaminated. The rubber started peeling off of the cord. I've had this happen on retreads I had bought for my car many years ago.

-Hugh

Quick Reply: Another Bike Week fatality...