General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

heated clothing

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 07:52 AM
kraydog
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also just clip mine to my jacket pocket,but have seen Captain Itch's product and have been considering it also.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:19 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 161 Posts

I just use the on /off switch they sell. I used to run the wires down my sleeves, but that gets to be a pita after a few stops during the day. So now I plug the on/off switch into the cigg lighter and ty wrap the wires around the handle bars leaving enough wire to plug the gloves in. I leave it on during the winter and cut the ty wraps in the spring. I used to have the thermostat, but it burned up and the switch was cheaper. The gloves never get too hot for me. The only tip I tell anyone who has heated gloves is, always carry spare fuses.,,

Old 08-25-2013, 08:40 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by hogcowboy
How the heck do you all see the little red and or green light????? Or is that important? I've turned mine on and feel the warmth, then start the bike and things get cold. Look at the top and have a red light on. Turn it down to green and then back up an everything is fine. But what good are the lights if you can't see them?

Yes my belly gets in the way!
First - If you have to "fiddle around" with the controller settings, something isn't working correctly! You will probably find out, as most of us have, that depending on speed, speed changes, how often you have to stop (lights, etc.) you will probably be wanting to adjust the heat levels to temp changes.

Second - At least for me, the lights mean absolutely nothing. Lit light? The system is still on. When getting off the bike, the system should already be turned off. If you've forgotten to turn it off, you've also probably forgotten to unplug yourself anyhow! If you leave the system on the bike and plugged in, the lights would serve as a reminder to shut the system off.

Third - Having the controller at your finger tips WITHOUT having to take your eyes off the roads, or hand off the throttle is a handy thing. Once again I endorse the Captains Gadget Tank Panel.
http://shop.captain-itch.com/Magneti...Tank-Panel.htm

Last edited by jeffreydsilver; 08-25-2013 at 11:20 AM.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:00 AM
SJ58
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What if you're out somewhere in the cold sticks and the wire breaks? That would be my luck.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:08 AM
Johnny K
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jeffreydsilver
I got a Captain Itch gadget mount. It velcros to the dash and is easily accessible when riding! REALLY NICE!
Thumbs up on that. Also, get a pair of the short 1ft extension cords from Gerbing. Then you can permanently attach them to your jacket liner, and the ends will hang slightly outside your jacket. No more unzipping every time you connect or disconnect to the thermostat on the tank.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:26 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny K
Thumbs up on that. Also, get a pair of the short 1ft extension cords from Gerbing. Then you can permanently attach them to your jacket liner, and the ends will hang slightly outside your jacket. No more unzipping every time you connect or disconnect to the thermostat on the tank.
Thank you! I just had a DUH moment. The only thing wrong with that idea was that I didn't think of it first!

As far as being out in the cold sticks somewhere and the wire breaking, if you're far enough out and there is no cell phone coverage and the gas is running out and the snow is starting to fall and the coyotes are starting to circle - you're gonna die anyway!

Last edited by jeffreydsilver; 08-25-2013 at 09:33 AM.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:05 AM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 616 Likes on 332 Posts

Guys, we fixed the link to our magnetic gadget panel. Click here.

Old 08-25-2013, 12:48 PM
Hammerhead Pat
Stellar HDF Member
Received 960 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by big cahuna
I just use the on /off switch they sell. I used to run the wires down my sleeves, but that gets to be a pita after a few stops during the day. So now I plug the on/off switch into the cigg lighter and ty wrap the wires around the handle bars leaving enough wire to plug the gloves in. I leave it on during the winter and cut the ty wraps in the spring. I used to have the thermostat, but it burned up and the switch was cheaper. The gloves never get too hot for me. The only tip I tell anyone who has heated gloves is, always carry spare fuses.,,
I'm gonna have to try your way of wraping the wires on the handlebars. The sleeve thing is a PITA!!!