General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another GPS Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 10:22 AM
DeeRides
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts

I also have a Zumo 660 and love it. But I do prefer to chart my routes on the computer so I can see where I'm going and get that 'picture' in my head first. For my last trip I discovered Tyre from someone here. I think it was originally written for TomToms but it has expanded to Garmins. I was thrilled to find it because I hate Garmin's Basecamp. And every other route planning program I tried took a PHD to figure out how to get that map onto the 660.

Downloading one of your custom routes from Tyre is as easy as hitting the button! Being used to Google Maps it was a little tedious to figure out but once you get started, it goes pretty quick. Give them a try... http://www.tyretotravel.com/

Old 09-01-2013, 10:37 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 300 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by skootchnc
Any Garmin... as well as TOM-TOM, will allow you to sit at a computer, and create a route.
Tom-Tom uses something called tyre? or whatever.. and is supposped to be pretty good.
Garmin uses "Basecamp" go online to Garmin, and download it.
You will need to have your GPS hooked to the computer, the first time you use it, or you won't get much in detail.
select new then route, and you're on your way.
loading the route to the GPS is easy enough....once loaded, you will need to import frm the GPS files, to the routes folder... but it's pretty quick, and easy.
I don't think so.
The pic below is from the Tech Specs from a Garmin Nuvi 52, a lower end ($129) automotive GPS.

While you may be able to push some waypoints to the GPS, the unit does not have the ability to save route plans.

Last edited by cHarley; 09-01-2013 at 10:40 AM.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:09 AM
Markk9
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Using a Garmim or TomTom that is capable of having a route added, I use a program called Tyre (http://www.tyretotravel.com/). The program using google maps as it's base, make your route, and send it to your GPS in the proper format, and away you go.

Old 09-01-2013, 02:13 PM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

I do exactly that with the Garmin Nuvi 550 and it's waterproof. I plan my routes at home using Mapsource and upload it into the GPS. On bigger trips I carry a laptop so I can re-route anytime. I also upload any points of interest (POI) that I want to see.

Old 09-01-2013, 03:58 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 818 Likes on 621 Posts

My Garmin Nuvi 2555 will not follow created routes exactly even though it does have routes capability in the specs.
If way points are not placed in HD ride planner like bread crumbs it will try to reroute to save time or distance.

Old 09-01-2013, 04:18 PM
rgb66
Club Member
Received 106 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Markk9
Using a Garmim or TomTom that is capable of having a route added, I use a program called Tyre (http://www.tyretotravel.com/). The program using google maps as it's base, make your route, and send it to your GPS in the proper format, and away you go.
Interesting program. It's a bit Windows and Netherlands centric for the advanced features but cool anyway (I use linux, mac and IOS )

Old 09-01-2013, 05:24 PM
Ultra-Rick
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

When I got my Zumo 550 it came with software called Map Source. I use it to create my own routes on the computer and upload hem to the GPS. Map Source is easy to use and upload routes to.

Old 09-01-2013, 05:44 PM
user_1534GD
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Danall
Is there a GPS available that I can select the routes I want to take not the routes the GPS wants me to take and then lead me there via my selected roads?

This would allow me to sit at home and select the back roads I want to take and end up at the same destination the GPS would have taken me.
ANOTHER GPS ANSWER...

The Garmin RoadTech Zumo 350L/660/665/550 are made specifically for motorcycles and have been the de-facto standard for years... They each come with 2 software programs, MapSource and BaseCamp, that will let you create intricate/long/multiple routes with generous way/via-points-of-interest... I use MapSource primarily for creating routes and BaseCamp for re/organizing the files/folders on the memory/SD card...

Some of the 'tricks' that seem to work best for me (especially with complicated/long-xc routes that may contain 'Loops' and lots of Way/Points-Of-Interest) is to create/update a 'Master List' of WayPoints/POI in a separate file/folder and/or do NOT directly connect the WayPoints with the route (keep them off to the side of the route/in the vicinity, NOT directly overlapping/not directly connected to the planned/desired route)... Create your routes using only 'Via Points'... Also, don't completely 'close' a 'Loop' especially if it is a loop on a route with multiple loops... If you get off the planned route the GPS will ask if you want to 'recalculate' and I usually say NO (if the planned route is no longer visible on the screen, change the scale until it is visible, so you can discern the necessary distance/direction to proceed/re-connect)...

Garmin gives excellent customer service...

Among many other nifty/powerful features, the Garmin software programs have a 'View in Google Earth' button that seamlessly allows you to see all/any portion of your planned route in 2/3D 'street view'... This is handy for instance to confirm pavement vs dirt and things like tree canopy when you are REALLY tweaking the 'back roads' or otherwise finessing a 'special tour route'...

If YOU have never used a GPS there will be a learning-curve but nothing insurmountable...

YOU may find substitutes but YOU won't find anything better...

Regarding the claims that Zumo is more expensive I know from experience, YOU are going to pay one way or other and when YOU compare quality/service/technology/results, Zumo FAR exceeds... If YOU are SERIOUS about custom touring, YOU/customers will appreciate/rely on... And in the long-run, success with the Zumo genre is less cost/higher satisfaction/better bang-for-the-buck... And BTW/FYI, I have THE latest Android 'Jelly Bean' iOS ver 4.2.2 with all the latest Navigation Apps available and choose/use the Zumo...

Good luck...

Last edited by user_1534GD; 09-02-2013 at 06:43 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 02:14 PM
elPrez
Stellar HDF Member
Received 480 Likes on 330 Posts

Downloaded tyretotravel and it looks pretty good BUT I set a route and try to drag the suggested route to roads I know I want to take...it moves the line until I release the mouse button then it snaps back to what they suggested??? Any help???

Old 09-02-2013, 04:09 PM
dools103
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a Garmin Zumo 220 made for MC's can make your own route with included Mapsource, not expensive compared to the 660 and works great, nice size screen and once you get used to it you don't need to Bluetooth it just glance at the screen you know what it is showing you

Quick Reply: Another GPS Question