General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Don't break down in Gillette, Wy

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 10:25 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,547 Likes on 6,276 Posts

I have been advised against mixing treads. I have Dunlop 402s and need a new rear every 6500 miles, meanwhile my front never wears out, so I am waiting for the front to wear out (22k and still good), then I might try a different kind of tire.

My dealer also doesn't like patching tires, so I can understand their stand. But in your situation I can't believe most dealers wouldn't mix them. I would be curious to hear how risky it really is, mixing treads. So that dealer may have been a greedy opportunist, or just limiting his real liability. I have no idea.

Last edited by Ron750; 08-23-2013 at 02:28 AM.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:28 PM
MattCo
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That pisses me off. I already contacted "Deluxe" about it to see if they will do something. It saddens me that people like this are offering services to riders without giving a crap about their situation. What if you didn't have that money? (I wouldn't have been able to afford a $1000 hit on my wallet out of the blue).

Not that they would do something, but the MoCo should start auditing their stealerships and making stuff "standard" such as the waiver that you could've signed in that case.

Fuken pisses me off!

Old 08-22-2013, 10:36 PM
vegashd
Banned

Originally Posted by MNPGRider
Get real, man. They are selling tires, not service.
Touché, that HD dealership is also selling tires. Do what your saying us that it's ok to ignore something stated by a manufacture?

I'm not condoning the dealers actions, however there is the side of the dealer and not wanting to get sued if something did happen.....

Last edited by vegashd; 09-08-2013 at 04:58 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:49 PM
Milwaukeebuddy
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't know what's worse, The tire rape job or the fact that they stuck around to let you in but not another half hour to make the repair to get you on your way.

What a crap hole!

Old 08-22-2013, 10:50 PM
ColoFXDC
Tourer

You got taken advantage of because of your situation. That's when you need to get to Level 2 ***-chewing. What you gotta do with stealerships, is waste as much of their time as possible. Time=money at stealerships since every position in the dealer is commission. Don't ever get backed into a corner at a stealer or show any sign of desperation. People at stealers DO know when to prey on people that are vulnerable and take advantage accordingly.

At stealerships, the lube they seldom use to perforate your colon has pumice in it. Try being a mechanic at a stealership. You'll never know when somebody slipped their dick in your ***.

Buy off the Internet and visit a local independent shop. Don't support the stealer's owners worldwide vacations and their kids ivy-league schooling. Stealerships need to be reformed and their customer process needs to be reinvented.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:04 PM
Jack Ryan
Cruiser
Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts

If the dealers are all so bad as I read in this thread I can't understand why any one would EVER buy the product that ties you to them?

Old 08-22-2013, 11:05 PM
TwinCooled
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 45fan
That's a load of crap. I guess there is nothing there I need to see.... Sorry they crapped on you. I would have put a pocket knife through that good front tire on my way out and told them to enjoy it...
My thinking also (well honestly I would have had the tires shipped home, found an indy, rented a truck...)but no freaking way I leave them with either of those tires in usable condition.

I have run across the no repair/replace only policy before and since I'm a little superstitious anyway (let me down once shame on the tire/road hazard, let me down twice...nah) that's my policy also. I'm not trusting my life to a repaired tire on a bike.

That being said, this dealer screwed up and instead of trying to help a stranded biker they *** raped him. HD of Gillette is on my no go to list.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:39 PM
HarleyScuba
Grand HDF Member
Received 125 Likes on 106 Posts

After the local Harley dealer, about 4 miles away, told me it'd be 2 hours to get to me, I pushed my Softail a half mile with a flat to a Honda dealer. When I walked into the service area all red-faced and out of breath, they said they didn't work on Harleys. Liability reasons. I asked if they'd let me borrow a jack and I took the wheel off, would they put a tube in it? Thank God I had my tool kit for some odd reason, so I didn't have to tuck my tail and ask to borrow tools. They agreed, let me borrow a floor jack and I had the wheel off in about two minutes. Back on the road in a half hour.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:47 PM
madcitycustom
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$680 for two new Dunlop tires? Holy guacamole! I flinched when I was quoted $400 for the shop down the road to put on new front and rear Michelin Commander IIs (not a HD dealer, obviously). If you never tried that Slime tire sealant, you should give it a go. I was about 200 miles into a new rear Metzeler when I got a flat. The Slime sealed it up perfectly and I was able to run all of the tread off of it. The stuff works fantastically.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:58 PM
Phantom6722
Tourer

Complain to HD's head-shed about Calvin the *******. And you thought highway robbery was dead!

Quick Reply: Don't break down in Gillette, Wy