General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Don't break down in Gillette, Wy

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 07:09 PM
Juan L
Received 20,117 Likes on 10,260 Posts

71,628 views. That's a whole lot of lost business Chuck

Old 10-01-2013, 07:29 PM
08rking
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranfrol
I have followed this tread since the first post, just want to add a story that happened to someone in our Hog group riding to the 110th party.

He started to hear something in his back jug, and pulled into you guessed it Gillette HD. After looking at his motor and confirming it was a head issue. They said that because he purchased the new bike from his home state dealer, they would only fix it if he paid them cash, even when it was still under warranty. They stated that the other dealership can worry about collecting the credit from HD.

After calling his home dealership and getting both the General Manager and Service Manager involved calling the Gillette store, they finally agreed to repair the issue. He only lost 1 day, but said the fight for the basic rights upset him for several days.

Sounds like to me they will NEVER change the practices of trying to take advantage of out of state riders.

I can't believe this guy is still in business. And it's really hard to believe the MoCo hasn't done something before now. Do they both think if they ignore it long enough,this is just going to go away? 70,000 + views on this forum is a lot of riders and if just a fraction of them travel through Wyoming and don't stop at his dealerships, it's got to hurt his business.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:30 PM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by dan conner
why is every one letting the moco slide on this? they are the real problem...allowing a dealer to treat their customers this way. how long before we give up on hearing from good 'ol anne at corporate? the OP needs to send a written request to the corporate headquarters and insist on hearing back on this matter. when they ignore him or blow him off with "the dealers are franchisees and we do not have any control over their day to day operations, nor do we set policy on how to treat customers"--then you will see that chuck is not going to be made to do anything to make this right.

as a harley owner, i should be able to pull into any dealer in the country and be treated fairly and not taken advantage of. "there is a dealer on every corner to help you if you should have a problem" is one of the reasons i bought a harley. i was given an atlas showing all of the dealers and their locations and contact info. in case i had a problem.

shame on the moco for not taking care of this problem. they should reimburse the OP for his out of pocket expenses and the tire he did not need. then chuck should be "counseled" and shown the error of his ways--any more complaints and his franchise will be in danger of being revoked. put him on probation for a year or so. this is a good chance for the moco to put all their dealers on notice, and to show the harley riders that they do take things like this seriously.
Most franchise agreements contain a clause stating that the franchise can be revoked for fraud or other wrongdoing, and/or a suspension of the dealer license by the state, a felony conviction of the franchisee, etc. The problem is that the fraud itself must be proven in court either by an enforcement action or large civil action resulting in a finding of said fraud. Until then, the situation here stands as nothing more than unproven allegations.

Furthermore as reprehensible as the conduct was, I doubt that a fraud judgement would be levied in this case (either administratively or civilly). The dealer is free to run the business as he sees fit and to set tire repair/replacement policies as he sees fit. There are other motorcycle shops nearby and the OP was free to have his bike towed elsewhere. The fact is that the OP entered into a contract with the dealer and complained about it later. He had other options

Example: Les Schwab Tires will not do a brake job on any vehicle without replacing the calipers and machining the rotors (whether they are needed or not). They do not tell the customers that these parts are required, they tell them that this is the only way they repair brakes. The Bureau of Auto Repair in California has determined that this practice is not fraudulent because they are not making misleading statements. They will say the calipers look fine but it is our policy to replace them when we do the pads. The customers are free to go elsewhere (which many do).

In short, other than attempting to mediate the situation, HD has very little legal leverage in this case.

Last edited by dribble; 10-01-2013 at 07:55 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:02 AM
Glockmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by _Daswine_
Good thing I don't exist.
Crap, and I used my real name too.

Last edited by Glockmeister; 10-02-2013 at 10:08 AM.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:18 AM
Juan L
Received 20,117 Likes on 10,260 Posts

This is how it's done Chuck-

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...cotati-ca.html

If everyone will pass this bar code around, make stickers stick them everywhere, it is a direct link to this thread. Perhaps you could slip into Deluxe HD and stick one on EVERY motorcycle price tag....what a hoot!

Last edited by Juan L; 10-02-2013 at 08:29 AM.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:42 AM
FatboysFatboy
Advanced
Default Make it right

Chuck and MOCO need to make this right and let everyone know this wrip-off will not be tolerated. keep it going to 100 pages. I would leave my bike and hitch hike before going into Chucks stealerships.

Old 10-02-2013, 09:18 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,154 Likes on 6,704 Posts

Today's screw job special:
Let us change your oil and filter. We will change it with someone else's bike that is in here for a flat tire. It may or may not have more miles on it than what was in your bike to start with. Only $74.95!
We will also unplug your stator when we change the filter, rendering your charging system useless at no extra charge!
Get "Deluxed" today!
Sincerely,
Chuck

Old 10-02-2013, 09:19 AM
avetter11
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Just stopping by to state I'll not be passing through the areas of 'chucks' dealerships. Sorry to the WY board of tourism. I'll be spending my tourist dollars elsewhere.

Old 10-02-2013, 09:25 AM
Pete6114
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RHPAW
Today's screw job special:
Let us change your oil and filter. We will change it with someone else's bike that is in here for a flat tire. It may or may not have more miles on it than what was in your bike to start with. Only $74.95!
We will also unplug your stator when we change the filter, rendering your charging system useless at no extra charge!
Get "Deluxed" today!
Sincerely,
Chuck
To good to pass up. I'd like a appointment for 3pm today.

Old 10-02-2013, 09:42 AM
nebraskarider1
Novice
Default Please leave comments on FB

I put a link at the local newspapers Facebook page if anyone reads it please leave a comment.
https://www.facebook.com/newsrecord

Don't forget the OP is not the only one this happened to MY STORY is on page 9 of this thread, they have a history of doing this, Dunlop was even called in on mine and backed me up that it was ok to mix the 2 tires I was using. An American Elite on front and the D407 I was buying from them.
I also left a link on the Casper newspapers FB and the Cheyenne newspapers FB pages as well as the Wyoming Tourism FB page. Please comment on all of them so they know they are getting views.

Quick Reply: Don't break down in Gillette, Wy