General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

do you have a 1-dealership loyalty?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2013 | 09:12 PM
DeeRides
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Killer Squirrel
I would love to give all my business to the dealer I bought my bike from as they really treated me great - Cowboy HD in Beaumont. However, it is an hour away even though I have 5 others closer to me. I go to a particular one for my parts and service, Stubbs HD, they have been really cool as well. Unfortunately the closest one, San Jacinto HD, always gives me a bad feeling when I walk in, everyone there has an attitude that they are doing me a favor by letting me walk in and shop at their dealership, so I avoid that one unless I am desperate for a quick part.
I bought my bike from San Jacinto HD. The sales people have always treated me OK but I mostly need parts and such now. Their parts counter staff couldn't care less if you're there or not. Agree about Stubbs, they're the best of the 'close' dealers. My favorite shop in the Houston area for variety of bikes is Republic in Stafford. If you want to see bikes, that's the place to go. Their parts dept. is knowledgeable and polite. Haven't had a need for their service dept. Funny...all three of those dealers are owned by the same guy/family yet each one is SO different from the others. My favorite shop of them all is Goe Harley in Angleton. It's about an hour from my house but worth the drive. It's the smallest of the shops mentioned but I like it. The parts staff is glad to see you, knows their job and offers ideas and options without being pushy. When I order something, they offer ship it free to my house, because of the drive for me, and they do it with a genuine smile.

To answer the OP's question...No, I don't feel any loyalty to any of them. I go to the one that has what I need or is willing to order it in a timely fashion with no problems.

Last edited by DeeRides; 08-29-2013 at 09:18 PM.
Old 08-29-2013 | 09:16 PM
AlwaysHD
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"do you have a 1-dealership loyalty?"

Not in the least.
Assuming I'm getting the same thing, I always go wherever the price is right.
Money talks.....and gets my business.

Old 08-29-2013 | 09:29 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

Yes!!!! They (all departments) have treated me well. Always get price consideration. Always greeted by my first name. If the coffee is out, someone will run and make more ( a couple of times it was the owner).

They treat everyone like that. I don't think that there is a better dealership in the U.S. The Reiman's were legendary in their time. Hank was a champion hill climber in has day. His son Rodger won the Dayton 200 three times in the 80's.

He was the tuner for Evel Knievel. Their small museum has many Knievel artifacts.

Family member still involved in the business. They are located in the middle of nowhere. Not even close to an interstate. Yet, they sell more bikes every year then the big city dealers do. Folks come from all over to trade.

Example of the service department. When the recalls on the voltage regulator and rear brake switch came about, the service writer called the same day that he received the computer list of VIN's involved and the owner. That is what dealers are supposed to do. The overwhelming majority never called and told owners that they were on the list.

Got each one done and only had to wait less the an hour each.

The only other dealer in my area is right off an interstate with the big fancy building. I tried every time to see what they would do and they never were close in price. Being nice I went and showed them each bike.

Last edited by lh4x4; 08-29-2013 at 09:39 PM.
Old 08-29-2013 | 09:44 PM
jmale1972
Road Master

Just like buying a car, if you do your research you go in knowing what you want to pay OTD. They know your shopping all the dealers so if they REALLY want to sell a bike they'll start out with a decent offer and you can counter back. If they start out talking stupid, just walk like I have a few times. For service I have never used a Dealer, always an Indy.....

Old 08-29-2013 | 10:13 PM
Litl D
Cruiser

I'm pretty loyal to my local dealer, Mountain Creek in Dalton, GA.

They got a new manager, Craig, a couple years ago, who has really built a great staff. Sales guys are pretty decent; Parts guys are knowledgeable, Marty the Service Manager runs a tight ship, everyone else has their respective acts together. They sponsor frequent events and do a great job of supporting the HOG chapter.

I've bought two bikes here, and they have no qualms about working on my wife's near vintage '97 Badboy - nice to know they have a couple guys in the shop still capable of working on the old EVOs, and even earlier bikes.

Sure, the prices are higher than they should be on branded stuff, but not out of line with anywhere else. These guys have been known to deal on things, routinely offer 15% off parts and clothes during sponsored events, and always give me a good Veteran's discount for anything I buy.

I've been known to buy a few things from one of the internet dealers, but usually only when it's not in stock locally. I'm trading an additional 5 to 10% off against the shipping time, so it's pretty much a wash for me. And, no, I'm not one to buy all the Harley trinkets - none of my leather, heated gear, or other "expensive" stuff is branded. I gave up on buying shirts from every dealer I run onto long ago, these days, I bring home a poker chip.

After hearing the dozens of other guys' stories about other dealers around the country, I'm damn glad I've got this one just over two miles from the house.

Old 08-29-2013 | 10:21 PM
SanJuanRon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 95 Posts

Absolutely NO! I use many different dealers and a couple Indy shops. SJ Ron

Old 08-29-2013 | 10:45 PM
big-e976
Cruiser

I ride 75 miles to the dealer i bought my bike from, even though i have two within 15 miles of my house. When i was shopping for a new bike i asked them to just make me a customer as i would get the same bike no matter who i bought it from. Only time i buy anything from local shops are when they have a 20% off day.

Old 08-29-2013 | 11:28 PM
dragonflyrider
|
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ericedelman
Your local dealer should be happy to provide warranty or service work - they make a living off of that.
If the Syracuse dealer is Performance H-D, it's a good place to go. The owners live locally and are 100% involved in running the store. I have purchased/traded bikes and had service work done there for 25+ years.
Yes, we were at Performance just the other day, and went over the new 2014s with us, with the changes...maybe I should ask too, does a dealer you do most of your business care or hold it against you if you don't buy a bike from them, but you still have all of your work done there?

Like I said, this dealership has a lot more selection on the floor to look at and try out.

Old 08-30-2013 | 08:45 PM
edtompkins
Club Member

I have two dealers within 30 miles but almost always go Bergen County HD. I get an MVP discount from them, they have better stock selection for everything, I know most by first & last name and vice versa. Treated well there! Hell I better be - purchased two bikes and $5-10 thousand worth of parts, service & clothing there in the past 3 years. And of course the discount helps too.

Old 08-30-2013 | 08:57 PM
willbilson
Advanced

I am loyal to Laidlaw's in Baldwin Park CA. Very competent, good people. I know they are making money, and good for them. But I like their approach, service is great, etc. I also like Antelope Valley HD but haven't bought a bike from them - have gotten service from them, quite satisfactory. There are a couple I don't like, but wont name them here. Just an attitude and personality thing I suppose. Any organization's attitude starts at the top.

Quick Reply: do you have a 1-dealership loyalty?