General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Accident Story.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 02:37 AM
Msmall
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck man, keep positive!

Old 08-31-2013, 05:19 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,548 Likes on 6,277 Posts

I have a few questions. You said this was your first touring bike. Have you been practicing panic braking? Did you have ABS? Have you taken an Advanced Riding Course? How close were you and your friend riding? Were there more people in the group? Were the woods close to the road, or was there a wide shoulder/mowed area?
When I first bought my 03/non ABS Ultra I found it very difficult to stop quickly, without skidding the rear. So I called Wausau HD and asked them if they would have a Riders Edge Skilled Riders Course. They said they would if 6 people signed up, and a month later they did. It helped me with panic braking and turn maneuvers.
I see groups riding close together in deer country and always think they ride too close to avoid deer. Just wondering what you could have done differently in hindsight.
Make sure you get physical therapy. All my old injuries hurt more now that I am older. Good luck.

Old 08-31-2013, 06:43 AM
dansax
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

You're still above ground, thank God. Mend up first then go buy a new scoot. Good luck.

Old 08-31-2013, 07:30 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

Damn deer! They're alway screwing us up! At least you're still with us. Get Well and don't rush things.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:07 AM
COZWV
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron750
I have a few questions. You said this was your first touring bike. Have you been practicing panic braking? Did you have ABS? Have you taken an Advanced Riding Course? How close were you and your friend riding? Were there more people in the group? Were the woods close to the road, or was there a wide shoulder/mowed area?
When I first bought my 03/non ABS Ultra I found it very difficult to stop quickly, without skidding the rear. So I called Wausau HD and asked them if they would have a Riders Edge Skilled Riders Course. They said they would if 6 people signed up, and a month later they did. It helped me with panic braking and turn maneuvers.
I see groups riding close together in deer country and always think they ride too close to avoid deer. Just wondering what you could have done differently in hindsight.
Make sure you get physical therapy. All my old injuries hurt more now that I am older. Good luck.
No, hadn't seriously practiced panic braking this bike.
No ABS (but next one will)
Been riding bikes for about 35 years (mostly Sportbikes). Took the MSF Safety Course many moons ago. I am also going to look into taking an ARC. (Certainly can't hurt)
Only two of us riding that day
Couldn't tell you how close he was as I saw the Deer. He generally keeps a safe distance.
Area was woods and high weeds. No shoulder at all.

Will add more details later. Going to switch to my laptop.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:14 AM
BigMESA
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear but glad you're alive. Is there anything you think you could've or would've done differently so others learn from your misfortune?

Old 01-20-2014, 05:52 PM
COZWV
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BigMESA
Sorry to hear but glad you're alive. Is there anything you think you could've or would've done differently so others learn from your misfortune?
Hadn't replied to this. So hear it goes:

What would I have done differently? I would have to say I wish I had been more alert being it was getting dark. Seeing Deer along the road in WV is definitely nothing out of the ordinary and there has been plenty of times they were "RIGHT THERE!" but I usually don't get real worried until the Rut starts in the fall. I was not speeding. I was actually going slower than the posted speed of 55 MPH. I think my biggest fault was I was too relaxed. I was just cruising along thinking about some good Buffalo Wings (Was headed to the Restaurant) and not as alert as I should have been because the Deer surprised me and I should have seen it earlier. (My friend who was traveling behind me said he saw it before it jumped the guardrail. I didn't see it until it was in the middle of the opposite lane).

I also wish I would have practiced panic braking or took an ARC when I switched to a Touring Bike. Sportbikes definitely handle differently and have better tires for traction. I still can't get over how quickly the front end locked up and pitched me (Wonder if that had anything to do with why HD went to bigger forks on the 2014's?). Although I will still ride without a leather jacket at times I wish I had been wearing my riding jacket that day. My road rash wasn't that bad but was a part of the crash injuries I could have avoided.

I've thought hundreds of times over "What could I have done differently?" and I'll have to say that number one is "BE MORE ALERT".

I've got a beautiful new 2014 SGS in the garage, and whole lot less money in the bank. I got a happily surprised reaction from my Orthopedic Surgeon today when I threw my arm up in the air. I've got several months of strengthening and stretching left and a whole lot of exercising to do from laying around for months. I am severely thankful to have recovered as well as I have and count my blessings every day. (There was some poor Woman lying in the Hospital the same time I was there. She was in a coma from also crashing on a motorcycle due to a damn Deer.) I will be more alert from now on that's for sure.

I hope this sheds some light on what my mistakes were and helps someone else avoid what I went through.

Stay Safe, Stay Vertical and remember "Rubber side down at all times!"

Old 01-20-2014, 08:14 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by COZWV
Hadn't replied to this. So hear it goes:

What would I have done differently? I would have to say I wish I had been more alert being it was getting dark. Seeing Deer along the road in WV is definitely nothing out of the ordinary and there has been plenty of times they were "RIGHT THERE!" but I usually don't get real worried until the Rut starts in the fall. I was not speeding. I was actually going slower than the posted speed of 55 MPH. I think my biggest fault was I was too relaxed. I was just cruising along thinking about some good Buffalo Wings (Was headed to the Restaurant) and not as alert as I should have been because the Deer surprised me and I should have seen it earlier. (My friend who was traveling behind me said he saw it before it jumped the guardrail. I didn't see it until it was in the middle of the opposite lane).

I also wish I would have practiced panic braking or took an ARC when I switched to a Touring Bike. Sportbikes definitely handle differently and have better tires for traction. I still can't get over how quickly the front end locked up and pitched me (Wonder if that had anything to do with why HD went to bigger forks on the 2014's?). Although I will still ride without a leather jacket at times I wish I had been wearing my riding jacket that day. My road rash wasn't that bad but was a part of the crash injuries I could have avoided.

I've thought hundreds of times over "What could I have done differently?" and I'll have to say that number one is "BE MORE ALERT".

I've got a beautiful new 2014 SGS in the garage, and whole lot less money in the bank. I got a happily surprised reaction from my Orthopedic Surgeon today when I threw my arm up in the air. I've got several months of strengthening and stretching left and a whole lot of exercising to do from laying around for months. I am severely thankful to have recovered as well as I have and count my blessings every day. (There was some poor Woman lying in the Hospital the same time I was there. She was in a coma from also crashing on a motorcycle due to a damn Deer.) I will be more alert from now on that's for sure.

I hope this sheds some light on what my mistakes were and helps someone else avoid what I went through.

Stay Safe, Stay Vertical and remember "Rubber side down at all times!"
Glad you are recovering quickly. I've started trying to be more alert and have been trying to not get in a big hurry.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:43 PM
C908
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

Glad your doing well, I was just wondering who your insurance is with and how well your claim was handled ? We all know how the insurance companies like to advertise how great they are. It's always good to hear how they really were when it's time for them to put their money where their mouth is.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:46 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,226 Likes on 12,059 Posts

Originally Posted by COZWV
Grabbed all the brakes i could
Not recommended.

Quick Reply: Another Accident Story.