General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Renting from an HD Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 11:21 PM
Jinx1C4
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just rented from Cycle City Harley Davidson in Honolulu. It was $200 a day for a 2013 SG including insurance. It's Hawaii so of course the price is jacked up.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:47 AM
cruzomatic
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

I rented from Caliente HD in San Antonio. The guy there who runs it is named Ricky. He's a top notch guy and treated me well. Like one of the previous posts, two weeks later, I had my own HD. Everytime I walk into the dealership now for this or that, I always stop by to chit chat with him a bit. Good guy.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:51 PM
TNCarters
Road Master
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

When I was bike shopping several years back had the dealer tell me they would take the rental price off the price of a new bike purchase. Kind of an extended test ride. Don't know if they still offer to do that. Most of the rentals I've seen were people that did not have bikes that wanted a day or road trip or vacation day rentals.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:55 PM
reacher
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by stonehouse
HI All,
Couldn't' find anything on this topic - so, wanted to ask if anyone's rented from an HD Dealer (ie. for a day/week)...going to be travelling to Memphis in a month, and wanted to do some touring...$150 a day seems a little too good to be true for a RoadGlide Ultra.

Any experience good/bad from anyone that's done this before ?
Protip - When you make the rental arrangements ask them if you can do all the paperwork over the phone ahead of time. Ask if they will ensure it is all ready to go before you get there.

If you do that, and if they do it all correctly, you can be in and out in 15 minutes. All they'll have to do is photocopy your license and have you sign a couple things. Otherwise they have to generate all the paperwork while you wait. I've seen that take almost an hour if you get someone slow.

The 4-5x that I've rented from a dealership, I've always gotten a bike that was a year old or less, sometimes less than 1k miles even.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:58 PM
HaydenHeywoodHayes
Club Member
Received 112 Likes on 36 Posts

I've got an Air Force buddy that lives in Sherman Oaks, CA, near LA, and when we go to visit my wife's daughter and family I spend a day on a rented bike from Glendale Harley and ride with him. Done it 4 times I think, 2 Softail Heritages, a RoadGlide and an Ultra, and each time it was a super experience. I think the rental was $139 for the day with my HOG discount...plus any insurance and tax that may be added. My buddy is an attorney and has convinced me to buy all the insurance I can so my final bill came to around $180 with tax. Planning on going this coming Spring and will do it again with Glendale Harley...great folks.

Old 08-26-2013, 02:42 PM
twohawks
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've rented a few times, and had friends rent on many occasions. Great experience -gives you time to get familiar with a type of ride you may be considering, or can get you out on a good tour if your ride is not up to it (for whatever reason at the time).

*!* 2nd What glide12 said... rent for a week to save money. And check with your insurance agent. I save a ton of money renting cages or bikes by using my own insurance coverage where possible (few additional bucks a month compared to, what, $17 a day sometimes !!).

In fact, I can log in (or call my insurance support agent) and bump up my coverage (amount and type) for the period of time I am renting for only a few additional bucks that month - way cool.

Lastly, check with your insurance agent first to get your info straight on what you can and cannot get and expect, then you need to contact the dealer to discuss your options... some HD dealers insist on you using their own insurance policy you are "signing onto". Some may be on the fence or simply ok with your own policy coverage... just depends.

Hope this helps. Have a safe and fun trip.

Old 08-26-2013, 03:50 PM
WolfDog
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I rented for a day in Kauai while on vacation in July.
Made all may arrangements via E-mail 3 weeks before and followed up once on the island 3days before rental and the whole process was seamless..

If you ever make it to Kauai HD say hello to Laree for me.... Great bunch of folks in paradise.. Bike was a 12 Ultra Classic, clean and in order and performed just fine, Great Time. Total was $189.00 and included fuel.

Also don't your forget to use your HOG card for a discount....

Ride On.....

Last edited by WolfDog; 08-26-2013 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Added comment.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:24 PM
njhonker
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've rented a couple times in Vegas as well....we went through Eagle Rider...the dealers were WAY high on their rental prices....I highly recommend Eagle Rider...they picked us up at hotel and dropped us off too with a free shuttle....bikes are always only year or two old...very clean and well maintained ...

Old 08-26-2013, 05:13 PM
XKnight
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I've rented numerous times over the years in WA, AZ, NV, TX and SD and have had excellent experiences each time. I usually pay about $100 per day with a multi day discount and my HOG discount.

Old 08-27-2013, 05:14 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Don't forget the $1500-$2000 refundable deposit.

I rented a road king a long time ago for 3-4 days. The rental was a birthday gift. Good thing I had a credit card with available balance to cover the deposit, which they don't tell you about until its checkout time.

Quick Reply: Renting from an HD Dealer