General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Accident Story.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 08:58 PM
Gunnerdave98
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to hear you're recovering well. Greatly appreciate the summary of how it happened and what you might have done different. I'm about a week into my first bike in over 25 years. Still getting used to it, and learning to handle it. Took the basic safety course before I bought it. Will take the suggestion others have made and find a good parking lot to practice some panic braking. The ABS is one of the reasons I chose the SGS. Hope you get on the road soon!

Old 01-20-2014, 11:11 PM
Ride4Him
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am glad to hear you will be ok after such an unfortunate accident with that deer. The outcome sure could have been far worse. I wish you well in a full recovery of all your injuries and rehab.
This brings me to something I would like to share with you and anyone who might read this post.

The most important decision we will ever make in our life is:

Do you know and have accepted Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior?

If you have accepted Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior and have a personal relationship with Him, then you will experience the JOY of knowing everything else will be ok, no matter what may happen in the future on or off of your motorcycle.

May God Bless you and your family and wishing you again a complete recovery from your injuries.

Old 01-20-2014, 11:34 PM
_Gir_
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Another important decision--having a good life insurance policy and accurate Will.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:09 AM
COZWV
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by C908
Glad your doing well, I was just wondering who your insurance is with and how well your claim was handled ? We all know how the insurance companies like to advertise how great they are. It's always good to hear how they really were when it's time for them to put their money where their mouth is.
Medical was fine other than they start over your deductible at the end of the year (which I think is BS for an existing claim) and they don't cover physical therapy long enough. Drops to 50/50 after 20 sessions.

State Farm is my Insurance Co. for the Bike. Claim was fine. Took longer than expected to finish, but I was either in the Hospital or on the couch so was not in a hurry. They covered my Bike and paid 80% on ALL of the bolt-on stuff including my helmet (I had receipts for everything except the helmet).

Old 01-21-2014, 05:14 AM
COZWV
Cruiser

Originally Posted by upflying
Not recommended.
Thank you very much Captain Obvious!

Grabbing too much brakes can result in a severe allergic reaction to asphalt!

New bike has Anti-Locks but I am also going to take an Advanced Riders Course this spring.

I was really cautious riding the new bike home and don't know how the wreck is going to affect me mentally. I think the riders course will help all around.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:16 AM
COZWV
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Ride4Him
I am glad to hear you will be ok after such an unfortunate accident with that deer. The outcome sure could have been far worse. I wish you well in a full recovery of all your injuries and rehab.
This brings me to something I would like to share with you and anyone who might read this post.

The most important decision we will ever make in our life is:

Do you know and have accepted Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior?

If you have accepted Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior and have a personal relationship with Him, then you will experience the JOY of knowing everything else will be ok, no matter what may happen in the future on or off of your motorcycle.

May God Bless you and your family and wishing you again a complete recovery from your injuries.
I'll never forget how fortunate I was. Thank you very much.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:04 AM
C908
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by COZWV
Medical was fine other than they start over your deductible at the end of the year (which I think is BS for an existing claim) and they don't cover physical therapy long enough. Drops to 50/50 after 20 sessions.

State Farm is my Insurance Co. for the Bike. Claim was fine. Took longer than expected to finish, but I was either in the Hospital or on the couch so was not in a hurry. They covered my Bike and paid 80% on ALL of the bolt-on stuff including my helmet (I had receipts for everything except the helmet).
Interesting,it so happens my only bike claim was with State Farm back in 2001 when I totalled my Honda Valkyrie. They had someone that wasn't familiar with bikes trying to settle my claim.It caused me a lot of aggravation and after I settled I dropped them on my bike and switched to Progressive. It seems like all the insurance companies are ok when they are just taking your money for the premiums. I have not had any claims with Progressive but feel like they are high on my 2010 Ultra. I have very good coverage plus $10,000.00 medical and my yearly premium is over $600.00.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:17 AM
MikeBel
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,565 Likes on 672 Posts

Heal fast, Godspeed. Mental healing may take longer than the physical, so take your time and trust your gut as you get back on the road. An accident is certainly a wake-up call that rocks how you felt about your riding abilities. You'll emerge a better rider; I know I did after my wreck.

Best of luck!

Old 01-21-2014, 08:32 AM
Very High Plain Drifter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by firefighter616
...Damn it you tree hugging twatwaffles move to SanFran...
Mmmm... Twatwaffles...

But seriously - glad you're still here to tell the tale!

Old 01-21-2014, 10:16 AM
Mountain Cruiser
Banned
Received 502 Likes on 321 Posts

**** man, that sucks. I hope you feel better soon.

Quick Reply: Another Accident Story.