General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I like riding alone...

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 06:56 PM
3dynaP
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: I like riding alone...

I do.

Old 03-05-2007, 06:57 PM
wolf1477
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I prefer to ride alone. When I'm in a group it's 2 or 3 people I know well. I don't do the big MDA poker/tub runs, I'm not that suicidal.
I also drink like a fish...'cept when I'm on the bike. I'm on the bike it's soda or water for me. Most people I know around here go from bar to bar and get plowed. Not my idea of fun.

If I wanna drink it's either a cab ride both ways or home. Don't need to spend no time in the Gray Bar Hotel or the hospital...we don't have hot nurses here<g>

Wolf, yup...I'm a wuss

Old 03-05-2007, 06:57 PM
Mikey 1450
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I have a select fewfriends that I enjoy riding with. I've known and ridden with them for years. I ride solo when everybody busy or I just have to get away. My wife and I can really knock down some miles.
Even the last toys for tots Christmas ride had me quickly move to the rear because of the crazyness of some of the others.

Old 03-05-2007, 07:02 PM
Big Sled
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 8,469 Likes on 4,373 Posts

Aw, you're just a fussy old coot like me too...who isn't much into group-think. It's gud though that groups of folks do align to enjoy their riding and other stuff. Guess we are are just OINKs (Old IndependentKoots).

Oh crap, I shouldn't have mentioned a new acronym.[&:]
ORIGINAL: went_postal

So... normally I ride alone. The majority of my "biker" friends ride rice rockets and they have a different agenda when riding.

Daytona was not much different for me... We were all riding Harleys but we had different ideas on the point. From sun up till sun down all these guys wanted to do was drink. From bar to bar... It was okay the first couple of hours... but then it got old.

And a couple of the guys... Very erratic riding style. Could not decide what lane they wanted to be in, how fast the wanted to go, etc.... It got very annoying. Maybe its just that I am used to riding on my own... but that got REALLY annoying after a while.

I thought maybe it was because I was the "odd man out" as these guys all rode with my buddy before. But... apparently they all had the same beef.

Anyone else prefer riding alone?

Old 03-05-2007, 07:10 PM
went_postal
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Big Sled

Aw, you're just a fussy old coot like me too... who isn't much into group-think. It's gud though that groups of folks do align to enjoy their riding and other stuff. Guess we are are just OINKs (Old Independent Koots).

Oh crap, I shouldn't have mentioned a new acronym.[&:]

So... normally I ride alone. The majority of my "biker" friends ride rice rockets and they have a different agenda when riding.

Daytona was not much different for me... We were all riding Harleys but we had different ideas on the point. From sun up till sun down all these guys wanted to do was drink. From bar to bar... It was okay the first couple of hours... but then it got old.

And a couple of the guys... Very erratic riding style. Could not decide what lane they wanted to be in, how fast the wanted to go, etc.... It got very annoying. Maybe its just that I am used to riding on my own... but that got REALLY annoying after a while.

I thought maybe it was because I was the "odd man out" as these guys all rode with my buddy before. But... apparently they all had the same beef.

Anyone else prefer riding alone?
I'm not THAT old... =)

I do think I am going to be a boulevard rider from now on though... 80 MPH in high winds is NOT fun.

So... either I need to stay local... or get a cruise control for the fatboy. =)

Old 03-05-2007, 07:10 PM
R1Geezrglide
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Alone or with my wife on back. I rarely ride with anyone else, unlessI know and trust their abilities well. I absolutely don't do parade style group rides. I've heard too many stories about someone being taken down by some idiot around them. Plus, it severely restricts your options should a cager come at you blinded by stupidity....

Old 03-05-2007, 07:17 PM
LIRIDE
Road Warrior

I prefer alone unlesslong trips.

I rideto/from workas often as possible and I'm always alone (I think)

"You're never alone with a schizophrenic." Joe Walsh

Old 03-05-2007, 07:27 PM
LowriderFXRS
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also prefer riding alone if my wife's not going along. I have a buddy with an FX Shovelheadwho rides with me from time to time in the good weatherbut he loves to hop the taverns. I don't mind stopping for a beer but I won't make a day of it. My wife rides her own bike and we've traveled thousands of miles togetheraround the western USA and as far east as Sturgis, SD. Not only do I enjoy sharing the road with her but she's a better rider than most guys I know.

Old 03-05-2007, 08:05 PM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

when I want to get stupid Ineed to be alone to really enjoy myself.There are a few boys I ride with and we have a blast.Cruising is fun alone just for the control you have over the bike,but I really enjoy having the wife with me.

Old 03-05-2007, 08:13 PM
Jumpman
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 28 Posts

From sun up till sun down all these guys wanted to do was drink. From bar to bar... It was okay the first couple of hours... but then it got old.

Were they also complaining all day about how dangerous 'sportbikes' are?

Quick Reply: I like riding alone...