General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: A poll
2002 Sportster 1200 Custom
34.38%
1993 Softail Custom
65.63%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Sportster vs. Softail (which to buy?)

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007 | 04:16 AM
Greybeardrider
Road Warrior
Default RE: Sportster vs. Softail (which to buy?)

Nuthin' wrong with an "older" bike! See my sig-pic below. My '87 was well taken care of, maintenance done, motor work receipts. Just because it's older don't mean it's gonna be a problem. I love mine.Ride 'em both,... you'll know what to do, even if that is to pass on both, and keep looking. Good luck!

Old 03-07-2007 | 11:23 AM
Cigar Aggie
Road Master

Besides the pics I'd have a mechanic check it out. Nothing like buying someone else's problem...

Old 03-07-2007 | 11:37 AM
KSims1868
|
Cruiser

Well - the guy with the Softail tried to bait me into a bidding war with another buyer...AFTER he and I already discussed the price $6000, and agreed I'd come meet him after work to pick it up. I was leaving work to go pick it up, and hecalled me to say "Someone just offered me $7000 for it...would you like to make another offer?"

I wasn't going to get into a bidding war. If he wants to do business like that...fine...but I won't.

I'll be going to pick up that 2002 Sportster 1200 Custom tonight, and I'm freaking pumped. I can't wait to fire that baby up and ride her home!! Thank you for all your replies.

Old 03-07-2007 | 09:47 PM
NYNickET
Road Captain

u gotta sit on each. they are vry dif bikes. they ride dif. they handle dif. if u can test drive each.

whats ur ridin style. what r u gonna be doin with the scooter? etc. . . it's not like we can give you the right answer. for me it's a ST all the way. i joke that the sporsters are chick bikes (I JOKE) but there is some truth to that. look around.

i ride motocross too. it is amazing that my HD and my Suzuki are both called motorcycles they could not be more dif in terms of everyything outside of em both only havin 2 wheels.

like the right woman you'll just know.

Old 03-08-2007 | 01:00 AM
IOMC Qball
Tourer

ORIGINAL: atomic

I would buy the sportster with 3000 miles on it. Wait a second I would buy a nightster with zero miles on it.

My reason for getting the newer sporster is that you only have 6K. That means you probably don't have a bunch of cash to fix things that will break on the Softail. At 14 years old things are bound to go wrong.
I'm with Atomic on this one

Old 03-08-2007 | 01:03 AM
IOMC Qball
Tourer

ORIGINAL: NYNickET

u gotta sit on each. they are vry dif bikes. they ride dif. they handle dif. if u can test drive each.

whats ur ridin style. what r u gonna be doin with the scooter? etc. . . it's not like we can give you the right answer. for me it's a ST all the way. i joke that the sporsters are chick bikes (I JOKE) but there is some truth to that. look around.

i ride motocross too. it is amazing that my HD and my Suzuki are both called motorcycles they could not be more dif in terms of everyything outside of em both only havin 2 wheels.

like the right woman you'll just know.
NY, There is a difference....Suzuki's a motorcycle....HD's a bike

Old 03-08-2007 | 01:14 AM
Dallastx
Ultimate HDF Member

I'd take either bike.

Old 02-28-2011 | 04:11 PM
KSims1868
|
Cruiser

And now...4 years later...I'm on a Dyna Wide Glide.
Funny how riding style and times change. In 2007 I couldn't find a bit twin for under $9k to save my life. Now...they are everywhere!!

Old 02-28-2011 | 04:22 PM
wsteed
Advanced

Originally Posted by KSims1868
I don't know where you guys get your info, but there is NO way a newer model (2004-newer) 1200 Sportster Custom (the ONLY Sportster I'd consider) is going to be available for $6,000 or less.

I don't know about your market...but at least not down here in Texas. To find a used big twin under $10K is a miracle in and of itself.
I gave less than $7000 for my 07 1200 Custom... bought it from a dealership with 7000 miles.

Old 02-28-2011 | 06:11 PM
Harleyrider_49
Road Master

Originally Posted by KSims1868
I sold it (eBay) when my daughter was born. That thing was georgous and rode like a dream!! Some guy in Delaware has it now. Sometimes I miss it...it was set up with EVERYTHING a guy could want.

Here's a pic:

...Well dude....I'm a lil' bias'd, so I'd say Softail anyday(like some others...) Sportster has the nimbleness and more finesse in the curves and twisty's over the Softail,but I don't go "blaze'n" through'm anyways....
Nice FXR, by the way,but......unless somebody's had the dumbazz'd idea to repaint it,or maybe you were "miss-inform'd".....that ain't a FXR3..(If I had 1, I'd NEVER part with it...'specially the "BlueFlame")..... Only came in Green and Blue flame, with the latter be'n the most rare(64 made,of which 9 were Cali bikes)....the original bike that launch'd the CVO line we see today.....Post'd this in another thread in the Gen Chat.....
http://www.chopperexchange.com/1999-...ow_Rider-73850

If I own'd or could get my hands on 1 of those......never let it go......

Quick Reply: Sportster vs. Softail (which to buy?)